Sign in with
Your question

Psu makes a sound when video card under use

Last response: in Components
April 27, 2011 6:23:36 PM

While everything functions normally I was able to finally know where the sound was coming from, hard to tell with all the fans running. But when the video card is under use, say at least 30% I can hear a sound, and it is not high pitched, its almost like a fan rubbing against a wire, the voltage on the 12 volt rail does not go any lower then 12.04v, but its multiple rails, all at 20 amps. Even though the video card calls for minimum of 30 amps, I am not sure if they mean total from the two 6 pin connectors. Should I be worried about this? If it does turn out I need to replace it, what would be a good replacement, I cannot RMA as the company went out of business. Maybe Coolermaster, or Corsair?

Windows 7 64 bit

Asus p7F7 Supercomputer with Xeon X3450 2.66 Ghz (bios revision 602)
8 GB of Kingston 1333 ECC
EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

138 GB WD Hard drive (OS, partitioned to 7 and XP)
650 GB Hitachi (Data)
Some Sony DVD/CD burner

BFG 800 Watt PSU (850 peak I think)
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2011 7:15:40 PM

The video card doesn't call for 30 amps, 30 amps is the reccomended 12v ouput for the entire system with the card.
Corsair over CM, and 550w would be more than sufficient for a single card system.
m
l
a c 1197 ) Power supply
a c 561 U Graphics card
April 27, 2011 7:25:51 PM

A single reference clocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti has a Graphics Card Power of 170 Watts. This means that a single graphics card will draw up to 14.2 Amps from the +12 Volt rails.

EVGA's recommendation of a 500 Watt power supply with a +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps is for the contents of the computer chassis (i.e. case) which includes the motherboard, RAM, graphics card(s), hard disk drive(s), optical drive(s), expansion cards, cooling fans, etc.

You don't want to be running the power supply near or at its labelled maximum.
m
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 8:36:42 AM

ko888 said:
A single reference clocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti has a Graphics Card Power of 170 Watts. This means that a single graphics card will draw up to 14.2 Amps from the +12 Volt rails.

EVGA's recommendation of a 500 Watt power supply with a +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps is for the contents of the computer chassis (i.e. case) which includes the motherboard, RAM, graphics card(s), hard disk drive(s), optical drive(s), expansion cards, cooling fans, etc.

You don't want to be running the power supply near or at its labelled maximum.

Ah, I see a lot of people running their machines with 1000 watt PSUs with only single card, well, one particular person I know, but he is known for overkill.

I did read up that some PSU's have coil noise, annoying but not lethal, I just dun want the PSU to take out everything in the process of blowing. Would at some point like to get a PSU that is quieter.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 8:54:15 AM

Your PSU is more than sufficient for your system, however if you can here a noise, that sounds like a fan coming into contact with something else, then thats what it probably is, so first make sure its not your case fans, then cpu fan, and then your GPU fan, as you say you can here it when the gpu is under load so it maybe your gpu fan, ive had gpus before that have had this problem because the gpu fan wire has not been properly secured, ive had to take off the gpu cover and re-secure the fan, in one extreme case on a saphire card i had, it actually cut through its own fan cable. If it turns out not to be the gpu fan and is the psu fan, then unplug from the wall, remove psu from system, let stand for about 30 mins to be sure all capacitors have discharged, then start to have a good look, a foriegn object may have been sucked into the psu fan, which you may be able to see and remove without taking the cover off, if you cant find anything, then remove the psu cover for a thorough inspection. Which is usualy a straight forward task, and you wont be voiding any warranty as you dont have one any more because BFG went bust.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 12:23:12 PM

Getting a 700-1100w psu to run a single 560 is overkill, as power supplies are known to degrade more when their not capable of using their expected output.

The one you have now should be fine, but taking the PSU out and checking/cleaning would be my suggestion as well.
m
l
April 28, 2011 5:01:57 PM

Uther39 said:
Your PSU is more than sufficient for your system, however if you can here a noise, that sounds like a fan coming into contact with something else, then thats what it probably is, so first make sure its not your case fans, then cpu fan, and then your GPU fan, as you say you can here it when the gpu is under load so it maybe your gpu fan, ive had gpus before that have had this problem because the gpu fan wire has not been properly secured, ive had to take off the gpu cover and re-secure the fan, in one extreme case on a saphire card i had, it actually cut through its own fan cable. If it turns out not to be the gpu fan and is the psu fan, then unplug from the wall, remove psu from system, let stand for about 30 mins to be sure all capacitors have discharged, then start to have a good look, a foriegn object may have been sucked into the psu fan, which you may be able to see and remove without taking the cover off, if you cant find anything, then remove the psu cover for a thorough inspection. Which is usualy a straight forward task, and you wont be voiding any warranty as you dont have one any more because BFG went bust.

Thing is, this sound is only audible when using an application that uses the card's 3d capabilities, aka draws current from the two 6 pin connectors, so it may actually be an electrical sound.
m
l
a c 1197 ) Power supply
a c 561 U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 6:36:22 PM

raptonx said:
Thing is, this sound is only audible when using an application that uses the card's 3d capabilities, aka draws current from the two 6 pin connectors, so it may actually be an electrical sound.

Some graphics cards produce coil whine only during rendering of 3D.

Have you actually proved that the power supply is producing the noise or are you just guessing?
m
l
April 28, 2011 8:48:21 PM

ko888 said:
Some graphics cards produce coil whine only during rendering of 3D.

Have you actually proved that the power supply is producing the noise or are you just guessing?

I actually tried another psu, a turbocool 850, the card still made a very barely audible sound, like a quiet pulsed hiss, hardly noticeable, with the BFG there is actually a slightly louder sound coming out of the psu sort of a buzzing during 3d rendering, though the voltages I noticed on the turbocool were a bit lower on the 12v + rail(11.99), and higher on the 5 and 3.3(5.12 and 3.42), though that is only from what HW monitor told me, I did not use a multimeter and measure it.
m
l
!