GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 not "activating" PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
My Mother board (GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) while connected to my PSU (Antec BP550w) will not turn on. Even the PSU does not start.
I have made sure that the 20+4 pin and 8 pin connector are seated properly and even exchanged PSU and motherboard, but the problem still exists. After assembling the computer out side the case on the motherboard box, and shorting the power pin headers, the PSU fan and computer do nothing. I have tested the power supply and it works. Do multiple 12v rails on the PSU have anything to do with it. Should I get a different PSU? (CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650w)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

Solution
Either you're shorting the header wrong, the PSU's not getting its power right (plug problem), the PSU's bad or the mobo's bad. It's hard to tell which, but double-check your connections. Multiple rails are not the problem.
Either you're shorting the header wrong, the PSU's not getting its power right (plug problem), the PSU's bad or the mobo's bad. It's hard to tell which, but double-check your connections. Multiple rails are not the problem.

Solution

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
A different kind of PSU? Because I have so far tested 2 motherboards with 2 power supplies. (I ended up exchanging both after discovering this problem, first the PSU then the Motherboard) Thank you for helping me figure this out.

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Not quite. I thought the PSU was bad, so I brought it back to microcenter and got a new one (the same PSU). I connected it to the mobo and it still would not work. However, I know the PSU is working. I then thought the mobo must be the problem, so I brought it back and got a new one (same mobo). And I am experiencing the same problem as before. I don't now if the motherboard is broken "again" or the PSU just is not compatible with the motherboard.

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I had someone test the PSU at microcenter, and I tested it my self using a paperclip on the green and black wire. I guess it is possible that even if the fan is spinning it may not be providing the correct voltages to the motherboard?

askschwa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Ok I am going back to microcenter tomorrow and I am going to see if I can try out a different PSU (the Corsair one). If it works I will get that one. And let you know what happens. Thanks so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.