Restart will not work shut down will work XP OS

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Shutdown
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2011 8:16:57 PM

I need some help with a small problem restart will not restart PC I must click shut down then push the power button to restart I use Windows XP 32 bit my build is amd spider platform CPU AMD 9850 BE 2x 4770 video cards in crossfire 700 W OCZ PSU MSI K9A2 Platinum FX790 1.8 bios
2 GB 1x2 G.skill Dual Channel running @ 800

More about : restart work shut work

a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2011 9:16:54 PM

How are you attempting a Restart....Manually with button or software by selecting Restart?
m
l
January 29, 2011 10:24:08 PM

cmichael138 said:
How are you attempting a Restart....Manually with button or software by selecting Restart?

With OS not power button the one that is in the start menu that says restart & turn off
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2011 12:59:55 AM

Found this elsewhere if you wamt to give it a try:

Windows not shutting down or not restarting could be tied to several factors. For example, the presence of Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD can cause this problem. Installing the updated version of the driver for Easy CD Creator from roxio.com can fix this problem.

See the Microsoft knowledge base article q311806 for more details.

Another possible cause is that Windows XP was installed with the wrong power management hardware abstraction layer (HAL). Verify that power management is enabled in the BIOS. Open the Power Options applet from the Control Panel, click the APM tab, and turn on Enable Advanced Power Management support. If you don't see this option, the system is likely configured with the ACPI HAL and your problem lies elsewhere.

You can also reinstall Windows XP and manually select the ACPI HAL during installation to overcome potential power management issues with hardware (such as video cards) that does not support APM.

January 30, 2011 11:20:39 AM

cmichael138 said:
Found this elsewhere if you wamt to give it a try:

Windows not shutting down or not restarting could be tied to several factors. For example, the presence of Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD can cause this problem. Installing the updated version of the driver for Easy CD Creator from roxio.com can fix this problem.

See the Microsoft knowledge base article q311806 for more details.

Another possible cause is that Windows XP was installed with the wrong power management hardware abstraction layer (HAL). Verify that power management is enabled in the BIOS. Open the Power Options applet from the Control Panel, click the APM tab, and turn on Enable Advanced Power Management support. If you don't see this option, the system is likely configured with the ACPI HAL and your problem lies elsewhere.

You can also reinstall Windows XP and manually select the ACPI HAL during installation to overcome potential power management issues with hardware (such as video cards) that does not support APM.

Thanks I seen that same artical on Microsoft knowledge base also never put Roxio in also it had been working fine for 2yrs with same hardware I really do not want to do a clean install just to solve a restart problem thanks again for you time reseaching
m
l
February 9, 2011 6:10:27 PM

I do not have Roxio Easy CD Creator or Direct CD, power management is enabled I will not reinstall OS then wait for 120 updates then reinstall all my games reinstall flash player & adobe reader + java just to cure a restart problem Thank you you all for your time :hello: 
m
l
February 16, 2011 12:16:24 AM

Best answer selected by jerryman.
m
l
!