Any comment on HP Printer 8450.

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b α HP
January 30, 2005 9:03:47 PM

When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room for
three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC. I
wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
before printing.

--
Denis

begin 666 Denis.vcf
M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DUA<FEE<CM$96YI<PT*1DXZ
M1&5N:7,-"D5-04E,.U!2148[24Y415).150Z;6%R:65R9&I ;F(N<WEM<&%T
I:6-O+F-A#0I2158Z,C P-3 Q,S!4,3@P,C4W6@T*14Y$.E9#05)$#0H`
`
end

More about : comment printer 8450

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 3:39:56 AM

I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
system Should have read " 8 inks system".
Thanks

"Denis Marier" <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
> screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
> I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room
for
> three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC.
> wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
> before printing.
>
> --
> Denis

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 3:39:57 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
<marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>Thanks

This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.

>"Denis Marier" <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
>> screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
>> I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room
>for
>> three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC.
>> wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
>> before printing.
>>
>> --
>> Denis

a b α HP
January 31, 2005 5:37:50 AM

Oliver Costich wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
> <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>>Thanks
>>

> This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
> printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.

This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Asia:
Two weeks ago I had my HP camera picked for repair and returned in 48 hours.
Before Purolator came to my door to pick up the camera I had several
telephone calls with HP technical staff. One time I detected a Lingala
accent. I quickly asked for the name of the person in Lingala and he
replied back telling me his name. I then asked if he was working from a
Congolese call center. He replied no. He stated that he was living in
Toronto since 2001.
Other times, I had longs chat in english with the technical department.
When I asked where they were located they replied California. After each
chat I received an email transcript of all of what was said during the chat.
Several time I had conversation in French. Again when I ask where the call
was from they said Montreal. Their answering system uses voice recognition.
I concluded that their evening, night shift and week end answering services
may be outsource in Asia. If you have time to spare you should try their
voice recognition system.

> Oliver Costich wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
> > <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >

> >>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink
cartridges
> >>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
> >>Thanks
> >>

> > This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
> > printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
> >

> This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
> will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
> a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 3:21:20 PM

The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
of printing too much?

At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
turned around of 1 hour.
Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
on sale for $27.92 CAD.
I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
at four prints per sheet =
27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
good thing.

Denis Marier wrote:
> Asia:
> Two weeks ago I had my HP camera picked for repair and returned in 48 hours.
> Before Purolator came to my door to pick up the camera I had several
> telephone calls with HP technical staff. One time I detected a Lingala
> accent. I quickly asked for the name of the person in Lingala and he
> replied back telling me his name. I then asked if he was working from a
> Congolese call center. He replied no. He stated that he was living in
> Toronto since 2001.
> Other times, I had longs chat in english with the technical department.
> When I asked where they were located they replied California. After each
> chat I received an email transcript of all of what was said during the chat.
> Several time I had conversation in French. Again when I ask where the call
> was from they said Montreal. Their answering system uses voice recognition.
> I concluded that their evening, night shift and week end answering services
> may be outsource in Asia. If you have time to spare you should try their
> voice recognition system.

I find voice recognition systems VERY annoying. Maybe it is the Texas
accent. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 3:21:21 PM

Denis Marier wrote:
> The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
> locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
> of printing too much?
>
> At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
> turned around of 1 hour.
> Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
> paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
> on sale for $27.92 CAD.
> I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
> I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
> at four prints per sheet =
> 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
> amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
> photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
> Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
> print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
> good thing.

This is a matter of what you want, as opposed to what actually works.
Because people demand certain features, like no smear inks, and long
lasting prints, and low prices, companies like HP have developed
printing 'systems', where the printer, ink, and paper are all part of
the process. HP inks and HP papers actually are designed to react
chemically to produce better images, and longer lasting prints. I too
would like to see cheaper paper, but those who insist that their prints
last longer than THEY will have driven the companies to this solution.

Sometimes you are cursed by getting what you ask for...

--

Denis Marier wrote:
> The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
> locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
> of printing too much?
>
> At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
> turned around of 1 hour.
> Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
> paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
> on sale for $27.92 CAD.
> I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
> I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
> at four prints per sheet =
> 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
> amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
> photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
> Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
> print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
> good thing.

