Sign in with
Your question

Problem upgrading to 8gb RAM in Windows 7 (Updated)

Last response: in Memory
January 2, 2012 1:22:52 AM

I just bought 2 new sticks of RAM. Exact same G. Skill I've been using, except it's 2x4gb, the old is 2x2. As soon as Windows 7 starts to display the Windows logo, the screen goes blank and the machine hangs. It will boot using each 4gb stick individually or with the original 2 sticks and all the slots have been tested. Couldn't find much while searching, except that perhaps this could be a Win 7 issue? I don't have the installation disk (didn't come with the PC) so I created a system repair disk, but the PC won't boot from it (made CD the first boot device). Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H 16gb RAM Capacity
AMD Phenom II 555 BE - Unlocked 4 cores
2x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw RAM DDR3-1600
Enermax Infiniti 720w PSU
January 2, 2012 1:42:05 AM

update your bios, install all sticks of ram and get into bios immediately. See if your ram has been dectected in the bios, you can also try increasing the ram voltage slightly.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2012 1:46:53 AM

In the bios splash screen can all the ram be counted? If while posting you press the tab key you can see the long version of the bios screen and you should see the ram if it all was counted.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2012 3:40:21 AM

Problem Solved, BIOS update took care of the problem...
m
l
January 2, 2012 2:11:14 PM

Not really solved after all. Did a BIOS update and everything seemed to work, but the flash process loaded the default settings, so it turned off EC Hybrid and was only running on 2 cores. So it looks like the 8gb RAM and the unlocked cores caused the issue. I added one of the old 2gb sticks to the 4gb and Windows loads. So at 6gb total I'm ok, but at 8gb it won't load Windows. I usually don't play with any settings, just leave everything on auto. Is there something I can tweak to get this to boot with 8gb RAM?
m
l
January 11, 2012 1:30:53 PM

Well, I'm still messing around with this and still having no luck. One thing I don't understand is why it won't boot when the ACC is enabled but I disable the 2 extra cores. What is the ACC doing if the extra cores are disabled? Does anything need a voltage tweak? Thanks...
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
November 28, 2012 11:47:43 AM

nmmnp1 said:
Well, I'm still messing around with this and still having no luck. One thing I don't understand is why it won't boot when the ACC is enabled but I disable the 2 extra cores. What is the ACC doing if the extra cores are disabled? Does anything need a voltage tweak? Thanks...

hey have you found a solution to this, i seem to be having the same problem?
m
l
!