GeForce 9800GT and Windows 7

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Have a HPm9402f Phenom Quadcore with 7gigs of ram. Upgraded the graphics to a 9800GT (PCIEx16) and the PS to a 500w. Did a fresh install of Windows 7 and now the computer will go just past the first Windows 7 screen then lock. I can pull up the OS if I go into safe mode and graphics does fine. If I switch to on board graphics everthing works fine. I tried disabling the on-board graphics, going into safe mode and loading the driver that came with the card, thinking that the windows driver is conflicting. Same problem, windows hangs just prior to finish. Appears to be a conflicting driver but I cannot determine which one. Also, I have set primary display adapter to PCIEx16. Is there a logical way to determine the culprit driver? Any ideas?

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I am not that familiar with windows in safe mode. Will windows detect and install drivers from an internet connection in safe mode? Unfortunately, safe mode is the only way that I can get all the way into windows

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
HP m9402f, maximum of 7gb pc2-6400 (3x2048-1x1024) exandable to 8gb. This is actually a computer that a person at work was going to scrap because of what he thought was a bad HD. I took it for parts and found it to be a bad pwr supply (not to bad for free). That just happened to be the ram that was factory installed. Once I get it up and running will approach the best ram scenario. Am upgrading for my son to play WOW.

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Ok new development. After clean sweep and normal boot into win7, I had windows search for driver and it said that the best driver was already loaded. Also the device had this error. Windows cannot start this hardware because its configuration info (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged Code 19. Any ideas?

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
After my last post I tried uninstalling the gpu driver and reinstalling. Upon reboot the old problem hit again (windows stopped just before finishing). Should I just reinstall windows 7 fresh with the card in place?

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Well, fail, fail, and fail again. Re-loading Win7 did not help. The system just does not appear to like the NVIDIA driver or as you said the card is bad. I currently have an email to EVGA to get their input prior to sending the card back. One shot in the dark, I am using an old CRT monitor for the trouble shooting. Is there a possibility that the monitor can handle the feed from the card with the generic vga driver but has issues when I install the nvidia drivers? Like I said just a off the wall shot.

gnelsen

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Card was returned for money back. Ended up finding the 9800gt with 1024mb at Best Buy for $129. Compared the gt with comparable priced ATI cards and still thought this card was the best bang for the buck. Installed and works like a dream. Thanks for all the help, once again the people on Toms Hardware came through.