Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help w GC on older system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2010 9:14:59 PM

I have a Optiplex GX745, Win XP Pro, 4 GB's and Core2 Duo processor. It always had a low end power source (*305w). Now that it is going out of warranty I am going to install a 600w PS. The second thing I am going to replace is the video card. It has an ATI 1300Pro... UGH! I don't want to go to high end price wise on an older system. So what would you recommend that is a DDR3/DDR4 at around $70.-$125.? I do 3D rendering and graphics. ThanX
Ariana

More about : older system

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 12:24:18 AM

In order of performance:

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
ATI RADEON HD 5750
ATI RADEON HD 5670
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

I would suggest GTS 450. It has CUDA and PhysX, but it is your decision.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 1:14:51 AM

ATI X1300 Pro? it's a PCIE card, right?
I assume your board only has 1.1 pcie slot, so as long as the card is 2.0 ver then you'll be fine.
What is your CPU exactly? stock speed? no OC?
You can get GT240 or HD5670.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 1:33:31 AM

the good nes is yes you can use a modern graphics card due to having a pci express slot... the bad news is you will need a low profile card

this is your computer right

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

if so then yes you will need a low profile card. in your price range i'd suggest a low profile gts 250 by nvidia .. its probably the fastest low profile card in your price range at $115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it you want ati and are willing to go 150 this would be a nice option

... your options kinda such though sorry there just aren't a lot of powerful options for low profile cases, every card mentioned thus far with the exception of the gts240 is not available in low profile

side note... there is a 5670 in low profile by msi however due to the large heat sink it would not fit in your case
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 1:37:47 AM

Well, if this is true your case only accept low profile card then you can get HD5570 without changing your current PSU (305W is more than enough). HD5570 is still faster than X1300 Pro. :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 1:49:25 AM

5570 would work but its not very powerful... more powerful than in the current system by alot and you're right about the psu being adequate there's only like 5 low profile 5570 i'd probably go with this option at 80 bucks

but note the 250 linked above or the 5670 would be more powerful... but you would need that new psu ... so if cash is tight the 5570 would make the most sense
Score
December 1, 2010 10:02:46 PM

I found you!!! :bounce: 

First Thank you to everyone that had responded before! I came in to answer that post and the site dropped, along with my post....

OK, part of the info I neglected to add prior. I have a Mini Tower, Not a Slim Line Case on my Optiplex GX745.

One issue that I was trying to answer was in response to weither I would need to use a Low Profile Card. So i am adding all of my info to help to get the right answer. I wish that other post had not disappeared, I am new on this site and I think I must have hit something inadvertently and erased it! But from what I saw it seemed that all of you were very nice!

Here are my puter specs...
Optiplex GX745
Win XP Pro vers 2002
Service Pak 3
core2 duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram
305w power (*soon to be replaced with 600w)
ATI Radeon1300Pro Graphics Card (*looking to replace it with a DDr3/4, 1GB, Asus/ATI/Nvidia)

The system is 4 years old. But up until now it has been fairly decent at rendering large images in a fairly short amount of time, plus has not seemed to have had it's system resources over taxed. I own several 3D programs and as of recently I have had issues with new software, and their being able to use Open GL functions. Vue7 Pro, and Curvy. Plus I have always wanted to get a better power source, but could not due to the dell warrenty. The warrenty expires in Jan 2011. So I decided to start investigating adding a little bit more to this system. I have to keep a 32bit XP system because of some of my older software. Plus I can surf while I render on the other system. But the other system has to wait til Tax time to buy.

I hope this clarified my questions better.

Ariana
Score
December 1, 2010 10:09:00 PM

g00fysmiley said:
the good nes is yes you can use a modern graphics card due to having a pci express slot... the bad news is you will need a low profile card

this is your computer right

if so then yes you will need a low profile card. in your price range i'd suggest a low profile gts 250 by nvidia .. its probably the fastest low profile card in your price range at $115

it you want ati and are willing to go 150 this would be a nice option

... your options kinda such though sorry there just aren't a lot of powerful options for low profile cases, every card mentioned thus far with the exception of the gts240 is not available in low profile

side note... there is a 5670 in low profile by msi however due to the large heat sink it would not fit in your case

First Thank You... :hello: 
I do not have a slim line case like the one pictured in you link> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Does this now make a difference in a low Profile vs Better Profile GC?