I can get prints made on the Frontier printer at Sam's Wholesale Club
for $.14 a picture (6x4). Unless I need a larger size (they get more
expensive quickly), or I need the print 'right now', then I print my
digital pictures at Sam's. The printer is reserved to special uses,
like calendars, greeting cards, and such.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 10:59:32 PM

I wonder if by using refills like those done by "Island Inkjet" are yielding
the same or equal quality as those sold by HP?

> Denis Marier wrote:
> > The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
> > locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the
cost
> > of printing too much?
> >
> > At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD
with a
> > turned around of 1 hour.
> > Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
> > paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper
was
> > on sale for $27.92 CAD.
> > I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the
PhotoLab
> > I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes
to:
> > at four prints per sheet =
> > 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
> > amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP
everyday
> > photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
> > Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo
lab
> > print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes
> > good thing.
> >

> I can get prints made on the Frontier printer at Sam's Wholesale Club
> for $.14 a picture (6x4). Unless I need a larger size (they get more
> expensive quickly), or I need the print 'right now', then I print my
> digital pictures at Sam's. The printer is reserved to special uses,
> like calendars, greeting cards, and such.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 10:59:33 PM

Denis Marier wrote:
> I wonder if by using refills like those done by "Island Inkjet" are yielding
> the same or equal quality as those sold by HP?

Highly unlikely.

> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Denis Marier wrote:
>>
>>>The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
>>>locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the
>
> cost
>
>>>of printing too much?
>>>
>>>At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD
>
> with a
>
>>>turned around of 1 hour.
>>>Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
>>>paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper
>
> was
>
>>>on sale for $27.92 CAD.
>>>I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the
>
> PhotoLab
>
>>>I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes
>
> to:
>
>>>at four prints per sheet =
>>> 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
>>>amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP
>
> everyday
>
>>>photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
>>>Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo
>
> lab
>
>>>print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes

>>>good thing.
>>>

>>I can get prints made on the Frontier printer at Sam's Wholesale Club
>>for $.14 a picture (6x4). Unless I need a larger size (they get more
>>expensive quickly), or I need the print 'right now', then I print my
>>digital pictures at Sam's. The printer is reserved to special uses,
>>like calendars, greeting cards, and such.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 11:37:47 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:37:50 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>Oliver Costich wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
>> <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>>>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>>>Thanks
>>>

>> This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
>> printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
>>

>This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
>will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
>a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

As they lost me. I had to spend 5 hours on the phone with India to fix
a software that should have taken 10 minutes, first because they
hadn't a clue about the product and second because I had to have
everything repeated 2 or 3 times because of the accent.

When that was fixed, the first print on Ilford glossy paper had roller
marks which India told me was a defective printer and offered to
replace my less than one day old printer for a refurb. I returned it
to the store for another with the same problem. I finally got to an
engineer at HP US that told me I had to use HP paper.

My Canon iP8500 is fabulous.
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 31, 2005 11:46:07 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:21:20 GMT, "Denis Marier"
<marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>The fact that I may not be able to use any other brand of paper then HP
>locks me in paying premium price for the paper and could increase the cost
>of printing too much?

Yes. And restricts you to types they offer.

>At many photo shop a 4' X 5.5" print cost about 0.25 - 029 cents CAD with a
>turned around of 1 hour.
>Staples have a sales on HP paper: 100 Sheets 81/2" X 11" everyday photo
>paper for $21.29. The same size for 25 sheet of Premium plus HP paper was
>on sale for $27.92 CAD.

The best secret in glossy photo paper is Kirkland (Costco house brand)
at 120 sheets for $20. It's repackaged Ilford Smooth Glossy and
reduces the paper cost to lees than 4.5 cents a photo at 4 per page.

>I do not know nothing about photo paper. To compare it with the PhotoLab
>I'll use the premium plus at $27.92. The paper cost for one print comes to:
>at four prints per sheet =
> 27.92 + 15% HST / 25 / 4 = 0.32 cents plus the cost of the ink and the
>amortization of the printer. If I can get away with using the HP everyday
>photo paper my cost would be $21.29 + 15% HST / 100 / 4 = 0.06 cents ea.
>Conversely If I can obtain as good of quality as the 0.25 cents photo lab
>print for 0.06 -0.12 cents using everyday paper on sale then It becomes a
>good thing.

