cpu to cpu data transfer?

G

Hi, Can anyone tell me the most common way to copy or transfer data from one computer to another via serial/parallel port? As in copying the "C" drive in computer "A" to another computer "B" temporarily, so that you can format the drive in cpu "A" and then copy/transfer the saved data from cpu "B" back to computer "A". A software program to do this? Thank you for any help.
Don

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
couple of options.

If you are looking to save data only - i.e. not trying to clone system A then the easiest way is a network link. A faster way if there is a LOT of data would be to remove the hdd from a and attach it as a second drive in B, changeing the disk, which is presumeably IDE to a slave device.

You cannot do this though if you are not planning to reinstall the OS on machine A. You would need to use something like Norton ghost in that case to make an image of the hdd from machine A.

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

FatBurger

Illustrious
You cannot do this though if you are not planning to reinstall the OS
What he means is if you want an EXACT copy of the way the OS was before (if you're doing a hard drive update or something). If you're reinstalling the OS from scratch, you wouldn't want to make a perfect mirror image of the drive.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

If you don't have a network...then the easiest and cheapest way to transfer data from Comp. A to Comp. B is to purchase a Null Modem Cable. It connects to the either the serial or parallel (can't remember).

Just connect the two computers using the Cable and then set up a network like you normally would.

If you don't know how, just use the Network Wizard.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

Thank you for more info on data transfer,via Null modem cable etc. It is very nice you you people to spend the time sharing information.

I just built my first cpu with an Asus A7A 266 w/AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz 266 processor, etc. I was able to get it up and running nicely until I installed the Asus CD that came with the new motherboard. The programs on the CD were Probe,etc.for monitoring cpu and fans. All was fine untill I insatlled the CD's PC-cillen program...blue screen error messages started occuring and finally horked my harddrive so bad it won't boot up. I have tried Dos "C:\scandisk" scandisk screen comes up and tries to scan but freezes/hangs up forever.......I tried Dos C:\FORMAT /s and it starts and formats 1% then freezes up??? I have emailed Asus and mentioned this but on the weekend not sure when I will get a reply.
Best regards,
Don

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Regarding the format failure.

If you boot from a startup dos floppy, to a dos prompt...

A format failure is indicitive of a hardware problem, it doesn't matter what is already installed on the hard drive. Nothing could affect the format procedure, as nothing has been loaded into memory.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Oh it should be FORMAT C: /s

(from the A: prompt)

And you don't need the /s switch if you're installing an O/S from a boot disk and a CD (which I assume you are, but I don't even know what O/S you're using).

Rambling now, think I'd better shut up.

<i> I wandered lonely as a cloud
that floats on high, o'er vales and hills,
when all at once I had a doubt,
and wondered, what was in those pills?</i>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hammerhead on 06/24/01 09:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Besides the fact that you need to boot from a Windows boot disk and type format c: from a:, Don't install the problematic software: Pc Cillin if you attempt to install again try setting the memory scan, and file scan on startup to disabled. Sounds really wierd for that to happen. Do you have a slew of things starting up in the background?
You can download InoculateIT which is also a free Virus Checking program as long as its for personal use. Easy to use.

Dantin