I'll wait on the answer to ask on other listed items.
Ariana
Score
December 1, 2010 10:11:26 PM

tigrc said:
In order of performance:

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
ATI RADEON HD 5750
ATI RADEON HD 5670
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

I would suggest GTS 450. It has CUDA and PhysX, but it is your decision.

Hello! :hello: 

I have been viewing over at YouTube, about cuda and CS5 Ext that I just upgraded to! So as soon as we determine if I have to go with a Low Profile GC, as mentioned here, I will start looking at this.

Thank You! ;) 
Ariana
Score
December 1, 2010 10:21:36 PM

wa1 said:
ATI X1300 Pro? it's a PCIE card, right?
I assume your board only has 1.1 pcie slot, so as long as the card is 2.0 ver then you'll be fine.
What is your CPU exactly? stock speed? no OC?
You can get GT240 or HD5670.

Hello and ThanX!!! :hello: 

Here are my specs (*I am not really techy so I hope this is what you wanted...) :p 

Optiplex GX745
Win XP Pro vers 2002
Service Pak 3
core2 duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram
305w power (*soon to be replaced with 600w)
ATI Radeon1300Pro Graphics Card (*Yes it is a PCI Express Card)(*looking to replace it with a DDr3/4, 1GB, Asus/ATI/Nvidia)

*I assume your board only has 1.1 pcie slot, so as long as the card is 2.0 ver then you'll be fine.* Is this refering to the length of the pin array? It is a larger array, not the narrow one. I have 3 slots inside for my PCI connections, but on the back, but it appears that only two are visable. I hope this helps some.

I do not know what this means... sorry :??:  stock speed? no OC? ?

Ariana :ange: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 11:36:24 PM

excellent, the mini tower is the only one of the 4 configurations in the optiplex GX745 lineup that uses standard psu and graphics card, that opened up your world alot!

on the PSU front i suggest a good brand psu as this will effect your system more than most people will ever admit... also some 600 watt psu's the bad ones (read usually cheaper ones) are just very bad and often rebranded 2-300 watt psu's... here's an example

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

4 star newegg review with over 480 sold.. and its a rebranded 200 watt psu that the breaker kicks at a little over 200 watts and sold as a "580 watt" but peopel who get it never use the full claiemd wattagel hence the rating

that said. at 120 i'd say go with a gts 450 or a 5750 both can be found around your price point and are more than enough power for your needs

here's the card i use its $130 and awsome

there are cheaper vertions like thie one at $115, this oen has a lifetime warrenty

those are the 450's 'd suggest as for the 5750 probably

it has a very good cooler and good clock speeds at 120, 110 after rebate

if you have the extra 10 bucks to spend I'd suggest the asus i got it'll last you for years, but either of the other 2 would be fine
Score
December 2, 2010 12:05:06 AM

This one does look good!

Item#: N82E16814121393

Sorry the link did not want to copy for me... here you go.

Honestly I am still confused about the power supply. Could you say exactly which you were recommending? I am not all that techy (*if you hadn't noticed :sarcastic:  ) I am so out of my element here. But as I read around the site I am feeling a little bit better. Seems most are nice like yourself :love:  ;) 

So really since I planned to have MoonDog (*local Reno computer place) install the power supply, you are saying they might stick me with a cruddy PS? Cause they mentioned a cost of $89.00.... :??:  And of course I do not have a part number from them to give you.

As I get info, I just have concerns that I might not pick correctly, and create issues with this system before I get the new one. Life without a puter or rendering! :o  Unthinkable!

Ariana
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 12:18:10 AM

Err... COuld you please repair your link?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 1:07:23 AM

i think the link was to the ASUS TOP CU i was suggesting, the numbers match

at 89.00 I'd imagine it'd be a decent 600 watt psu, but you never know, if you trust em I'd say you're probably good, most shops won't intentionally rip their customers off thats a bad way to get them to come back, i know i wouldn't do that to my customers. really the 450 can run on a low wattage psu it only uses 1 6 pin connector.

i was just warning that some psu manufacturers will just put a label on their sub par power supply like the link i showed where a company slapped a 580 watt sticker on a 200 watt psu.

it might be helpful to call the shop and ask what model and brand the psu is that they are putting in.

as for us as a community most people here are pretty nice and helpful when we're not squabbling on geeky stuff liek amd vs intel or ati (now also amd)vs nvidia then we just get our nerd rage out on each other :D 
Score
December 2, 2010 1:12:44 AM

wa1 said:
Err... COuld you please repair your link?