I'd avoid the 8450. It's very expensive for ink and fussy for paper.
If you have to have computerless photo printing cheack out the Canon
iP6000D. My neighbor just got one and makes prints directly from
compact flash cards that are far better than the photo shop
processors. It's a lot easier on ink as well.

>"Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>> Oliver Costich wrote:

>cartridges
>> >>

>> > This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
>> > printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
>> >

>> This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
>> will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
>> a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??
>>

>> --
>> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:50:46 AM

It does NOT have an 8 cartridge system. It has an 8 color system. It
hold 1 tricolor cartridge, one photo cartridge, and then your choice of
a text black or a photo gray that has to be continually swapped. The 6
color sibling the 8150 hold only 2 cartridges the the photo gray or the
text black has to be swapped with the photo color cartridge. This is a
BIG PAIN IN THE ASS! The only advantage to HP is the print head is
built into the ink cartridge eliminating most of the problems with
clogging. However they cost substantially more and when you run out of
one of the multi colors you have to toss the others.

The best inkjet printer and also the best value is the IP4000 by Canon.
Goto to PC mag.com and read the reviews.

Denis Marier wrote:

>When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
>screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
>I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room for
>three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC. I
>wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
>before printing.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:50:47 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:50:46 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>It does NOT have an 8 cartridge system. It has an 8 color system. It
>hold 1 tricolor cartridge, one photo cartridge, and then your choice of
>a text black or a photo gray that has to be continually swapped. The 6
>color sibling the 8150 hold only 2 cartridges the the photo gray or the
>text black has to be swapped with the photo color cartridge. This is a
>BIG PAIN IN THE ASS! The only advantage to HP is the print head is
>built into the ink cartridge eliminating most of the problems with
>clogging. However they cost substantially more and when you run out of
>one of the multi colors you have to toss the others.

The Canons have a removable print head that can be cleaned or even
replced if necessary. The Epsons clog unless used almost daily. The
Canons use less ink on a dollar basis than either Epson or HP.

>The best inkjet printer and also the best value is the IP4000 by Canon.
>Goto to PC mag.com and read the reviews.

Better yet, try www.steves-digicams.com where you can find printer
reviews geared toward photo printing.

>Denis Marier wrote:
>
>>When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
>>screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
>>I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room for
>>three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC. I
>>wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
>>before printing.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:53:20 AM

You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.

Denis Marier wrote:

>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>Thanks
>
>"Denis Marier" <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
>>screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
>>I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room
>>

>for
>

>>three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC.

>>wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
>>before printing.
>>
>>--
>>Denis

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:53:21 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:53:20 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
>get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
>good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
>organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
>money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.

That's good if you have a PC. Even the printer supplied sotware is OK.
But even without a PC, you get better than photo shop prints for less
money with something lke the Canon iP6000D. My neighbor has no use for
a PC and lovers her iP6000D. The iP6000D also has 6 colors for
slightly better photo capability than the iP4000.

>Denis Marier wrote:
>
>>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>>Thanks
>>
>>"Denis Marier" <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>

>>>When shopping I got attracted by the new HP printer # 8450. It has an LCD
>>>screen and uses the 8 ink cartridges system.
>>>I do not know what is mean by the 8 cartridges system. It only has room
>>>

>>for
>>

>>>three cartridges HP? They say it can produce prints without using a PC.

>>>wonder if a PC is require to use the HP image software to manipulate photo
>>>before printing.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Denis

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:55:29 AM

I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Oliver Costich wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:39:56 GMT, "Denis Marier"
>> <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink
>>> cartridges
>>> system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
>> printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
>>

> This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
> will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already
> have a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 3:55:30 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:55:29 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
>USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
>They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
>money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.

I took back the HP8450 and bought the Canon iP8500. They have the best
"no computer needed" photo printer in the iP6000D.

>Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> Oliver Costich wrote:

>>> This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
>>> printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
>>>

>> This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
>> will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already
>> have a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 5:14:45 AM

measekite wrote:
> I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
> USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
> They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
> money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.

