Sign in with
Your question
Solved

E6600 overheating

Last response: in CPUs
April 27, 2011 6:23:41 PM

Hi

My computer had an abrupt shutdown & started with wavy sound from the motherboard. CPU overheated message displayed & it restarted. Coretemp & HW monitor showed the CPU temperatures at 80C at idle. It used to be 60C when i used to play crisis :( .

My hardware is E6600 core 2 duo mounted on DG965 RY Intel Motherboard, cooler master 600W power supply, cooler master mid tower, MSI HD4870 GPU and 1 AGP card.

Now the system is shutting down even if i click WMP.

Some 3 months back, while cleaning the hardware, one of legs of the CPU cooling fan got cracked. Should i replace the fan?

And yes, summer has arrived, room temperature is 25C-30C.

Need urgent help people :( 

More about : e6600 overheating

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 8:41:03 PM

Buy an aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ nd some thermal paste like the Arctic Silver and replace the HSF.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2011 8:44:13 PM

At the very least put on a new cooler, even if you get a discarded cooler from someone. There should be lots of overclockers around with new OEM coolers that they never used.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 80 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 9:25:05 PM

ank_gl8188 said:

Some 3 months back, while cleaning the hardware, one of legs of the CPU cooling fan got cracked. Should i replace the fan?

(

You've lost all contact pressure because one of the push pins is damaged, you need a new cooler. You don't need high end.

Set your budget and then use the reviews here http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm to determine what is best for what you want, i.e. better than the original 60C or a quieter cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 9:44:30 PM

One of these will do you and very cheap to, it also has a decent thermal paste pre-applied.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 939 / AM2 / AM3 / 775 / 1155/ 1156 / 1366)

Price here in the UK is currently only £15 / $25 US / 17 Euro

And you will see a massive improvement over your old stock cooler, what case are you using ?
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:20:58 AM

ank_gl8188 said:
Hi

My computer had an abrupt shutdown & started with wavy sound from the motherboard. CPU overheated message displayed & it restarted. Coretemp & HW monitor showed the CPU temperatures at 80C at idle. It used to be 60C when i used to play crisis :( .

My hardware is E6600 core 2 duo mounted on DG965 RY Intel Motherboard, cooler master 600W power supply, cooler master mid tower, MSI HD4870 GPU and 1 AGP card.

Now the system is shutting down even if i click WMP.

And yes, summer has arrived, room temperature is 25C-30C.

Need urgent help people :( 

No need to do anything other than take the fan/heat sink array off (needs a normal screwdriver), separate the heatsink from the fan (use the screwdriver to prise the fan assembly off) then wash the heat sink and carefully clean the fan blades and assembly. Clean the bottom of the heatsink so it shines and do the same for the top of the processor then get some heat gel (not sure what it's called) and apply no more than a drop on the bottom of the heatsink then spread it very thinly and reattach to the CPU.

I have seen knock 30 degress C off CPU running temperatures.
m
l
April 28, 2011 4:09:02 AM

Best answer selected by ank_gl8188.
m
l
April 28, 2011 4:17:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks all.

@13thmonkey, now that you mentioned contact pressure, it all makes sense.

@shag00, i broke that leg while shining the surfaces only :-p, nonetheless help appreciated. Thanks mate
m
l
May 1, 2011 6:05:54 PM

Hi all,

I just disassembled the CPU heat sink + fan, it didn't feel loose on the joints. Now I am thinking whether only the cooling grease/compound will do the trick?

I assume that since contact pressure is not equal (and uniform) to what it would have been had it been mounted on all 4 of its legs, there might be air gap on the broken leg side, since air has low thermal conductivity, temperature will rise. So if that gap is filled with cooling grease with higher thermal conductivity, heat will be dissipated & temperature will drop down.

Now i understand that the effect will not be equal to what i ll get with the whole new heat sink, but i suppose it should bring down the temperatures to acceptable limits.

Right?
m
l
a c 80 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2011 7:28:10 PM

No no no no no, if you've got a dodgy leg replace the whole cooler. Also thermal material works best with a very very thin layer, you can't 'fill a gap' with thermal material.

Buy a cheap aftermarket cooler, for your needs almost anything will be fine.
m
l
May 1, 2011 10:06:02 PM

Totally agree with 13thmonkey.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2011 11:43:52 AM

Yes replace it, you can get one cheap enough. As already posted above .
m
l
!