Sign in with
Your question

Asus GF-8400GS Video Card - Yea Or Nay?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2010 12:13:34 PM

I'll be be honest. I'm slightly at my wits' end. Not the best time to be making decisions.

Two days ago the motherboard on my laptop suffered the electronic equivalent of cardiac arrest. Had it looked at, decided that a 5 year old laptop with serious use and abuse behind it wasn't worth resurrecting. Now, the same company with whom I dealt with also builds PCs. They offered a quote, I accepted, and am now looking at a little list of recommended components that will probably be going into the new desktop. Intel i5-760 quad core, 8GB RAM, Asus P7H55-M, 1TB harddrive, looking good... Asus GF-8400GS(512MB) video card.

Hmm.

I do a lot of work with the Adobe suite, Photoshop especially. I had CS2. It's ancient. It needs upgrading and bad. I also game - WoW, Halo, FEAR, the early CoD games, Assassin's Creed. I have every intention of running out to acquire the Modern Warfare games and ACII/Brotherhood. However... I'm not completely confident of this card, and online searches have not brought up a lot of information. Heck, half the results are for the Nvidia 8400 GS and the majority of the feedback I have seen is Not Good.

Are they essentially the same card? Is it even remotely worth giving it a shot? Should I just swap it out for another card?

Bearing in mind my intentions for the new computer (graphic-intensive work, games) what would you recommend? I have a slight bias to the ATI Radeons because they are what my old laptop came with and I've had a very good experience with them. But I'm open to suggestions.

I thank you in advance for your help.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 12:20:46 PM

The 8400Gs is not great. It was fine around 2008, when I played C&C3 on it as well as Oblivion and it worked very well. Things have changed since then, and looking at what you want to do with your system I'd say a GTS 360M would be better suited to your needs, or a 5650 from ATI would do it as well.
November 30, 2010 1:15:41 PM

plastichairball said:
The 8400Gs is not great. It was fine around 2008, when I played C&C3 on it as well as Oblivion and it worked very well. Things have changed since then, and looking at what you want to do with your system I'd say a GTS 360M would be better suited to your needs, or a 5650 from ATI would do it as well.

Thank you!

I do like the look of those cards much better. Although I will probably be going with the discrete equivalents instead. I managed to find the hierarchy chart and your reply has helped put it into better perspective for me. So thanks very much!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 1:42:03 PM

No problem! I'd say go with the Nvidia option if you can, CS4 seems to love my Nvidia card and is able to apply filters and transformations lickedy split! As for large scale automations CPU starts to play a factor there, but I'd recommend an ATI card for graphical work combined with gaming.

I mistakenly posted the GTS 360M above, the mention of the laptop above stuck in my mind! So ignore that, and the 5650 as its quite a runty card.

Instead, I can recommend the GTS 450, ATI 5770 or 5750. Those are mid-level cards, but depending on your budget and power supply I can recommend others to you.
November 30, 2010 2:47:54 PM

plastichairball said:
No problem! I'd say go with the Nvidia option if you can, CS4 seems to love my Nvidia card and is able to apply filters and transformations lickedy split! As for large scale automations CPU starts to play a factor there, but I'd recommend an ATI card for graphical work combined with gaming.

I mistakenly posted the GTS 360M above, the mention of the laptop above stuck in my mind! So ignore that, and the 5650 as its quite a runty card.

Instead, I can recommend the GTS 450, ATI 5770 or 5750. Those are mid-level cards, but depending on your budget and power supply I can recommend others to you.

No worries! My bias to ATI is in part due to the poor dead laptop; it had an ATI Radeonx1400. The laptop as a whole (Toshiba A100) stood up shockingly well to whatever I threw at it - 3D animation, running Photoshop nearly the whole night, running Illustrator at the same time to toss things from PS into Illu and vice versa, handling After Effects, gaming at something like 1024 screen res on FEAR and delivering pretty solid results. I am getting rather whimsical right now but that laptop, seriously gave its all in those five years I'd had it... anyway. I like ATI.

As far as price goes... I'd budgeted for approx. 1400-1600, and the total cost right now for the whole kit and kaboodle(plus monitor, keyboard and mouse) is 1400 on the dot; so I still have about 100++ to play with. The power supply comes in at 500w.
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 8:43:14 AM

greghome is right indeed, but if you want gaming AND CS performance, go with a GTS 450. You won't be disappointed!
December 5, 2010 8:40:31 PM

Alright!

plastichairball, greghome - thank you both so much for your feedback. After much deliberation, we decided to go with a HD5770(sorry plastichairball... ) In part, because yes, we do have an ATI bias in this household... It was very hard to shake.

However, since another of the computers will be needing an upgrade soon, I'm going to ask for a GTS 450 for that unit. ;) 

Thank you, once more.
-Dru

a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2010 5:32:49 AM

If you've not purchased yet, I'd suggest asking them about an AMD system. You can get similar performance, but save a little money, which can go back to a better card. I guess I'm the guy though that thinks intel is overpriced, call me biased lol.
!