I fixed it, and got beat by G00fySmiley :D 
Score
December 2, 2010 1:17:14 AM

g00fysmiley said:
i think the link was to the ASUS TOP CU i was suggesting, the numbers match

at 89.00 I'd imagine it'd be a decent 600 watt psu, but you never know, if you trust em I'd say you're probably good, most shops won't intentionally rip their customers off thats a bad way to get them to come back, i know i wouldn't do that to my customers. really the 450 can run on a low wattage psu it only uses 1 6 pin connector.

i was just warning that some psu manufacturers will just put a label on their sub par power supply like the link i showed where a company slapped a 580 watt sticker on a 200 watt psu.

it might be helpful to call the shop and ask what model and brand the psu is that they are putting in.

as for us as a community most people here are pretty nice and helpful when we're not squabbling on geeky stuff liek amd vs intel or ati (now also amd)vs nvidia then we just get our nerd rage out on each other :D 

Yes I will get that in the morning, it is 7:15pm here, and they close at 6pm. I understand what you are saying, and it had not occured to me at all. But if you don't mind helping I will get the right parts and have a fairly revamped older system! :na: 

The help from all of you is totally respected and appreciated! :) 

Ariana
Score
December 2, 2010 7:17:26 PM

Hi Everyone!
I found the correct power source for my computer!

Now if you look at this, can you help me know what card can work best with it! :D 

I went through 9 calls to Dell, several techs and finally found one that knew how to navigate their own site! LOL! He found this and said it would cost me $99.99, and was B/O for 6 weeks! I found the same at new egg $30.00 cheaper and in stock. I feel very impowered. And would not have felt nearly so without all of you... :) 

So now the next thing is to find my Graphics card, and I'll be set to go. :kaola: 

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 7:35:05 PM

pc power and cooling is a good brand, they are not the best but they are also not far from it and good value. the psu in question would be a good fit for your system. if you can affor this and the asus it should be fine for your needs
Score
December 2, 2010 7:44:45 PM

Well the issue is weither it will fit and work with all of the stupid Dell proprietary build. I do know this is Dell compatable. And my tech installer did say he wanted to be sure it was compatable (*I got a good tech guy now! ;)  ). I think I might do the ATI HD5750 1GB or the Nvidia GTS250 1GB card. Would you have a preference on those?
I'll be in and out... I got my CS5Ext yesterday so I am going through instructional videos on youtube!

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 8:02:26 PM

the hd550 or gts 250 is a small step down from the gts 450 but both are ok cards.

the 5750 is a newer design and mroe efficient so I'd probably go 5750 of those two

xfx is probably the best ati brand atm with lifetime warrentiesz and solid cards. I'd probably suggest

but at $135 its more expensive than the asus i linked which is better than the xfx

now a cheaper option as a 5750 woudl be at $120 ($110 after rebate) but again after rebate only saves 20 bucks, and the regular 450's are the same price

as for 250's the cheapest 1 gig cards are so close to the price of 450's its really not worth it but if willing to step down on ram there are reasonable priced 250 cards btu rememebr you are halfing the memory size and its much slower momory gddr3 vs gddr 5 for $99.95 ($79.95 after rebate) its a good savings in price at 76% of the price, and 62% of the price after rebate btu you take a performanc hit, however it would certainly work for your purposes as well

*add* note the gts 250 linked has a lifetime warrenty as well which is a very good thing
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 2:17:04 AM

