Nvidia driver broke USB mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I just updated the driver for my aging Nvidia GTX 260 video card and for some reason it 'broke' my usb mouse. When windows (7 Ultimate 64bit) loads I get a message saying "USB device not recognized" and no response from the mouse. I can get it working again by simply unplugging it and plugging it back in but I really don't want to have to do that after every restart. There are no warning signs or conflicts showing in Device Manager. The mouse is an Anitech ZX800 Shuriken. I also tried downloading the mouse driver and installed that but it has not made any difference.

Would love some suggestions as to how I might fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

Solution
The newer Nvidia drivers are to accommodate the GTX 400 and 500 series Fermi cards. Drivers 260.89 and 266.58 create BSOD problems (Photoshop, AutoCad) for my GTX-275 card. What works well for me is the previous old driver 258.96

This is a case when newer is not always better!

Win 7 updates also help. I wanted to wait until June for the bugs to be worked out, but jumped the gun and went ahead and installed SP1. No problems experienced so far (3 weeks).
The newer Nvidia drivers are to accommodate the GTX 400 and 500 series Fermi cards. Drivers 260.89 and 266.58 create BSOD problems (Photoshop, AutoCad) for my GTX-275 card. What works well for me is the previous old driver 258.96

This is a case when newer is not always better!

Win 7 updates also help. I wanted to wait until June for the bugs to be worked out, but jumped the gun and went ahead and installed SP1. No problems experienced so far (3 weeks).

Solution

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I was quite happy with the beta drivers I was using previously. The only reason I updated was to remove the Nvidia message every startup saying that an update was available lol. I might try going back to an older version since they all perform pretty much the same anyhow. BTW the driver that caused the problem was 270.61

Thx for replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.