Sign in with
Your question

Upgrades for the dell dimension 5100?

Last response: in CPUs
April 27, 2011 12:55:26 AM

Greetings, i currently use a Dell Dimension 5100 with a Pentium(R) 4 3.00GHz Processor(which i am thinking of replacing it without frying the ancient mother board if its possible, Considering this is a ancient computer), 4GIGS of ram, and a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT graphics card. Ive spent close to 400 dollars upgrading this computer from the piece of junk that it once was to a glorious gaming computer which is amazing (at least to me) so i have come to ask how can i upgrade the processor without frying this Mother Board? ...because..ya know mother boards are not cheap.
April 27, 2011 11:50:02 AM

Your right its ancient.dont think you will be able to get a quad or even a dual on that mobo its very basic and old. Best bet is to upgrade the mobo and get a quad core, AMD AM3 955 CPU OR INTEL I5 2500K are good cpus or even amd 640 x4 if your on a budget
January 13, 2012 9:28:17 PM

I understand that this post is a little old, but I wanted to reply, so that anyone searching for information regarding Dell Dimension 5100 CPU upgrades could get some quality information. Yesterday, I upgraded my Dell Dimension 5100, with Intel 945G express chipset, from an Intel Pentium 4, 2.8ghz CPU to an Intel Pentium D 945 3.4ghz Dual Core CPU, and it is working perfectly. I had to upgrade the BIOS from A01 to A03 (the most recent update), but other than that the processor is in, and working perfectly. The only minor issue is at the boot up screen, it announces that an Incompatible Processor is detected, but you can press F1 to continue with the installed CPU. I think the only reason that screen appears is because manufacturers really don't want users upgrading parts like the CPU on their own. There are no heat issues either, the Intel Pentium 4 84w, where the Intel Pentium D 945 3.4ghz is 95w, and the existing heatsink and fan system has been fine so far. I keep the computer running at all times, and haven't had any issues.
!