Sign in with
Your question

Is my GPU Overheating?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2010 10:54:08 PM

I have a ATI SAPPHIRE HD 3870 video card and it has been well for the past year. The problem now is that when I play games like MW2 the monitor turns off and stays off until you turn off the computer and turn it on again.
I know that when I play MW2 my temps go up to 100 C . I have seen my GPU at 100 C many times before but it never turned the monitor off.
So should I clean it with a computer duster?
Tips?

More about : gpu overheating

a c 130 U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 11:32:34 PM

Yeah..just because a card can hit a certain temperature doesn' mean you should. Take the card out of the slot, and dust it pretty good. Don't spray it either.

Might also want to consider an upgrade.
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 11:42:11 PM

pull the card out, clean the dust with compressed air. disconnect the fan when doing this because if you make the fan spin, it can generate electricity back into the card and damage it. And of course, take anti-static precautions. You should also check that the fan is actually working. After this, if it still overheats, yo may need to re-seat the heatsink with new thermal paste.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 12:01:10 AM

Chances are that you got the sapphire version that has the crappy single slot cooler as they were very popular however there are dual slot versions as well. So blast out the dust that is in the cooler before you kill your card. 100c is hot enough to boil water. I got a 3870 my self and they aren't very hot running cards.
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 12:15:21 AM

Like as has previously been said the slots of your heatsink by the fan have become clogged with dust. I wouldn’t worry about the fan turning as you blow the dust out. In bad cases I have used a piece of wire to push into the heatsink slots to clear them out..
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 12:18:07 AM

I wouldn't worry much about the fan, it wouldn't generate enough power to do any harm. I have been doing this for years and haven't lost not one card to power generated by a fan. It would take a lot of current or a emp to kill a card.
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 5:52:06 AM

Ive seen cards and motherboards die after people clean them out. While it cant be certain that the fan spinning killed them, I certaily think it is possible.
December 1, 2010 6:13:32 AM

I wouldn't say that those temps are what you should be getting. Generally with that series of cards people never go beyond 80c even with overclocks. Of course the cooler matters but those temperatures are too high and are most likely causing your display problems. As far as using compressed air, you can give it a shot but make sure to keep your distance from the components, you don't want to be hitting your parts with that much pressure or you could end up with a nonfunctional card. My advice would be to reapply thermal paste instead and report back with temperatures.
December 2, 2010 6:05:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies. All of you approved what I though it would be, dust. I have not cleaned it for over a year, so i guess i will have to go out and buy a compressed air can and clean it out. I will keep distance with the card thx (:
December 4, 2010 5:53:14 PM

Goodluck. Be sure to report back with results, we'd love to know how it all went.
December 7, 2010 11:58:17 PM

Ok the problem is my hard drive or power supply. Anywhere betweem 30 seconds to 30 mins the hard drive makes the same noice as at start up and hangs up the OS. After about 1 minute it is back to normal.
Now i am trying to figure out if formating the HDD will help or is it a hardware problem
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:53:27 AM

crazy359 said:
Ok the problem is my hard drive or power supply. Anywhere betweem 30 seconds to 30 mins the hard drive makes the same noice as at start up and hangs up the OS. After about 1 minute it is back to normal.
Now i am trying to figure out if formating the HDD will help or is it a hardware problem

Get HD Tune and check the health of the drive. If you see yellow or worse values that are high lighted in red then replace the drive immediately before it fails.
!