rkprebates

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I've HP SR1710NX, 5yrs old pc. Mobo - ASUS A8AE-LE.
PC does not boot, not a blip or sound, nothing shows on monitor. LED glows, cpu fan runs continuously. No flickering on front LED, or any sounds at all.

I did few basic things to check.
- Disconnected everything including ram, connectors to all devices.
- Removed graphics card. hard drive. h/d good, checked with other pc.
- Checked cpu. Measured all volts on P1 20pin. All volts are measing as needed - 12v:12.28, 5v:5.13, 3.3v:3.31. ATX12v1 rail is also fine.
- Measured battery CR2032: 3v per specs.
- Reset CMOS pins.

NADA. nothing worked.
Is mobo or processor dead ? Is it possible that bios screwed up?

This PC served me so well for a few years - I love this so much. I'm not yet ready to sing obituary yet :( I understand it's not worth replace mobo or processor.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Please ...

When computers get old, the PSU is almost always the first thing to die and it is very difficult to test without a different one you can switch in to replace it that is comparable to the one you already have.

You mentioned another PC, can you take the PSU out of it and put it in the broken one?

Also, take everything out of the case and disconnect everything again and only connect the PSU twice to the motherboard, the processor to the motherboard, and the RAM to the motherboard and try to start it up. There are guides online for how to short the power button pins to turn a computer on, it isn't very hard.

Try those two things and report back so I can have a better idea of what is going on.

Usually the I doubt the BIOS is screwed up, but if you want to then take the battery out for 15 minutes (push on the metal thing on the back of the battery holder with a flat screwdriver and it will pop right out and then stick it back in. I doubt it will do anything but waste your time, but if you want to rule out the BIOS as a problem that is the best way to do it.

When a computer goes from working to not working, it is a processor problem less than 1% of the time I would say, so I wouldn't spend too much time investigating that angle for now.

rkprebates

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
When computers get old, the PSU is almost always the first thing to die and it is very difficult to test without a different one you can switch in to replace it that is comparable to the one you already have.

You mentioned another PC, can you take the PSU out of it and put it in the broken one?

Also, take everything out of the case and disconnect everything again and only connect the PSU twice to the motherboard, the processor to the motherboard, and the RAM to the motherboard and try to start it up. There are guides online for how to short the power button pins to turn a computer on, it isn't very hard.

Try those two things and report back so I can have a better idea of what is going on.

Usually the I doubt the BIOS is screwed up, but if you want to then take the battery out for 15 minutes (push on the metal thing on the back of the battery holder with a flat screwdriver and it will pop right out and then stick it back in. I doubt it will do anything but waste your time, but if you want to rule out the BIOS as a problem that is the best way to do it.

When a computer goes from working to not working, it is a processor problem less than 1% of the time I would say, so I wouldn't spend too much time investigating that angle for now.

I was few weeks off and hence did not check the thread. Apologies.

- I disconnected everything and only connected PSU to m/b. Without doing anything, the m/b fans started at full speed. No sounds at all or beeps. Do I need to add RAM also?
- disconnected battery and reinserted. no change. voltage reads 3.1v.

Thank for your time and attention.

rkprebates

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
My old thread is not getting any love. I'm re-posting my problem and my sincere apologies if I violate any rules.

I've HP SR1710NX, 5yrs old pc. Mobo - ASUS A8AE-LE.
PC does not boot, not a blip, beep or sound, nothing shows on monitor. I don't need to start using front pc switch. As soon as I put the plug into PSU inlet, LED on, cpu fan runs continuously. No flickering on front LED, or any sounds at all. Normally when it used to work, after a few seconds, the speed of the fan used to reduce with just a humming sound, not this way.

I did few basic things to check.
- Disconnected everything including ram, connectors to all devices.
- Removed graphics card. hard drive. h/d good, checked with other pc.
- Checked cpu. Measured all volts on P1 20pin. All volts are measing as needed - 12v:12.28, 5v:5.13, 3.3v:3.31. ATX12v1 rail is also fine.
- Measured battery CR2032: 3v per specs.
- Reset CMOS pins.

I also used stand by psu. just connected to m/b and 2 sticks of ram. same way, problem not resolved.

NADA. nothing worked.
Is mobo or processor dead ? Is it possible that bios screwed up?

This PC served me so well for a few years - I love this so much. I'm not yet ready to sing obituary yet I understand it's not worth replace mobo or processor.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Please ...

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I dont know what kind of relation you got but "it's not worth replace mobo or processor" and "I love this so much" dont stick together.
Btw give him(if your a she)-- or vice versa-- a rest.

No Beep so its not Posting.
Do all these steps 1 by 1 and try to get a beep for each of them. If it didnt post as i said before give that old man a rest.
1) Put all devices in and test.
2) take cpu out (listen to mobo)
3) disconnect ram and test
4) disconnect hdd and test (plug ram)
5) disconnect vga and test (plug hdd)
if mobo give beep for any of them it means mobo is working but that particulare device is not working.
if none of them give beep the problem is mobo or PSU.

As long as i know such no1 repair such mobo if its whats no working correctly.
if cpu is not working, thats not a good news.

rkprebates

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
@Iledin: Thanks for responding.

When I plug in the power to PSU, even though I don't press on "front" switch on PC, the cpu/mobo fan rotate at full speed. Does it give any indication? I disconnected everything on pc and later put 2 sticks of ram.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

So It seems there is no use in Power botton. your mainboard is broken it has short circuit in power switch and maybe in some other places. it might have some melted capacitors too. smell it if you want to confirm it. I had a 1.7GHz 2 years ago and had such feeling about that. i know what you mean. ;)

rkprebates

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

That's not good news that I'm hoping for. I tried to smell but don't get any. I will try to take photo and attach if possible.