Hmm, I saw a comment on newegg of one guy, who does machinimas and he didn't like the GT 430. Are you doing anything like machinimas? Will you play demanding games? If so, Gt 430 is not the choice for you. For everything else, this is a very decent card.
What is your remaining budget?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 10:58:42 AM

the 430 is mroe of a card where you get to say you have a graphics card.. but that about it. they do of at video playback and minor gaming/ rendering btu they just don't have much muscle... if this were a discussion on dogs the on board graphics card would be a teacup poodle, and the 430 woudl be a pomeranion... yea its about twice as big but its still a 5 lb dog and not of much use (i have a pomeranian, so no hate to the breed.. :D  cute dog but beyond trying to move pillow larger than herself and failing she's pretty much useless)

the 450 would be more like a bigger jack russel small but powerful and energetic.
Score
December 3, 2010 12:03:03 PM

tigrc said:
Hmm, I saw a comment on newegg of one guy, who does machinimas and he didn't like the GT 430. Are you doing anything like machinimas? Will you play demanding games? If so, Gt 430 is not the choice for you. For everything else, this is a very decent card.
What is your remaining budget?

No, I will not be gaming on any level. I do 3D graphics, to create art for customers, and I also sell at sci-fi/fantasy conventions.

Two reasons I need to update this machine is that I run lots of programs that now require better graphics support. I found this when I bought Vue7 Pro, it just will not do even half of what I needed. No animations, or large sized renders. Poster size is 7,000 X 4,600 at 300 DPI. One reason I use high dpi is to get details that do not pop otherwise. I often wonder if my GC has been the cause of this. Plus I just upgraded to CS5 Extended, and it has a lot of requirements to do what I want in it. Anyway, in order to get a better GC, I need a better power source. 305w, just did not support anything good. But I am not techy at all. So I could be wrong. That's why I came here for advice.

As soon as I find out how much money is available come May 2011, I can get a brand new system. But until then, since the warrenty on the Dell is going to expire, I decided now I can update the things I did not like on this system. I did not know squat when I bought it 4 years back. I am learning really fast now and have a much better idea of what I would want in my next system.

As for the GC now, I don't think I need one that is too pricey as this system runs Win XP Pro, and I understand now that Direct X does not work really well on it?! There has been some question about DDR and if a DDR2-3 might not be way sufficeint for the system and the power supply. I had an eye opener yesterday when I saw my first $999.99 Graphics Card.... :ouch:  Wow that is a dedicated Gamer! I know that I do want one that has at least 1GB of memory. Also that is be a card with a good reliable fan. Runs cool because I am (*just like a gamer) running up to 18 hours a day, depending on how inspired I get. And supports Open GL & CUDA.

Graphics Card budget... So I was thinking $125.00 ballpark. Probably a little less.

I really do appreciate everyone's help here. I am not techy at all. And a lot of the things that we have talked about, I never even was aware of. I wouldn't even know to ask. I most likely sound totally dim witted, but I take every word to heart. So thank you all.... :) 

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
December 3, 2010 12:36:29 PM

g00fysmiley said:
the 430 is mroe of a card where you get to say you have a graphics card.. but that about it. they do of at video playback and minor gaming/ rendering btu they just don't have much muscle... if this were a discussion on dogs the on board graphics card would be a teacup poodle, and the 430 woudl be a pomeranion... yea its about twice as big but its still a 5 lb dog and not of much use (i have a pomeranian, so no hate to the breed.. :D  cute dog but beyond trying to move pillow larger than herself and failing she's pretty much useless)

the 450 would be more like a bigger jack russel small but powerful and energetic.

LOL!!! I love your analogies! Yes I guess I would like a dog with a bit more "bite"! I am worried about if it fits. I tried to search the ATI Radeon 1300Pro, to look at the pin array on the PCIE type that fits in my puter, and could not find a pic! Does anyone know how to find one? I knew the cards were old... but dang!

Talk soon!!!
HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 12:44:36 PM

Get the GTS 450, it will fit, assuming your case version is wider than the slim one. Now we need to find out if you have can a a dual slot card or not. Could you open your case and take a photo of it so we can see the motherboard from top and side and post it here?
Score
December 3, 2010 12:51:45 PM

tigrc said:
Get the GTS 450, it will fit, assuming your case version is wider than the slim one. Now we need to find out if you have can a a dual slot card or not. Could you open your case and take a photo of it so we can see the motherboard from top and side and post it here?

At the back where the PCIE slots are there are 3.One is filled currently with the old card.

I have to run (*today is payday and i am out til about 12noon), but I will be back later. I hope that you are still around!

