BSOD - After new Motherboard, CPU and RAM

Starwop

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
So I have been trying to fix my desktop these last couple of days, but I have yet to succeed, so now I'm going to ask you.

Computer specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500K
Power supply: Corsair TX650W
Graphics-card: GeForce GTX 460
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
Hard disk: I can't quite remember the name, but it's the only thing left from a shop-computer I bought some years ago (well, I also have a CD/DVD drive).

Description of problem:
1. I turn on the computer.
2. Computer loads windows.
3. Computer goes to BSOD.

Blue screen code:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Motherboard lights, that light up (in order):
1. CPU_LED
2. DRAM_LED
3. VGA_LED
4. BOOT_DEVICE_LED

What I've tried:

1. I have of course tried searching the net, and I have tried a lot of different things, but none has worked so far.

2. I have tried to simply switch the hard disk, but I still get the same blue screen.

3. I have tried using my old memory sticks, and I've done a RAM/Memory test, or what ever they are called (tried only using one stick, and in different slots/ran a diagnostic scan too).

4. I have tried repairing the hard disk with start-up repair, and with a repair disc.

5. I have tried running the "chkdsk c: /r" command from the "Recovery Console".

6. I have tried plugging the DVI cable to the motherboard instead of the graphics card, and I've also tried completely removing the graphics card.

7. I have tried running the disc that comes with the motherboard "Intel Z68 Chipset Support DVD Rev.577.06".

8. I have tried following a piece of paper by going to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976, and burning a CD with the file, inserting the CD and booting from it. It didn't work, maybe I somehow burned it wrongly or what?

9. Changing the SATA Mode from "AHCI" to "IDE MODE".

I can't really remember what else I have tried, but if I do, the thread will be updated. Look for this to see updates: "EDIT: stuff".

I hope somebody can help me, I appreciate your help and time.

Best regards.

- Marcus

Based on the trouble-shooting you have done so far, I would re-check all the data and power cables attached to the HDDs, the GPU(s), and the motherboard, including the CPU_PWR cable. I would also re-seat the RAM and the GPU card(s) - and any others you have added. If this doesn't solve the problem, then enter the BIOS at power-on and reset the BIOS settings to "Failsafe" or other default settings option, then save those settings and re-start the system.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Have you previously been using this system or is this a new build? How far are you getting to Windows before it gives the error? Do you have the Vista disc to do a Windows repair install? Have you tried different SATA ports on the motherboard and other SATA settings in BIOS besides IDE/AHCI?

Starwop

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the read lights disappear after some seconds, and that I can't enter "Safe mode" when I press "F8". Since I can't edit my own thread, I have to mention it here.

Based on the trouble-shooting you have done so far, I would re-check all the data and power cables attached to the HDDs, the GPU(s), and the motherboard, including the CPU_PWR cable. I would also re-seat the RAM and the GPU card(s) - and any others you have added. If this doesn't solve the problem, then enter the BIOS at power-on and reset the BIOS settings to "Failsafe" or other default settings option, then save those settings and re-start the system.
Thanks, I will give that a try :)

Have you previously been using this system or is this a new build? How far are you getting to Windows before it gives the error? Do you have the Vista disc to do a Windows repair install? Have you tried different SATA ports on the motherboard and other SATA settings in BIOS besides IDE/AHCI?
Well, it's kinda both. The computer started out as a shop bought computer, then moved everything over to a new case (CM Storm Sniper) and added a new graphics card + power supply. Now I've added a new Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler and RAM.

I get to the "Windows Corporation" loading screen, it loads for some time and then goes to blue screen.

Yes I have a Vista disc, that's what I called a "repair disc".

I have tried other SATA ports, but I haven't tried the other two options (disabled/RAID) in SATA settings in BIOS.

Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread.

First big mistake you made was to try and start windows in normal mode after you put in new stuff into the rig.
Whenever you change the hardware in the rig, the next step at boot up is to enter the BIOS and check if everything is as you had left it.
Secondly, boot into Safe Mode, let windows get a hint of something new in the system and let it configure it's own drivers for it.
Then reboot into normal mode and use the latest Driver for the equipment put from the Main Chipset Manufacturers site.
Thirdly, if you changed stuff like the GPU from ATI to Nvidia or visa versa, you need to first clean up the drivers of the earlier GPU and then put in the new GPU, since conflicting companies usually have a problem even at their software levels.
A sane thing now would be to do a clean install and see if you're getting a BSOD during the install process itself.
If so, then we can certainly say , you're having a hardware problem.

