Sign in with
Your question

High pitched noise from CPU

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:42:09 AM

Hi,

I recently put together a new desktop and everything seems to be working fine except for one problem. An extremely high pitched noise is emitted from somewhere around the CPU/mobo/vid card. It's tough to pinpoint the exact source of the noise.

If my system is just idling, the high pitch noise is basically continuous. However, if I grab and drag a window in windows explorer the noise stops as long as I keep dragging the window around. The noise also stops when I am transferring files.

Anybody have any thoughts on what this could be? I tried popping out the vid card, cpu, and cpu fan and then putting them back in but that didn't help.

More about : high pitched noise cpu

April 28, 2011 5:51:47 AM

you sure its not coming from the psu?

take out the graphic card and use onboard or another card to see if the item persist.

if it still has problems, it might be the motherboards vrm or something.

what is your entire computer spec?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:56:24 AM

high pitched?May i know is it like a beeping sound or just a high pitched that you think is directed towards hardware operations.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:57:18 AM

However according to me its either your hdd or one of your fans?
Do you have any fans that go along with that build?
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:46:45 AM

I tried using a different video card - problem persists.
Different monitor - problem persists
Disabled both case fans - problem persists
Tried using just 1 stick of ram instead of the 2 - problem persists

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the CPU/cpu fan or motherboard when I put my ear right up to it and not the PSU.

Intel i3-2400
ASUS P8H61-M LE CSM Rev 3.0
Sparkle GTX460
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1.5TB
Antec EA-650 Green
HEC Blitz Mid Tower Case
2x2GB GSkill DDR3-1333mhz
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 6:49:14 AM

So you want the high pitched sound to go away or can you live with it?
Is it causing any problems to your system?
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:58:56 AM

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems besides giving me a headache. If you've ever heard that mosquito ringtone, it's like that. It's such a high frequency that I probably wouldn't be able to hear it if my hearing was worse. However, I'd rather stop this noise than damage my hearing so I can't hear it haha.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 7:01:43 AM

Then if you think its the cpu cooler you could go for after market cooling..
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 7:28:44 AM

May i ask what is the sound like?
Please describe the sound more.
m
l
April 28, 2011 7:42:00 AM

i use to use the stock amd cooler where the stock fan would have this high pitch sound when it spung that got me annoyed.

perhaps use your finger and slow the fan down to a complete stop and see if you can still hear the noise.

if it still has it, it's definitely your mobo or cpu.
m
l
April 28, 2011 7:45:37 AM

It sounds like an extremely high pitch (verge of human hearing capacity) electrical noise. It's not quite continuous, it intermittently cuts out.

It sounds a tiny bit like this song from 0:02 - 0:07 except much higher frequency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5JDqGNXxCU

I spun the cpu fan down with my finger and the noise wasn't affected.

To recap:
Changing vid cards didn't help
It's definitely not the case fans or cpu fan
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 3:41:58 PM

Sounds like its some kind of mobo warning beep thats on continuously, try flashing you BIOS with the ASUS update tool.
m
l
April 28, 2011 4:29:17 PM

It doesn't sound like a warning beep, it's sounds more like something processing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 4:33:10 PM

Ok, you can go into bios and enter PC HEALTH STATUS and tell me the reading of the cpu.
Because the beeping might also come form of spread spectrum.You can disable the spread spectrum feature.
m
l
April 28, 2011 5:19:25 PM

I'm not sure where to enter "PC health status," but I disabled the spread spectrum and that didn't help.

Found another thread with a similar problem.
http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61930
He untangled all of his wires and that worked for him. I'm going to completely reassemble my pc and see if that works.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:31:42 PM

OP:

I had the same issue with my ASUS P7P55D Pro. As far as I could find it some sort of capacitor whine. I don't know exactly what causes it but obviously ASUS didn't fix it with their P67 boards. It's not like a majority of people get this whine, but I read of a few people at least who RMA'd their mobos a couple times and every one had the whine.

For me the fix was easy, just set the C State limit from C6 to C3.
m
l
April 28, 2011 6:50:37 PM

wolfram23 said:
OP:

I had the same issue with my ASUS P7P55D Pro. As far as I could find it some sort of capacitor whine. I don't know exactly what causes it but obviously ASUS didn't fix it with their P67 boards. It's not like a majority of people get this whine, but I read of a few people at least who RMA'd their mobos a couple times and every one had the whine.

For me the fix was easy, just set the C State limit from C6 to C3.

I tried disabling the C6 report in the bios if that's the same thing but it didn't work. When you say the people RMA'd their mobos and every one had the whine, do you mean that their replacement mobo also had the whine?

I also tried using a different psu to no avail and reassembled the whole pc with no luck.

So far I've tried:
Different vid card
Different PSU
Stopped the fans (including cpu fan briefly)
Different HDD

It looks like it's probably coming from the mobo or possibly the CPU. Not sure what else to try.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 6:56:57 PM

Yeah, people sent their mobos back and the replacements still had the whine. There was a few things people did to try and fix it.

You can see here there's a lot of info on it for my Asus board (links to other threads in the OP here):
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2301010

Basically I'm really sure it's your motherboard and your best bet is to contact Asus and try to get a replacement, and hope for the best, or else if you can return the board and buy a different brand.
m
l
May 27, 2011 4:38:48 PM

I am having the exact problem; Did you end up finding what was wrong?
m
l
May 28, 2011 8:54:53 AM

nope, although i think it has something to do with the mobo. i've also noticed that i can hear it through headphones when i plug them in.

let me know if you do find a fix, although i'm content to just ignore the noise. i usually have a fan on my room which helps cover the noise.
m
l
!