Thank you.... :love: 

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 1:01:19 PM

I forgot to mention: Windows XP uses DirectX 9.0c. It can't use any higher DirectX than that (DX11 is the latest) but DX9 will be good for your needs.

This is the best GTS 450(Comparing performance and heat):

Let me know if it's out of your budget or will you be able to squeeze out that extra 15 dollars.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2010 1:10:00 PM

yea, its the mini tower, it'll fit most cards, but its short so no 3 bay cards af the fan would be almost on the bottom of the case >_< but a dual bay would work.

as you now mention cuda that throw ati cards out the window as the don't support cuda

also your pci-e is a pci-expressx16 1.1 , however all pci-e 2.0 and 2.1 will be backwards compatable for ya so you can really get any pci express card

125 won't get you an overclocked 450, but it will still get you a good 450

120 with free shipping and $20 rebate so 99.95 after the rebate
Score
December 3, 2010 10:16:45 PM

OK, I bought the power source, but the tech is going to have to see if the GTS Card fits into the puter. Apparently it is a shorter case then many 17" front to back.
*sigh but I feel I am getting closer! I was looking at cases for when I build my new one later!!!

I need more money!!!

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 12:09:20 AM

i have a mini case and the card fit (the card being the asus one , it came in today its running games at max setting at least the 3 i've tried so far, WoW, mass effect, and borderlands)

mine is 17 inches front to back but i just measured and i have 3 inchse to spare from the card to the drive bays, plus the power port is on the side of the card not the back so if its a tight squeeze you won't have an issue hooking up the power

Score
December 4, 2010 1:29:13 AM

g00fysmiley said:
i have a mini case and the card fit (the card being the asus one , it came in today its running games at max setting at least the 3 i've tried so far, WoW, mass effect, and borderlands)

Mine is 17 inches front to back but i just measured and I have 3 inchse to spare from the card to the drive bays, plus the power port is on the side of the card not the back so if its a tight squeeze you won't have an issue hooking up the power

If you look into mine from the side where the side comes off... the power source is on the top at the back. The GC is under that by a good 5 inches. The hard drives (*I have two HD's, and 2 Opticle drives directly above the HD's), are barely 8-10 inches from the back of the case. So the Tech guy Tim is going to try the card on wens/thurs or when the power source gets here from NE. In my experience NE send stuff fairly quickly.

I am so stressed out!!! :pfff:  I mean I find the right power source, only to get slapped stupid on the GC!!! :non:  If I can't find a great GC to fit this stupid case after all of this work I may just go bonkers :pt1cable:  !

If you or anyone comes up with a shorter WIDER (*sides ways) card let me know. ARRGGHHH! :cry: 

HuggerZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 1:59:39 AM

The length of a GTS 450 is about 8.25 inches (210mm). If this card doesn't fit, then the next best choice is the GT 240, which is about 6.6 inches (168mm). It is cheaper and weaker, but you will be fine with it. By the way, it would be very funny, if you would get this card after all, because it only requires a 300W PSU :D 
Score
December 4, 2010 2:42:40 AM

tigrc said:
The length of a GTS 450 is about 8.25 inches (210mm). If this card doesn't fit, then the next best choice is the GT 240, which is about 6.6 inches (168mm). It is cheaper and weaker, but you will be fine with it. By the way, it would be very funny, if you would get this card after all, because it only requires a 300W PSU :D 

Oh you are just Cruel :heink:  and just plain mean to boot! :(  LOL! If that is the case I will be really mad... but maybe not, does it support CUDA? I bet not! :kaola: 

I had an idea to make it fit... under the fan is some flanges of plastic that serve no real purpose except maybe when they injection molded it! I told Tim if he has to cut those off to get that card in then do it! They are about 3/4" long and just are there. No reason that I can fathom. Nothing attaches to them.

Now you be nice and quit wishing nasty little thoughts at my PS and pray my GC will fit!!! ;) 

HuggerZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 3:49:49 AM

Yes, the GT 240 supports CUDA :)  I really hope it does fit, but in case it won't, you have a very good backup plan :)  And still, it would be funny :D 
Score
December 4, 2010 4:51:17 AM

tigrc said:
Yes, the GT 240 supports CUDA :)  I really hope it does fit, but in case it won't, you have a very good backup plan :)  And still, it would be funny :D 

I guess it would. But a better power supply could never hurt! ;)  After all it might give this system a little extra push for some of my higher end programs! :D 

If you are interested here is a link to my store, just click on my name and a drop down will open with a link to my gallery! http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=Fut... I actually have a product called "The Year of the Tiger 2010"! :p  Let me know if you would like a tiger pic! I can do a nice one for you.... :love: 

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 6:42:20 AM

True, a better power supply will never hurt. It is better to not stress the PSU to it's limits, so it's capacitors would stay in high quality.

