Sign in with
Your question

HD TV Box to Computer - what are the options?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2010 12:16:18 AM

Hello,

I've just recently built a new computer for my room, and I'm wanting to come up with a solution to watch television, live, on the computer monitor through the computer itself. Many of the questions I've seen answered have to do with a coax cable directly into the computer via a TV tuner card, and I think I have a good understanding that I won't have all of my channels due to clearQAM or encryption or whatever (I didn't look too closely into exactly why). I'm not worried about that aspect as I have a roommate who works for the prominent cable company in town, and another HD TV box will run me somewhere between $1 and $2 per month. Thus, getting another box to do my decoding isn't an issue in any way.

I've looked around on this forum and other places and, if I'm understanding this right, there's a few options. I'd prefer something internal, so I'm looking at the Avertv HD DVR, but one of the reviews I read said it had issues with going HDMI out to HDMI in. That would kind of defeat the purpose of the endeavor, as I'd like to basically have an HD TV with no glitches (my 60" Sony has enough problems as it is - its one of the ones with the blue tint/dead pixel issue from 2005). I've seen the Hauppauge HD PVR also recommended, although it is a bit pricey and external. However, if that's the best solution I'll be going in that direction.

Thus, the questions:

1) Am I understanding my situation correctly, in that these are my only two options? If there are other options I'd love to know about them.

2) If so (or, including other options), what is the better option? Again, budget is a slight issue but if it is going to result in less headaches later I'll go with a more expensive option.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

More about : box computer options

December 2, 2010 10:16:40 PM

Do you use cablecards to get your digital cable?

If so, another option is to explore cablecard tuners. The Ceton 4-tuner cablecard tuner is internal, but expensive at $399.

SiliconDust will be soon releasing the HDHomerun Prime which is a 3-tuner external cablecard tuner and is $249.

Unfortunately, if the Hauppauge HD PVR is to expensive for you, then the cablecard tuners probably are out of budget too, eh?

Here is another suggestion: use a regular ATSC/QAM tuner to get your local broadcasts in HD and supplement that with Netflix/Hulu or TV series subscriptions from iTunes.
m
l
December 14, 2010 7:04:23 PM

rwpritchett said:
Do you use cablecards to get your digital cable?

If so, another option is to explore cablecard tuners. The Ceton 4-tuner cablecard tuner is internal, but expensive at $399.

SiliconDust will be soon releasing the HDHomerun Prime which is a 3-tuner external cablecard tuner and is $249.

Unfortunately, if the Hauppauge HD PVR is to expensive for you, then the cablecard tuners probably are out of budget too, eh?

Here is another suggestion: use a regular ATSC/QAM tuner to get your local broadcasts in HD and supplement that with Netflix/Hulu or TV series subscriptions from iTunes.

I guess a good piece of information to have is use: I pretty much only watch live sporting events. I dislike virtually all shows on television (save Its Always Sunny and Top Gear UK, but I download the second anyway), so the time shift/convenience of watching on Hulu is really pretty lost on me.

As to the cablecard idea - no, we don't use cablecards. So that's also out of the running.

The Hauppauge HD PVR isn't *too* expensive, as long as I'd be doing it right. I'd rather spend the extra cash and get exactly what I want, as opposed to buying something cheap and being irate with it a large amount of the time. With the cablecard issue I think it sounds like the HD PVR is the way to go, though.
m
l
Related resources
!