Radeon cards corrupting H264 HD TV - and yes, they still do...

Zchlirff

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
...at least in Denmark.

So, the problem is quite simple, but the solution...? I've bought a Radeon HD5750 card, and it took me hours to figure out that even though AMD/ATI's bragging about H264 decode acceleration, at least on Win7 64 all radeon cards simply can't decode the Danish DVB-T HD signal to a nowhere close to acceptable image quality. It's stuttering and pixelated, and no it's not the antenna. All the trouble shooting has been done, and the problem inarguably is in the way that AMD's hardware and Win7 are communicating. A part of the problem is that the problem is exactly in the middle, so neither AMD nor Microsoft want to solve it. They just point at each other.
Nvidia cards are not having any trouble at all.

I've followed desperate danish users (you can get links to these fora if you want) beg AMD to fix the issuse through their drivers, but only BBC HD and some others has been fixed. Danish DVB-T is still a no-go.

Sadly, the AMD forum admins and supporters seem to be in total denial or downright rude to the customers who ask for help. Polite questions get deleted and no meaningful answers are given at all, except for AMD pointing their finger at Microsoft.
This has been going on for around a year now, and AMD not even lists this as a known issue in their driver release notes - although being perfectly aware of it.

How, I ask, how can we get a reaction from AMD and an explanation on how they're going to fix this problem?

This error is very easily reproduced. Take some danish DVB-T HD TV content and play it on an ATI/AMD powered win7 pc. It's a horrible sight, but very visble.

So far I run my PC with AMD's H264 acceleration deactivated in my registry. It works, but what kind of fix is that?

Zchlirff

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
As far as I know, no. Actually I've been talking shortly to DR, Denmarks national TV provider, which replies that decoding the signal is not a problem in any other hardware than these AMD cards.

Btw, here's a couple of links to a fora where the topic is discussed too:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=134497&enterthread=y
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/video-cards-334/warning-pixelation-corruption-h264-channels-82941/

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
"Sadly, the AMD forum admins and supporters seem to be in total denial or downright rude to the customers who ask for help. Polite questions get deleted and no meaningful answers are given at all, except for AMD pointing their finger at Microsoft.
This has been going on for around a year now, and AMD not even lists this as a known issue in their driver release notes - although being perfectly aware of it."

Are you asking forums with people who have AMD cards or official AMD employee's themselves?
I ask this because AMD would never do that to a customer, they'll do the same thing NVidia would say such as returning your card or stating that the signal is not properly working with AMD cards. Never once would a Company as reputable as NVidia or AMD would be as rude as you mentioned.
How bout' contacting support instead of going to forums?

ttreen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi Zchlirff,

I know this in a old thread, but I just got a new motherboard with an ATI Radeon HD 4250 built on. I get the same problem on playback with HD Channels in Germany!
I know the recording is fine, as I copied that to my media center, which is over 3 yeras old, and it plays fine. So I can't believe this on such new hardware!

Can you let me know how you disabled the H264 acceleration in the registry. I've looked on some other posts, but can't find out how to do that.

Thanks,

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS