Motherboard ECS 661fx-m7 will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

plex4r

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
My computer was working fine until 1 day when it quit booting. I hear the drives spin but nothing shows on the display.
It has an ECS 661fx-m7 motherboard and I think it went bad.
Since I am not getting anything on the display using the onboard VGA, I installed an AGP video card, but still nothing.
I removed the following components and tried to reboot each time:
CD/DVD ROM
Memory
IDE Hard drives
Connected it to a power supply I know works.

Still nothing on the display.

What can I try next to diagnose?

Thank you, Bill.

Solution
Use just one ram stick at a time in dimm slot one, typically closest to the cpu area (always with the system off). No system will boot with all the ram removed. After trying each one, then reset the bios by removing the motherboard battery with the system unplugged. Reinstall after one minute. And if you decide to change boards, your original windows installation may factor in as to which board you choose. Hp systems require another hp board to use the original windows. For more advice, please list your complete system specs, including the power supply brand and model.
Use just one ram stick at a time in dimm slot one, typically closest to the cpu area (always with the system off). No system will boot with all the ram removed. After trying each one, then reset the bios by removing the motherboard battery with the system unplugged. Reinstall after one minute. And if you decide to change boards, your original windows installation may factor in as to which board you choose. Hp systems require another hp board to use the original windows. For more advice, please list your complete system specs, including the power supply brand and model.

Solution

plex4r

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
o1die thanks for the help. I only have 1 DIMM in this machine and I removed it and the battery as you suggested and it did not change anything.

Here is the system specs:
ECS 661FX-M7 Rev 3.0
Pentium 4 531 3.0 Gh
512 MB DDR PC3200 DIMM - 1 stick
IDE drives:
Master: Quantum 3.0 GB AT Fireball Plus AS

plex4r

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Slave drive: Maxtor Model 92041u4

Is there anything else I can try, or should I replace the motherboard. Looks like I can get one for $30.

Thanks, Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.