Is dell computer is litle or big endian

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
If it's a standard PC, laptop or netbook based on a mainstream processor (such as an Intel Pentium, Core or Atom or an AMD Athlon or Phenom family CPU) then it's little-endian. If you're running Windows on it, it's probably little-endian. If you're not running Windows, you probably already know exactly what processor you've got and its endianness! ;)

If I remember correctly, the old Motorola 68000 family of processors, used in the early Apple Macs along with the Amiga and Atari home computers were big-endian.

Other types of processor such as ARM (very common in smartphones and tablets), IBM POWER, Sun SPARC and Intel Itanium (mainly seen in high-end servers) can operate in either endianness - they are said to be bi-endian.

Stephen

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Its all good, brudda! No one will make fun of you or anything like that. Never happens on Tom's.....snicker.....

COLGeek

Cybernaut

...thus the early post to direct the OP to a site to actually answer the question. The rest of the thread was just geeks poking fun at geeks. HOOAH!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

My guess is that the OP has or uses a Dell. Just a guess.....

COLGeek

Cybernaut

True. I haven't heard a related question in a few years. Then it was a development issue trying to make two very different systems more interoperable. Still good to shake the dust off of those neurons from time to time.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I could also see how a professor might ask this question of students and what standard is being used in the development environment of the class.