New size/speed drive in old Dell Latitude XPi P133ST?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 9:44:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I've got an old laptop that I still like to use, but it's drive has been
on it's last leg for like 2yrs (berrings going) and it's pathetically
small. The laptop has a 3GB limit from BIOS, and the formfactor is like
17mm instead of the now std. 9.5mm height. But, I was just thinking there
might be an adapter to make it fit? And also that I could maybe put in a
bigger drive and just have it only see 3GB of it? A small new drive would
be so cheap it'd be pointless to try to find a used one of the right size
if I don't have to. Plus, a new drive using only the outer 3GB would be
WAY faster. This think is a disgrace, there's probably CD-ROMs faster
than it is :(
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)
March 11, 2005 7:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Reflash the bios to latest version and it should allow bigger drives me
thinks
<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got an old laptop that I still like to use, but it's drive has been
> on it's last leg for like 2yrs (berrings going) and it's pathetically
> small. The laptop has a 3GB limit from BIOS, and the formfactor is like
> 17mm instead of the now std. 9.5mm height. But, I was just thinking there
> might be an adapter to make it fit? And also that I could maybe put in a
> bigger drive and just have it only see 3GB of it? A small new drive would
> be so cheap it'd be pointless to try to find a used one of the right size
> if I don't have to. Plus, a new drive using only the outer 3GB would be
> WAY faster. This think is a disgrace, there's probably CD-ROMs faster
> than it is :(
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 10:08:45 PM

Fixer wrote:

> Reflash the bios to latest version and it should allow bigger drives me
> thinks

or stick linux on it, which will ignore the BIOS and see pretty much any
size drive.

--
Lithium ion internal and external batteries.
Internal from £30 External from £75 (trade)

Fixer said:
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Reflash the bios to latest version and it should allow bigger drives me
thinks
<see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got an old laptop that I still like to use, but it's drive has been
> on it's last leg for like 2yrs (berrings going) and it's pathetically
> small. The laptop has a 3GB limit from BIOS, and the formfactor is like
> 17mm instead of the now std. 9.5mm height. But, I was just thinking there
> might be an adapter to make it fit? And also that I could maybe put in a
> bigger drive and just have it only see 3GB of it? A small new drive would
> be so cheap it'd be pointless to try to find a used one of the right size
> if I don't have to. Plus, a new drive using only the outer 3GB would be
> WAY faster. This think is a disgrace, there's probably CD-ROMs faster
> than it is :(
> For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
> Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Where do I get a bios flash disk?! This thing's old man!
!