Looking for help on component list for upcoming build

Coolmeadow Kid

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi all! first time post here, but I've been reading through the pages. I'm trying to put together a new system. Current is home built using AOpen AX6BC MB, Pentium III 600, between 1 and 2 gigs memory, Diamond Stealth S90 video card, and a Sound Blaster Live! sound card. Speakers are Boston Acoustic BA4800. So you can see, anything I build will be a big upgrade. :D
First, I don't game, so I won't be overclocking. This is just my play on the net computer for forums and email. I do some light picture editing, and may get into the free version of SketchUp for my woodworking projects. I'm looking for something that will be stable. The last computer I built for my wife uses an Intel D945GNTL with the Pentium D 840 CPU and has been rock solid. This is the part I'm hoping to duplicate.
I recently bought 8 Gigs of Corsair DDR3 memory, model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9, and a 1T Western Digital HD, and am thinking of the Intel DH55HC motherboard and the Intel i3 550 CPU. I plan on using my existing monitor until more funds are accumulated for a LCD unit, and will upgrade the case either as I build the system, best scenario, or later this summer, with the Cooler Master Gladiator 600 with extra fans. I will also use the onboard video and audio. I'm looking for confirmation that these items will be adequate for my purposes, or if there is something that is much better for the price.
Thanks for your time and help! Jim.

Coolmeadow Kid

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi all! second time post here.

Trying to follow the guide lines that "HeyImGodly" pointed to.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Spring. Hoping for May at the latest

Budget Range: the MB and CPU listed have fluctuated between $210 and $220 as a combined price the past few weeks.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:No gaming at all. Mainly web browsing, forums, email, some light picture editing, and maybe the free version of Sketch Up for planning my woodworking projects.

Parts Not Required: keyboard (Logitech), mouse (Logitech), monitor for now (Dell), speakers (Boston Acoustics 480), Power Supply (Ultra XFinity 500 watt), second HD in external case for backup (WD320 Caviar).

Preferred Website: New Egg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, Buy.com, M Wave, though their prices are usually higher. I wouldn't rule any supplier out as long as they are reputable.

Country of Origin: Me? Fort Worth TX. Parts? ??

Parts Preferences: Intel, but looking for information if there is something better for my project and the use it will get.

Overclocking: Absolutely No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or better

Additional Comments:
Now, with that said, I'm not sure how much it helps to answer my question about the MB and the CPU I'm looking at. There isn't a line for the items one is thinking about using. I'm not asking someone to research and build a system to fit my needs/desires as posted above. Just curious if anyone has any real life experience with these two items and if they will create a stable running computer. So here is my question at hand again:

I'm looking for confirmation that these items will be adequate for my purposes, or if there is something that is much better for the price.
Thanks for your time and help! Jim.