Sign in with
Your question

Stock Q6600 fan running at 990-1050 RPM only?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 27, 2011 10:33:49 PM

After searching around Google, some people have said their processor fan runs at more than 2000 RPM but I can't seem to get mine past 1050 RPM. I have tried SpeedFan and increased the speed to 100% but it's still at the 990-1050 range.

My motherboard is an Intel DG35EC and I didn't find anything to control the fan speed in the BIOS. The stock fan is a 4-pin one.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any tips on how to increase the speed or fix this problem. Thanks.

EDIT: I would also like to ask another question..

My PC has been auto-restarting a lot lately and every time it does that, I'll get a blank screen while the fans and other things are running and I have to "recycle" the power to be able to see a responding screen. It even reboots sometimes while my system is just booting up.

Could this be a PSU issue or something else?
April 28, 2011 12:11:30 AM

The obvious thing to check for is that the fan isn't being restricted by anything and is dust free. Unless you are concerned with temperatures (check with speedfan) I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It may very well be the PSU but it could as easily be the CPU, RAM or motherboard! Something in your system is unstable - you haven't overclocked anything have you?
April 28, 2011 9:02:38 AM

Check you bios again, there will be something limiting the fan speed. Maybe something like smartfan control or something similar.

As for the auto restarting, check your CPU temps with core temp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

May well be the CPU is overheating thus the pc is cutting out automatically.

If that is not it then yes it could be a number of things. Does it come up with an error message or blue screen or does it just restart straight away.

If you have overclocked revert to default settings
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 9:10:53 AM

Out of the blue system restarts normally indicates in my experience a faulty psu.
April 28, 2011 12:38:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't overclocked any of my hardware and it just reboots out of the blue without a blue screen, sometimes even while loading Safe Mode.

I guess I'll save up for a new PSU since this one is almost 3 years old and it just came with the case. (Yeah, yeah.. Crappy PSU hehe)

My CPU cores reaches 69 C while playing games like ArmA 2 so I'm pretty concerned about the slow fan speed. I'll see if I can find something similar to the control thing in the BIOS.
April 28, 2011 1:38:35 PM

grunt3536 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't overclocked any of my hardware and it just reboots out of the blue without a blue screen, sometimes even while loading Safe Mode.

I guess I'll save up for a new PSU since this one is almost 3 years old and it just came with the case. (Yeah, yeah.. Crappy PSU hehe)

My CPU cores reaches 69 C while playing games like ArmA 2 so I'm pretty concerned about the slow fan speed. I'll see if I can find something similar to the control thing in the BIOS.

Yes sounds like dodgey PSU to me, go with a good brand like corsair and the like. 69 degrees aint to bad, but the lower the better obviously, yeah look in the bios there will be something in there thats controlling the fan speed. Try under somewhere like hardware monitor or similar in bios, usually in there.

Good luck
April 29, 2011 4:40:05 PM

Hmm I just checked my BIOS and it only has Fan Detection in the Fan Control menu. So I guess stock Intel fans don't have manual speed control?

EDIT: And I'm currently running the latest BIOS from Intel's site.
!