Setup MAC address filtering on router

widgetguy_th

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I'd like to beef up the security on my home network and I'm looking for some clarification. I'm using ATT u-verse which comes with a 2wire router/gateway with default encryption and firewall. I'd like to go one step further and add MAC address filtering so only legit computers can connect to my router.

I'm currently using both wired and wireless connectors. 2 computers connected directly via cat5 cables and 2 computers using wireless NICs. I was under the impression that using MAC filtering wouldn't affect the hard wired connections but I'd like confirmation. Anyone have experience in this area? Also, is it easy to add the 2 wireless connections? I kind of think I'm going overboard on security, but better safe than sorry.

Add the MACs of the hard wired ones just to be safe, i would also add the MAC addresses of the wired cards on the laptops just in case you ever plug them in as the wireless and wired connections are different NICs and have different MACs. On my router at home its a pretty simple table that you just drop the MACs into, its likely not much more complicated on yours.

widgetguy_th

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
It came defaulted as WPA and I didn't see a WPA2 option. I've changed the admin pass, but isn't that only accessible to hard wired connections? This is a home network, so I'm not afraid that anyone will wander into my home and change the settings.