Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer won't turn on

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2011 1:21:44 PM

Ok, this is a tricky one. Worst is that it does NOT happen consistently:

From cold, the computer won't turn on. I literally have to unplugged the power cable from the PSU once or twice before the rig would turn on. And to top it off, I did NOT even do any change/addition hardwarewise and this rig has been up and running for a few years now....

Is that a sign that my mobo or my PSU is on the way out? They're afterall only abt. 4-5yrs old...

The rig: A64X2 4200+ Toledo @ 2.8G @ 255 x 11 @ 1.5 Vcore * MSI K8N Diamond Plus Bios 1.34 * Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1GBx4 @ 213:CL2/1T/3/7/3 * Zotac GeForce 8800GT 512Mb GDDR3 @ 700/2000 * Seagate Cuda 7200.11 SATA 500GB * LiteOn iHES208 BD * Thermalright XP-90 w/ 90mm Delta @ 2500rpm * Coolermaster Aerogate 3 Fan controller * Corsair HX620

More about : computer turn

April 27, 2011 1:56:02 PM

Start with the simple things first:

1)bad power cable
2)bad power switch
3) failing PSU
4) Failing motherboard

Sounds to me like a PSU starting to fail.
m
l
April 30, 2011 8:39:25 AM

Tx. I already did #1 and didn't help. The power switch does feel solid and visually I don't notice any problem. Last night no matter how many power cord unplug-replug it just refused to start. This morning I turned off the switch on the PSU and waited for an hour or so and FINALLY got the computer turned on. So I agree w/ you that it does look like the PSU is starting to fail. Bummer that it's still within the 5yr warranty but I can't dig out the bloody receipt!!!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
April 30, 2011 10:55:34 AM

No, test the PSU with the paper clip test first. Google it.

If it fires up every time test the rails with a multimeter. If they are in spec then chances are the board isn't accepting the power_good signal.

Also, if the PSU is never sending a power_good signal, it would fail to boot any board.

This kind of tester checks for that also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b ) Power supply
April 30, 2011 1:58:08 PM

Buy or borrow another power supply. Then it will be a simple matter to test out the theory that PSU is going bad..... If the alternate PSU doesn't work its a simple matter to return it.....

m
l
April 30, 2011 3:35:22 PM

To test the power supply with a paper clip:

One end in the green wire of the ATX connector to any black wire.

My advise is to take out the power supply and test it away from the system. Install the paperclip into the connector, then plug it in. If the power supply kicks in, then it's a bad motherboard. Overall, sounds like time for a new power supply.
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:07:29 AM

Proximon said:
No, test the PSU with the paper clip test first. Google it.

If it fires up every time test the rails with a multimeter. If they are in spec then chances are the board isn't accepting the power_good signal.

Also, if the PSU is never sending a power_good signal, it would fail to boot any board.

This kind of tester checks for that also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks. Would you happen to know once the PSU is on, any 'paperclip' method to turn it back off? What I would like to do is to emulate what happened on my rig: Turn the computer on, then 'softly' turning it off (i.e. without turning of the actual power switch on the PSU). Then to see if I can 'jump' it back on again...
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:14:23 AM

runswindows95 said:
To test the power supply with a paper clip:

One end in the green wire of the ATX connector to any black wire.

My advise is to take out the power supply and test it away from the system. Install the paperclip into the connector, then plug it in. If the power supply kicks in, then it's a bad motherboard. Overall, sounds like time for a new power supply.

Tx for the tip. I do hope it's the PSU as it's still covered under the warranty. However, on the other end, I'm a bit disappointed if it's really the case of my PSU going bad. Afterall I did a fair bit of research and paid good money for this decent PSU about 3years ago. My previous Enermax has been chucking along still fine at another rig somewhere and it's been almost 10years since I bought it...

On the other hand, I would be pretty bumped if it's the motherboard as I would have a REALLY hard time replacing it. Yes, I'm all about preserving these parts for as long as I could although I'm only a few weeks away from my new rig now... (Z68!)
m
l
May 7, 2011 8:22:26 PM

Spend the better part of the weekend taking apart the build and realized it was afterall due to a loose molex connector connectored to one of the case fans. Duh! Glad it was something simple and thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
m
l
May 8, 2011 5:02:05 AM

That is good news. At least you didn't have to rebuild your system!
m
l
May 15, 2011 5:07:41 AM

Well, I'm due for a build anyway but at least it's gonna be a build for a new system as opposed to a rebuild with a debugging purposes...
m
l
May 22, 2011 4:52:13 AM

Best answer selected by alecela.
m
l
!