YES !!! I would love that pic and I would be honoured to have one made specially for me! :D 
Score
December 4, 2010 12:32:38 PM

tigrc said:
True, a better power supply will never hurt. It is better to not stress the PSU to it's limits, so it's capacitors would stay in high quality.

YES !!! I would love that pic and I would be honoured to have one made specially for me! :D 

Which pic did you see, the Frazetta tribute? Send me a PM about what you would and would not like in it... heck I wouldn't want to offend you! :sarcastic:  If you are refering to the Frazetta pic it has bare breasts... :p  So let me know if partial, or full nudity fits your tastes. :sol: 

:hello: 
HugZ!
Ariana

youtube link/no nudes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIq-L_VceaU

I am just learning videos so this one is an experiment... :whistle: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 2:51:19 PM

I meant the one that you would do for me, not anything specific. You would need to try very hard to offend me, trust me :D  Anything with a tiger will be good, use your imagination :)  P.S. I'm a romantic looking for that one and only, maybe that will help with the pic ;) 
Score
December 4, 2010 7:33:25 PM

tigrc said:
I meant the one that you would do for me, not anything specific. You would need to try very hard to offend me, trust me :D  Anything with a tiger will be good, use your imagination :)  P.S. I'm a romantic looking for that one and only, maybe that will help with the pic ;) 

OK, I can do that!

A new issue has arisen BTW... About over heating, do I need to be concerned?

"Looking at eBay, there are 3 motherboard configurations. You said that that you have a PCIE slot so that narrow's the options down. I can't find a picture of the inside of your (mini ?) mid-tower case. As was mentioned this card will use the PCIE slot and cover your remaining PCI slot. With that in mind you will have to add extra cooling or both the CPU and video cards are going to over heat, giving you worse performance that you are getting now."
*from a post at renderosity.

This person mentions I would need additional cooling? Why has this not come up from any of my other sources? Should I be concerned for this??? If so, do you have any suggestions? I think I have a good tech, but informed is protected as I speak to him. What about if I step back to a 240? Would that eliminate the overheating possibility?

I had absolutely no clue what I was buying when I got the 745 from Dell. It is still a good computer! It's just that I always knew the power source was weak after I had bought it, and I also found out from many people in the 3D community, what a weak and low grade graphics card an ATI Radeon 1300Pro was. 6 years back many people said I would not be able to render worth a damn with a GC of that low quality. And because of the warrenty I was locked in and could not change anything. First I was told by Dell that there was not any other power source at all. Well that is untrue. And then that it could not be added to my warrenty. I just found out yesterday that that also was false. :( 

Believe me I am absorbing this info like a sponge! I will know how to research my next computer correctly. When this cooling issue was mentioned, I wondered why No One has brought this up. Not Nvidia, not my tech, and not anyone at Tom's. So I at least now have some info to ask my tech as well on monday.

Anyone here have an opinion?

Here are some links too:
Dell Optiplex GX745 Mini Tower Specs

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op745/en/...

Outside Front and Rear

Inside
Graphics Cards

Power Supply

Thank you for your help BTW!!! :D 

HugZ!
Ariana

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 8:32:52 PM

really your case has decent ventilation for the cpu, and there is plenty of space in your case under where the video card will sit to allow for airflow. the issue with overheating is often like the dell i linked in the first link, those small low profile cases

your case has much more airflow as well as more space, overheating should not be an issue provided you get a card with a decent gpu cooler

Score
December 4, 2010 10:43:12 PM

g00fysmiley said:
really your case has decent ventilation for the cpu, and there is plenty of space in your case under where the video card will sit to allow for airflow. the issue with overheating is often like the dell i linked in the first link, those small low profile cases

your case has much more airflow as well as more space, overheating should not be an issue provided you get a card with a decent gpu cooler

Well that is a relief! Do you think the 240 or the 450 have the needed GPU Coolers???

