Can I change out my CPU without losing info?

bryanmartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I currently have an Intel i7 950 in my home-built computer that I'd like to change out with an Intel i7 990X. I would then like to put the 950 in a computer that I'm building for my wife.

My questions are:
1) Is there any harm in putting my "used" (less than 3 months) i7 950 in my wife's new computer? It will have the same motherboard as my computer that it is in currently, so it will be the same chipset.

2) How involved will putting the 990X in my computer be? Do I have to back everything up first? Will I have to reload the OS and all my programs afterword? Do I need to reconfigure my BIOS (currently configured for RAID)? Will I lose any information or files?

I know just enough about computers to have built two of them, but now I need some help as my experience is very limited.

Thanks!

You should be good.

A CPU change shouldn't violate the EULA for Windows, so no need to re-install.

All your info is on your hard drives, so changing the CPU will no change any info on them. No need to backup, unless you want to (just in case). RAID is a setting in the BIOS, so no change there either. Upon first boot, the BIOS will recognize the new CPU byitself, or you may need to change it. That's the only thing.

IMHO, for the price of the 990X, there are better options....a i7-2600K system.