Sign in with
Your question

Wont Install on my G4? Also: Loud Fan?

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 26, 2010 3:34:49 AM

I have a Power Mac G4 "Quicksliver"...
I have MAC OS X 10.1 Panther retail version CD set...

Specs:
G4 733MHz
1.5GB SDR SDRAM
Combo Drive
4port USB Mac-Compatible Add-in (PCI) Card
and an unformatted 40gb seagate ide drive. so is stuck it in, blah blah blah...
anyway, when you get to the point within the installer where you select destination volume, nothing showed up. so i went to Disk Utility, and erased it to mac os x enxtended (journaled) file system. so then i quit disk utility, and i was back at the installer. Now it shows the drive, but it has a red exclamation point and it says something like: "mac os x cant install on this volume cuz you cant use it to start up ur computer. so i went back to disk utility and wrote over it with 0s. no luck, tried 2 partitions. no luck...
so how do i fix it?

Also, the psu fan is very noisy. and it feels like its blowing LOTS! of air but its very cold air, so can i put in a slower/quiter fan?

More about : wont install loud fan

July 28, 2010 12:51:06 AM

shovenose said:
I have a Power Mac G4 "Quicksliver"...
I have MAC OS X 10.1 Panther retail version CD set...

Specs:
G4 733MHz
1.5GB SDR SDRAM
Combo Drive
4port USB Mac-Compatible Add-in (PCI) Card
and an unformatted 40gb seagate ide drive. so is stuck it in, blah blah blah...
anyway, when you get to the point within the installer where you select destination volume, nothing showed up. so i went to Disk Utility, and erased it to mac os x enxtended (journaled) file system. so then i quit disk utility, and i was back at the installer. Now it shows the drive, but it has a red exclamation point and it says something like: "mac os x cant install on this volume cuz you cant use it to start up ur computer. so i went back to disk utility and wrote over it with 0s. no luck, tried 2 partitions. no luck...
so how do i fix it?

Also, the psu fan is very noisy. and it feels like its blowing LOTS! of air but its very cold air, so can i put in a slower/quiter fan?

1st fans are not a big issue, I've used certain computers and external hard drives that their fan sounded pretty loud and still performed great for years!

2nd this is a complex issue you have with your harddrive. There is something in it, that the operating system knows just wont work right and you may end up crashing (or if the drive is damaged enough with endless spinning beach ball once you start up) nobody likes that. Another issue you may be having the harddrive might not be large enough. With OS 10.1+ I believe there is a cap and 10 GB is probably the minimum. The system itself will take a good 6 GB, which will give you 3 or 4 free, that's unacceptable to work with and OS X wont even allow it. Another problem might be that the harddrive might have conflicting jumper settings. Did this computer have a working OS? And if it did which?

More specifications for your computer are here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats...

Which means if you can get a cheap copy of OS 9.2 you may be able to install it, however I strongly recommend you run OS X on this machine, due to OS 9.2 no longer supported or being able to connect to the web with ease these days.

This may sound harsh but the only solution to your problem might be to get a new harddrive. It sounds like it just wont work. If you bought this Mac off eBay or similar, consider that sometimes people just grab any PC harddrive and as long as it's seen by the install disc they consider it to be acceptable. If your machine didn't boot from out of the box when you got it, there might be something that's not right there. However, the expense of a new 40GB or so harddrive for that machine may not be too much.

Consider that Firewire harddrives are also an option! And opening the machine is not necessary, for some it might be cumbersome to have an external device but for other people who have an extra 6 inches on their desk is the ideal choice: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

Good luck!
m
l
July 28, 2010 1:36:01 AM

ok well i got it working actually-i didnt really do anything to fix it i just restarted. and it said i could install it. its a 40gb $e@g@te crap (you know what i mean). the computer is working ok its just slow as hell. and installing it only used up like 3.1 and then a little more when i added all the optional stuff.
m
l
!