New system, any advice

SterlingThunder

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi all,

Just ordered the following parts and want to know if there are any serious and real issues I should be worried about or tips for configuring it when putting it together:

Antec Lanboy Air Case
Asus Rampage III Extreme MB
Intel i7-980x CPU
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler
OCZ Reaper HPC 24GB DDR3 1333
OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCI-e 100GB SDD (Main/Boot Drive)
Hitachi Ultrastar 15k 600GB 64MB Cache HDD (Storage)
2 Diamond ATI HD 6970 Video Cards
Soundblaster X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
Bluray Burner
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power Supply
Windows 7 Ultimate

I have built systems before but it has always been pretty close to just putting them together and loading software. This will be the first SSD setup with lots of configuration options. Using this setup to build interactive websites, graphics work (Adobe CS4) and Stop Motion video as well as playing the odd game like WoW and Starcraft. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

The time to ask questions is before you order, not after.

In this case, I think you would have been better off to use a Nvidia bases system and it's CUDA capabilities for CS4.
I am no expert there, so check it out.

15K drives are designed for random access server use. I think there are some 1tb drives out there that will have better sustained data transfer rates which I think you want for work files.

It might be better to go ahead and spend the cash for 600gb worth of ssd for that job.

Don't know why you would need a discrete sound card.

SterlingThunder

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Yes but it is the weekend and I can still change my order, wont be filled till Monday. I really wasn't asking for a critique of the parts so much as a any pitfalls when putting it together I should worry about.

Thanks for taking the time though.

The sound card is because I liked the input outputs it offers.

TRENDING THREADS