Starwop

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I'll remember that, though the first time I changed some hardware, I did not need to do that.

As I mentioned in my last post, I can't boot into "Safe Mode".

About the GPU thing:
Well, it's kinda both. The computer started out as a shop bought computer, then moved everything over to a new case (CM Storm Sniper) and added a new graphics card + power supply. Now I've added a new Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler and RAM.

There was time in between the changes, so I don't think the problem is with the GPU.

Okay, I see,- I have been putting that off because I have a lot of valuable stuff on my hard disk. But now that I think of it, I do have another one, so I'll just use that one,

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Usually changing to a new mobo/chipset gives this problem. Changing only the CPU could not trigger this through..

Just reinstall windows (do clean install, do not try to repair) and you'll be fine!

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
when you say you cannot enter safe mode by pressing F8, do you mean the entry in the menu does not work, or are you able to boot in safe boot mode, but the system still throws a BSOD at you, or are you unable to enter the boot menu by pressing F8?

If you cannot get into the boot menu it is probably a timing problem, start tapping F8 like mad after the BIOS selftest is complete.

quenlin

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I thought I would explain to eveyone how changing out mother boards with Windows OS's is actually pretty easy to do without doing any preparation to your hard drive (C:\) while in the actual OS. (Especially Windows 7 and higher)

REPLACING A NEW MOTHERBOARD AND KEEING THE SAME HARD DRIVE

Prep Steps.....
You will need your Windows Install disk. Full or upgrade will work
You will need log into your Motherboard's Manufactor website.. i.e (ASUS) and download the latest Rapid Storage Technology drivers incase you are using a newer SSD, etc. That is the MOST important drivers for this operation (you may have to unpackage them.. i.e. zip, exe.. etc.. (Some manufacturers do not have the latest RST drivers on their new CD Distro's yet.) Place the RST drivers onto a thumb drive and have it ready for the below steps.

1. Insert your windows install disk into your computer and then shut it completey down and unplug the power cord form the Power Supply.
2. Open the case and unplug all the power and data cables and unscrew all cards from your motherboard.
3. Remove all the screws from your motherboard and gently remove it from your tower.
4. Remove CPU from the old motherboard and put it on the new or in my case when I did this I put my new i7 3770 chip on my new (1155) z77 motherboard with a sweet cooling fan.
5. Carefully insert your new mother board. (if ATX case please make sure you have an ATX Motherboard)
6. Reconnect all the power coards, data cables, video cards, etc to your new motherboard.
7. Close the cover and start your computer hitting <F12> to give you boot options and the ability to boot using your Windows Install Disk.
8. Once the boot program is loaded you will have the option to repair/restore your computer. Just click on the repair and follow the steps.
9. If your computer repairs great.. but if it doesnt, and most will fail.. then you to select to start up the advanced options and you want to use the command line.
10. Once you bring up the command line, eject the windows boot disk from your CD ROM and insert your Motherboard distro CD into the slot.
11. Now on the command line interface and figured out what letter your cdrom drive is.. Probably D:\ and your thumbdrive is probably E:\..or F:\ (you can change to the drive letters by typing E: <ENTER> or D: <ENTER> and then typing DIR to see what is on the drive, etc. (Hopefully if you are doing this, you already know what you are doing.)
12. You will now type DISM /Image:C:\ /Add-Driver /driver D:\ /recurse (This will grab and install all of your distro chipset drivers from your MB CD.
13. Then after you get a cup of coffee and that completes, then do the same thing for the Rapid Storage Technology Drivers on your thumb drive so you make sure you have the latest ones especially if your using an SSD drive. DISM /Image:C:\ /Add-Driver /driver E:\ /recurse
14. Once that is done, replace the windows boot disk back into your computer and reboot.
15. Once your boot into the BIOS and vefify all your settings are correct, then allow it to boot into Windows and Life is good again!!

Final Step........ You have 3 days to RE-ACTIVATE your Windows OS Copy.. which should be painless.. If you do not activate in the 3 day period, then you may have to call Microsoft and explain that you swapped out your Motherboard and you need them to allow activiation again for your license to work.

ENJOY good computing again!