For the sake of their customers, I hope they continue to have support
based on local areas.
It appears that Dell learned very quickly that their business customers
wouldn't stand for the 'offshore' support plan. Now if ordinary
consumers would just insist on the same consideration.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 7:28:40 AM

The Canon IP8500 is the best narrow carriage printers on the market.
The best value is the Canon IP4000. The best wide format is the Canon
I9900.

I wish Canon would make a wide format IP8500 with all of the same
features plus a gloss optimizer using long lasting ink and would print
at least a 16x20 size.

Oliver Costich wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:37:50 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
>wrote:
>

>>Oliver Costich wrote:

>>>This printer has problems printing on paper other than HP's own. The
>>>printer drivers can be an issue and the support (India) is horrific.
>>>

>>This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
>>will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already have
>>a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??
>>

>As they lost me. I had to spend 5 hours on the phone with India to fix
>a software that should have taken 10 minutes, first because they
>hadn't a clue about the product and second because I had to have
>everything repeated 2 or 3 times because of the accent.
>
>When that was fixed, the first print on Ilford glossy paper had roller
>marks which India told me was a defective printer and offered to
>replace my less than one day old printer for a refurb. I returned it
>to the store for another with the same problem. I finally got to an
>engineer at HP US that told me I had to use HP paper.
>
>My Canon iP8500 is fabulous.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 7:28:41 AM

measekite wrote:
> The Canon IP8500 is the best narrow carriage printers on the market.
> The best value is the Canon IP4000. The best wide format is the Canon
> I9900.
>
> I wish Canon would make a wide format IP8500 with all of the same
> features plus a gloss optimizer using long lasting ink and would print
> at least a 16x20 size.

And it should retail for under $100US, right? Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 7:34:49 AM

The Canon IP6000D is the black sheep of the Canon Pixma family. The
photo quality is almost as good as the IP4000 but somewhat slower while
the business quality is much worse than average and painfully slow. Non
computer printing is an ink hogging money maker. You are better off
editing you stuff in a Photoshop type program and then printing out the
best of the best for less money.

Oliver Costich wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:55:29 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
>>USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
>>They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
>>money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.
>>

>I took back the HP8450 and bought the Canon iP8500. They have the best
>"no computer needed" photo printer in the iP6000D.
>

>>Ron Hunter wrote:

>>>This 'outsourced' support thing is getting to be the standard. When
>>>will companies learn that antagonizing their customers who already
>>>have a problem is a GREAT way to LOSE THEM??

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 7:36:58 AM

The photo quality of the IP6000D is marginally worse than the IP4000 and
slower.

Oliver Costich wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:53:20 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
>>get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
>>good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
>>organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
>>money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.
>>

>That's good if you have a PC. Even the printer supplied sotware is OK.
>But even without a PC, you get better than photo shop prints for less
>money with something lke the Canon iP6000D. My neighbor has no use for
>a PC and lovers her iP6000D. The iP6000D also has 6 colors for
>slightly better photo capability than the iP4000.
>

>>Denis Marier wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to make a correction to my initial post: Was 8 ink cartridges
>>>system Should have read " 8 inks system".
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>"Denis Marier" <marierdj@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>>for

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 8:00:22 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:34:49 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The Canon IP6000D is the black sheep of the Canon Pixma family. The
>photo quality is almost as good as the IP4000 but somewhat slower while
>the business quality is much worse than average and painfully slow. Non
>computer printing is an ink hogging money maker. You are better off
>editing you stuff in a Photoshop type program and then printing out the
>best of the best for less money.

The reviews of the iP6000D indicate it's an excellent printer for
photos. From steves-digicams.com:

"The printing quality is on par with Canon's previous 6-color printers
(the i960 and i9100) and uses exactly the same Canon ink tanks. I hate
to sound like a broken record but, the prints from the iP6000D are the
equal of anything that you'd get from the best photo inkjet printers.
The 4x6", 5x7" and letter-size prints on Canon Photo Paper Pro glossy
media look like professional photo lab prints. But, as with all
injket-produced prints, they will fade faster than dye sub or
wet-processed photo prints. "

The iP4000 may be a better all around choice since it has a separate
black text cartridge but from what I've seen from my neighbor's
iP6000D, I'd say for photos it's better, which is the only
consideration when you don't have computer. You are not better off
using a photo editor if you'd have to go buy a computer to use it.

