Help! Slow Internet Connection

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I need help!!!

Something in Windows 7 is causing web pages to load REALLY slowly and I can't figure out what it is. I've ruled out any hardware issues because I was able to use Asus Express Gate (the until now useless function that provides access the web/music/etc without booting into the OS). Also no other devices like the ps3 have any internet /web connectivity problems. The issue is present when using either the LAN port or a wireless adapter (never had the wireless adapter installed on this pc until now while trying to troubleshoot).

I thought it might be Norton 360 so I uninstalled it, didn't help.

It takes about 9 seconds to load www.google.com and about 30 seconds to open www.tomshardware.com. When running speed test it takes about 30 secs to open speedtest.net and another 30 seconds or so to find a server to run the test off. Once the test starts I get great performance 8 ms ping, 38 Mbps download, and 2.9 Mbps upload....it just takes forever to get going. While waiting for web pages to load I've noticed chrome states "sending request" for a while while the thing in the tab spins forever. In IE9 the thing in the tab just spins until a webpage finally loads.

The problem just started after getting a new CISCO DPC3825 modem from the cable company that up'd the speed to 50 Mbps. I have no problems on a much older Vista system.

Any ideas?

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
A system restore to a couple days ago didn't help but I'll try a little further back. A ping test from the command prompt with ping speedtest.net gave a 47 ms maximum ping.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
how far are you from a ping server,i am at a 150 miles and get a 12 ms result,been looking at router setting check for mac wireless address filtering and the log file if it is not well set somebody around you could connect and use the wireless bandwith

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Okay system restore as far back as I could go Nov 16th with no luck same issue.

An oops, I ping tested speedtest.net and didn't use the link on speedtest. When using the link on speedtest which brings up pingtest.net (takes forever to open, a good minutes or so to find the best server I get:

Trial 1: Packet Loss Test Error couldn't connect to test server. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later.
Trial 2: Again minute later to find best server...same issue
Trial 3: Tried a random ping server....same issue

Sounds like we're onto something as no firewall was on. Norton 360 didn't come back with the system restore..

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Ran the Norton Removal Tool a few times and rebooted a few extra times. Still can't run a ping test on pingtest.net without the packet loss test error but can run speed test. Revo Uninstall didn't show any sign of Norton existing. Updated NIC drivers so they are up to date but it shouldn't be an issue anyway as when using a wireless USB connector without any LAN connection I have the same problem.

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Well I'm done, new router is being returned tomorrow, there were no problems till I got it. I'll go back the slower 15 Mbps that atleast opens a web page well.

I just restored a year old backup with a known good install of Windows 7 to a separate partition and it has the same issues. I'm sick of fix, reboot, retry...freakn 5 hours later.

There's gotta be some sort of conflict with one of my Windows 7 drivers on this system and the router although this makes no sense to me. My old vista system with an AMD 4800 had the pingtest.net work and works fine via wireless as does the PS3 which works with a LAN connection and wireless connection. How a year old i7 system can't work well with this new router is beyond me (with neither a wireless USB or LAN connection).

Thanks for everyone's help.

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Just figured it all out and it is all thanks to the recommendation to run pingtest.net where I was flagged with a firewall blocking problem.

Turned of the SPI Firewall Protection within the router/modem and my problems disappeared. Internet is snappy now...it always was fast but took forever before data flowed through. Pingtest.net works...everything is perfect...except getting the system back to normal but that will wait till tomorrow. Only took an extra hour...

I have no idea what turning this off does but don't care at this point as web pages open quickly.

Thanks All

EhDude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Just solved the problem.

Using an elevated command prompt ran the following command and found that ECN Capability was enabled.

netsh int tcp show global

I suspect an ECN compatibility with the Windows 7 TCP/IP protocol and the router. Turning of the TCP/IP ECN Capability solved the problem when set to either default or disabled. This is done with the command.

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=default

or

netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled

I just stuck with default for now.

For anyone else that hits slow internet problems it may also be an issue with TCP/IP autotuning..not so in my case but see the link below for more information.
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

Router now works with SPI Firewall. Dang this took some time to figure out.