Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Major Help

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2011 10:59:50 AM

First build. I took my time, I double checked & triple checked all the connections. When I plug in & turn on power I get nothing. I mean no sign of anything.

Could I have a bad PSU? It's a Corsair TX 650. I'm clueless at this point? I was very careful with static & all other precautions.

Please help!

More about : major

April 27, 2011 11:50:40 AM

Do you have another PSU to at least test with?
m
l
April 27, 2011 11:58:30 AM

Sometimes when you plug the power button into the header in the motherboard, you might put it in upside down.

I have done this countless times and doesn't hurt to flip the connectors around.
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2011 11:59:18 AM

Not to patronise, but there's a switch on the back of the PSU that needs to be flipped too. Also try changing the kettle leads over - your monitor likely has one too - to make sure that's not faulty.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 12:04:41 PM

I think you should take into account the two power_switch pins.Are you sure you put them both correctly?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 12:07:26 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I think you should take into account the two power_switch pins.Are you sure you put them both correctly?

+1

Have you tried a screwdriver over the jumpers?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 12:11:51 PM

When dealing with these issues, always look for the most obvious fault first, so work from the plug socket on your wall, making sure everything is on.
m
l
April 27, 2011 7:01:37 PM

diellur said:
Not to patronise, but there's a switch on the back of the PSU that needs to be flipped too. Also try changing the kettle leads over - your monitor likely has one too - to make sure that's not faulty.

Which pins are we talking about. Help me out here?
m
l
April 27, 2011 7:06:00 PM

PSU & PSU switch are supplying power. I tested with an electrical tester.

I will check the power button. I'm assuming this is one of those tiny 2 & 3 pin headers that all go around the same area in a tight fit.

The only other possible is the 24 & 8 pin power connections, but I think those can only go in the right way.

I just can't believe I don't get even the smallest sign of life, nothing, zilch, zero.....

What to do next?
m
l
April 27, 2011 7:18:11 PM

Make sure the powerbutton connector of your case is properly connected to the motherboard.

And you could always post some pic to show if everything is indeed properly connected.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 7:48:37 PM

is the ps switch 2 pin positive negative in the right correct placement?
This gives power to the machine.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 8:16:01 PM

nikf said:
Which pins are we talking about. Help me out here?

Kind of tough when you don't divulge much information.
Motherboard ?
Case ?

As long as the pwr_switch connector is on the proper pins, polarity doesn't matter.
m
l
April 27, 2011 8:27:48 PM

I recently purchased that same power supply and it turned out the AC power cable was bad. After trying all the hard stuff first I replaced it with a old cord I had and the thing powered right up. It took Corsair a month to send me a replacement, their customer service is "lacking" from previous days.
m
l
April 27, 2011 8:41:54 PM

delluser1 said:
Kind of tough when you don't divulge much information.
Motherboard ?
Case ?

As long as the pwr_switch connector is on the proper pins, polarity doesn't matter.

I'm suspecting the case, since the power button does nothing
m
l
April 27, 2011 8:54:19 PM

1foxracing said:
I recently purchased that same power supply and it turned out the AC power cable was bad. After trying all the hard stuff first I replaced it with a old cord I had and the thing powered right up. It took Corsair a month to send me a replacement, their customer service is "lacking" from previous days.

I tried that last night at 1:00 Am . I snagged the one right off my old system and nothing. Power flowing through the unit & it's cables, I'm suspecting the problem from that point.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 9:56:35 PM

nikf said:
I'm suspecting the case, since the power button does nothing

Swap the pwr button connector with the reset button connector and see if pressing the reset button will start the machine.

Still haven't named your components.
m
l
April 27, 2011 10:46:22 PM

delluser1 said:
Swap the pwr button connector with the reset button connector and see if pressing the reset button will start the machine.

Still haven't named your components.

i5-2500k
cooler master hyper 212
crucial ssd 300
asrock p67 extreme 4
g. skill ripjaw x 2x4gb
galaxy geforce pci card
rosewill blackhawk case

Could the case have bad wires? Let me know if theres any other part I missed that would help solve this ........Could me cpu be damaged? if so would that cause no power at all?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 11:05:09 PM

nikf said:
i5-2500k
cooler master hyper 212
crucial ssd 300
asrock p67 extreme 4
g. skill ripjaw x 2x4gb
galaxy geforce pci card
rosewill blackhawk case

Could the case have bad wires? Let me know if theres any other part I missed that would help solve this ........Could me cpu be damaged? if so would that cause no power at all?

You're not getting anything at all ? On board switch not lighting up ?
m
l
April 27, 2011 11:10:41 PM

delluser1 said:

Nothing at all. And just now I got no electrical current reading from the PSU. This just got more confusing....................
m
l

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 11:31:37 PM

Don't know how you checked the psu.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-powe...

If the psu shows signs of life move on to here
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.ht...
April 27, 2011 11:31:58 PM

delluser1 said:

That's it. I'm sending the PSU back. Since I don't have another one to try. I'm praying that it was doa.
m
l
May 5, 2011 12:25:30 AM

Best answer selected by nikf.
m
l
!