Quenlin

how70ard

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

giorgosh

Honorable
May 27, 2013

Tried your suggestion, and drivers where transfered successfully, however when restarted my pc goes directly to start up repair instead of loading windows. What has gonne wrong?

giorgosh

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I ran checkdsk and sfc/scannow and still nothing.. Even if i choose safe mode on boot menu it again goes into system repair where there is no solution found :(

Isosto

Honorable
May 30, 2013
As quenlin posted, the DISM command works, I recently found it and I was amazed it was possible. I hadn't used the right Google search phrases to find the following link though.

http://www.dowdandassociates.com/content/howto-repair-windows-7-install-after-replacing-motherboard/

It's basically the same as his procedure, but broken down and in more detail with pictures.

oceancloud

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

When i looked for the windows 7 drivers for my MObo I only find audio drivers. What do I do in this case.. use drivers from a different mobo?

Isosto

Honorable
May 30, 2013

You should have an Inf update, or Chipset drivers folder, which should include the drivers for the motherboard storage controller.

Nov 5, 2013
Hey guys, I know it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but just wanted to let you all know that the command is DISM /Image:C:\ /Add-Driver /Driver:E:\ /recurse or whatever your drive letters are, the original poster of the solution left out the colon in /Driver:E:\ giving you the Error: 87

herpderpalot

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Guys. Boot to ultimate boot cd on a thumb drive (freeware: http://www.ubcd4win.com/)

Go to the registry tools, and use "Fix HDC" to fix the Hard Drive Controller when replacing your motherboard.

It was designed in the XP days but works just fine on Win7. Just did this yesterday, worked like a charm.

Shablammm

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

This saved my life. I ran UBCD4win from a cd, and it gave me a warning "driver not found" when I ran fix_hdc, but it worked perfectly.
Thanks!!

myhm

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

Thank you for posting, Quenlin. The DISM command worked for me and saved me from a complete reinstall. I replaced my motherboard (new board MSI Z87-G45 GAMING and processor (Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB). I was replacing an old MSI motherboard and Intel Dual Processor). The Microsoft Startup Repair did not work and I could not do an upgrade or repair. I saw this and put my Windows 7 64-bit original CDROM in and got to the command prompt. Then I put the MSI Driver CDROM in and entered this command (note: my Windows 7 was installed on drive D and my CDROM was drive E:
The command line that worked for me was this: DISM /image: d:\ /add-driver:e:\ /recurse

All of the drivers installed and I was able to boot into windows and log into my account. I still had to install the entire MSI software and now it's all great. I' so glad I didn't have to reinstall windows from scratch!

Thanks again for taking the time to post and helping people. I really appreciate it.
Terry

ruicunha

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This worked great and solved the problem. Windows now boots normally.
No need to re-install Windows.

tez06

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
how do you use this software,..tried putting on a usb stick and booted from it and said boot manager is missing

sivko

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Well this might be a dead topic by now but just to weigh in my 5 cents. I just recently encountered this problem when i changed a MBO on a thunderstruck PC with win 7 ultimate. Thought i used MBO with identical chipset but i was wrong. UBCD didn't work for me, got BSOD every time i tried to boot from it. CD an USB versions. I generaly used Hirens boot cd and managed to find a version with fix_hdc tool on it. I won't put any links here, just ask google for HBCD version 15.2, d/l it, unpack and use burncdcc tool to create hirens boot cd. It comes in package with HBCD. Load mini xp from cd and go to registry tools, there u will find fix_hdc.cmd file, run it, select (T) from a menu and set root target (most cases c:\windows), after that select (M) to load mass storage drivers and you are golden. It takes less then 2 minutes once you created boot cd. Altogether with fast internet conn maybe 10 mins. Hope this helps if your UBCD4win fails ya.

snort_

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Starwop I heart you!!! Why is this such a secret?!

The only thing I had to do differently is use a USB flash drive because Command Prompt wasn't mounting my optical drive. And I had to locate the OS volume, which wasn't C:/ but E:/ and the USB drive was F:/

But it worked great! It went through all the folders on the USB flash drive, that I copied the MoBo CD on, and found all the correct drivers. DISM is an amazing command that I wish I knew about years ago!

So here's the command I had to use: Dism /Image:E:\ /Add-Driver /Driver:F:\ /Recurse

THANKS Starwop!!!!

Resource: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744355(v=ws.10).aspx

BTW, this topic is alive and well ;)

mashine

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014

Hi! I used this and it worked. All I had to do is downloading Intel Rapid Storage drivers from my MOBO manufacturer site (MSI) and run setup just to unpack drivers instead of installing (SetupRST.exe /A -p <path>), then I copied folder to thumb drive and run DISM command on this folder only. Worth noticing I didn't needed Windows CD to do it, just F8 during startup and open Command Prompt through Repair mode. At first time cmd didn't seen my thumb, but after restart it was available on K letter.

Thank you! You saved my life :)