Why does non computer printing use more ink than computer printer
printing?

>Oliver Costich wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:55:29 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I hope all of the outsourcers go out of business. Canon does their own
>>>USA support. They have the best printer in the IP4000 for the money.
>>>They have the best narrow carriage printer in the IP8500 for more
>>>money. For even more they have the best wide format printer in the i9900.
>>>

>>I took back the HP8450 and bought the Canon iP8500. They have the best

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 1, 2005 8:03:18 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:36:58 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The photo quality of the IP6000D is marginally worse than the IP4000 and
>slower.

Based on what? Looking at the results I'd say the photos from the
iP6000D are closer to those fro my iP8500. But yes, it is quite slow.

>Oliver Costich wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:53:20 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>You do not want a printer that prints without a PC. It is a gimmick to
>>>get you to waste and buy more ink. Edit your digitized photo with a
>>>good editor like Photoshop Elements 3.0 that also includes an album
>>>organizer and print only the best. You will get better results and save
>>>money. Again the Canon IP4000 is the best choice.
>>>

>>That's good if you have a PC. Even the printer supplied sotware is OK.
>>But even without a PC, you get better than photo shop prints for less
>>money with something lke the Canon iP6000D. My neighbor has no use for
>>a PC and lovers her iP6000D. The iP6000D also has 6 colors for
>>slightly better photo capability than the iP4000.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 2, 2005 12:48:09 AM

I think that is should be priced at $100.00 more than the IP8500.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> The Canon IP8500 is the best narrow carriage printers on the market.
>> The best value is the Canon IP4000. The best wide format is the
>> Canon I9900.
>>
>> I wish Canon would make a wide format IP8500 with all of the same
>> features plus a gloss optimizer using long lasting ink and would
>> print at least a 16x20 size.
>>

> And it should retail for under $100US, right? Grin.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 2, 2005 5:58:17 AM

The IP4000 has an additional black cartridge. It is black dye based and
used in photos so you do not have to mix black by using the other
colors. The IP6000D is almost as good with photos but somewhat slower.
It is very bad for business printing and extremely slow.

For the few that want to use up a lot of ink and print everything with
no computer, it would be an exceptable choice but costly. It is still
the black sheep of the family and cannot compare to the i9900 or the
IP8500 and is not as good as the IP4000. Even the IP3000 makes a better
all around printer but not as good on photos.

Oliver Costich wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 04:34:49 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>The Canon IP6000D is the black sheep of the Canon Pixma family. The
>>photo quality is almost as good as the IP4000 but somewhat slower while
>>the business quality is much worse than average and painfully slow. Non
>>computer printing is an ink hogging money maker. You are better off
>>editing you stuff in a Photoshop type program and then printing out the
>>best of the best for less money.
>>

>The reviews of the iP6000D indicate it's an excellent printer for
>photos. From steves-digicams.com:
>
>"The printing quality is on par with Canon's previous 6-color printers
>(the i960 and i9100) and uses exactly the same Canon ink tanks. I hate
>to sound like a broken record but, the prints from the iP6000D are the
>equal of anything that you'd get from the best photo inkjet printers.
>The 4x6", 5x7" and letter-size prints on Canon Photo Paper Pro glossy
>media look like professional photo lab prints. But, as with all
>injket-produced prints, they will fade faster than dye sub or
>wet-processed photo prints. "
>
>The iP4000 may be a better all around choice since it has a separate
>black text cartridge but from what I've seen from my neighbor's
>iP6000D, I'd say for photos it's better, which is the only
>consideration when you don't have computer. You are not better off
>using a photo editor if you'd have to go buy a computer to use it.
>
>Why does non computer printing use more ink than computer printer
>printing?
>

>>Oliver Costich wrote:

>>>I took back the HP8450 and bought the Canon iP8500. They have the best
>>>"no computer needed" photo printer in the iP6000D.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 2, 2005 6:00:11 AM

Non computer printing uses more ink because the people that do not use a
Photoshop type of editor tend to print all of their snapshots instead of
the real quality ones. I did not say more ink per photo but more ink in
aggregate.

!