Joystick trouble

G

Hi everyone, and I hope this isn't the wrong forum.

I've had a Microsoft Force Feedback Pro joystick for a little over a year. It's the original model, not the FF2. Lately it hasn't been working well enough; it skips around a lot and isn't very responsive. I thought it might need to be cleaned, so I took out the four screws at the base of the stick, and took off the top piece. I didn't see any dust accumulation, but there was a lot of oil right on the surface. It also seeped out of the stick a bit as I was re-attaching it. Does anyone know a) if the oil is supposed to be right at the surface like that, and b) what's wrong with my stick and how to fix it?

Thanks

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
have you added any new devices? you might just have to uninstall it and reinstall the drivers.... maybe update vid drivers...

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If its seeping oil like that it could mess with the sensor in the joystick. If I remember right the sidewinder series used the same basic optical interface that the new optical mice now use. If oil got onto a lens or piece or optical hardware thats probably were the problem lies.

Screw overclocking my comps got <font color=red>NOS</font color=red>! Point and click interface by Smith and Wesson