Hey! Hi!!!! :D 

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
December 4, 2010 11:15:37 PM

tigrc said:
The best choice for the GT 240:

The best choice for the GTS 450:

You won't have any problems with those cards.

Yes we are going to try the Asus, and I had not seen the other card so Monday I will tell the tech! I am going to be working on your pressie soon too... I have a busy nite. We are going to the "Knitting Factory" to go dancing! I will be on all day tomorrow! You have a great nite too!!!

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2010 11:21:33 PM

Thanks! I didn't sleep for 40 hours now so I would really be happy to sleep for at least 12 hours now :D  No pressure on the pressie, do it only when you have some free time! :)  OK, good night!
Score
December 12, 2010 9:29:50 PM

Hi Again!!!
OK, update about why I was MIA...
Well the power supply would not fit. Wrong screw holes and slots for the supply to slip onto! So much for Dell compatabillity!
Now as for the video card. Well leave it to Dell to insert the PCIE slots UPSIDE DOWN... :/  Good grief! So we were able to find a GeForce 210, that fits and diod resolve my Open GL issue on all of my software(s). It isn't exactly what I hoped for but it is a short term solution until I get the new puter in april/may. I am sort of in "downtime" while I re-install all of my programs. I did wipe my drives and started clean. Just in case. So far I have both photoshops on, all 3 posers, painter11, and also my wacom. Tonight I will finish installing all of my other software. Tigrc! I have not forgotten you!!! Give me another 2 days to get everything in place and I can finish your pic!
HugZ to everyone!!!
Ariana
Score
December 12, 2010 9:41:01 PM

Ariana_FFD said:
I have a Optiplex GX745, Win XP Pro, 4 GB's and Core2 Duo processor. It always had a low end power source (*305w). Now that it is going out of warranty I am going to install a 600w PS. The second thing I am going to replace is the video card. It has an ATI 1300Pro... UGH! I don't want to go to high end price wise on an older system. So what would you recommend that is a DDR3/DDR4 at around $70.-$125.? I do 3D rendering and graphics. ThanX
Ariana

be sure that 600w psu is 80 plus certified and strong amp output for future upgrade. for graphic card part 5770/5830 would be the best choose at that price range. but i would put extra 50 bucks for gtx 460se/gtx 460-768/ 6850/6870.
Score
December 13, 2010 12:00:17 AM

cheesesubs said:
be sure that 600w psu is 80 plus certified and strong amp output for future upgrade. for graphic card part 5770/5830 would be the best choose at that price range. but i would put extra 50 bucks for gtx 460se/gtx 460-768/ 6850/6870.

Actually the power supply doesn't fit and the vid card had to go in upside down! Now that those are installed I am much happier.

HugZ!
Ariana
Score
December 13, 2010 1:22:11 AM

Ariana_FFD said:
Actually the power supply doesn't fit and the vid card had to go in upside down! Now that those are installed I am much happier.

HugZ!
Ariana

i think you may as well change the case if it does not fit both psu and gfx.

mid tower case

this case should solve the size issue. $49.99

530 w psu

even though it's 530w but it has very powerful 12v output and 80 plus bronze certified for just $79.99

$184 but it is nearly twice as powerful of 5770 and definitely worth to buy. gtx 460 is also good but you'd have to get even powerful power supply. since you have simple core 2 system without any extra setup which that's why i recommend you the 6850 with 530w or else i would recommend larger psu as well.

hope you like it.

Score
December 13, 2010 1:42:04 AM

cheesesubs said:
i think you may as well change the case if it does not fit both psu and gfx.

mid tower case

this case should solve the size issue. $49.99

530 w psu

even though it's 530w but it has very powerful 12v output and 80 plus bronze certified for just $79.99

$184 but it is nearly twice as powerful of 5770 and definitely worth to buy. gtx 460 is also good but you'd have to get even powerful power supply. since you have simple core 2 system without any extra setup which that's why i recommend you the 6850 with 530w or else i would recommend larger psu as well.

hope you like it.

I guess you did not read this through... it is now a done deal. I have a better vid card and the same power supply. but they work together and I am happy now!
ThanX...
Ariana
Score
!