Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quality psu at $80 or less, able to Crossfire 5850's ?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 28, 2011 6:17:03 AM

Here is my build so far:

1. i5 2500k 3.3 GHZ 6MB Cache LGA1155 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- $196.64 w/ tax @MicroCenter
2. P8P67 R3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard ---------------------------------------------------------------- $152.94 w/ tax @MicroCenter
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL----------- $69.00 w/ tax@newegg
4. Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD 1 TB ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ $59.53 w/tax @newegg
5. Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower ------------------------------------------------------------------$54.07 before rebate / $39.07 after rebate @newegg
5. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- $33.05 before rebate / 23.05 after rebate @ Fry's


The GPU will most likely be the Sapphire 5850 for $150 that Amazon has:

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Basically, the only thing that I'm kinda clueless about is the power supply. At first, I was just interested in getting a decent PSU that could handle one card, but if I'm getting this Sapphire 5850, there could be a chance that in the near future I'd be interested in Crossfiring it, so it seems that I should try to get a PSU that can handle that, so I don't also need to buy another PSU if I decide to get another 5850.

I would love a quality PSU from a company like Antec, Corsair or SeaSonic. Nothing fancy, just solid PSU. The other thing I didn't really consider though is cooling.... If I do Crossfire, can I just add more 120mm fans to my Antec 300? I'm a newb to this whole thing, haven't been a PC gamer in 10 years. Used to be a 3Dfx guy back in the days though...
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 7:45:31 AM

From this link 2 5850s in crossfire total system is 469 watts.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433...
280 watts just for the 2 cards.
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

XFX 650w PSU $89 not counting a $30 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

newer model XFX 650w PSU $90 not counting a $20 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

jonnyguru review of the 650w and 750w (the 650w gets a recommended)
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

review from Hardware secrets where it also gets good reviews.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/XFX-PRO-650-W-Po...

Antec 650w at $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Couldn't find an up to date review of the Antec.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 3:44:21 PM

What ever you go for, be sure its a good quality 650W, to give you some headroom, and if you have to save anywhere on your system, it should never, ever be your PSU.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 3:46:21 PM

Antec 300 has enough room for 4 x 120mm fans and 1 x 140mm roof fan, it comes with the 140mm roof fan fitted as standard, my advice if your crossfiring, is to fit the other 120mm fans to.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 3:47:15 PM

OOpps sorry it has the rear 120mm as standard to, so only 3 x 120mm fans needed.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 5:36:07 PM

dirtmountain said:


XFX 650w PSU $89 not counting a $30 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

newer model XFX 650w PSU $90 not counting a $20 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



I wonder if the newer model has the fan clicking issue that newegg customers are complaining about. Anytime I see people complaining about a clicking noise or whatever, that does start to concern me. Sure, I could order it, and end up getting one that doesn't have any issues, but then again, I could end up getting one of the clickers. That's the thing that sucks when you're trying to save some $$$ on the power supply. There are tons of options out there, but you start reading the reviews, and there always seems to be a "catch" with each PSU that comes recommended. Hard to find a PSU with nobody complaining about anything. At least in my price range.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 5:38:51 PM

I would recommend a 600-650W to be safe but I'm sure a good 550W could handle it if you really needed to skimp. No reason to though, there's 650W units available for your price.

Good luck with the build, CF 5850s with a little overclocking are great!
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 5:40:15 PM

I wouldn't concern myself with xfire if that's the mobo you're buying it won't do x8x8.
PRO/EVO/Deluxe will though.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 5:45:12 PM

davcon said:
I wouldn't concern myself with xfire if that's the mobo you're buying it won't do x8x8.
PRO/EVO/Deluxe will though.


Good catch!! Didn't see that. Well, the performance difference isn't huge at 16/4 but, you're right, it's not optimal and there's other options that will deliver 8x/8x.
m
0
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 6:27:14 PM

Yep! you can buy MSI at that pricepoint that will deliver x8x8.
P67A-GD55-B3 LGA 1155 P67 Intel ATX Motherboard
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 6:51:27 PM

LarryJones1 said:
Here is my build so far:

1. i5 2500k 3.3 GHZ 6MB Cache LGA1155 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- $196.64 w/ tax @MicroCenter
2. P8P67 R3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard ---------------------------------------------------------------- $152.94 w/ tax @MicroCenter
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL----------- $69.00 w/ tax@newegg
4. Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD 1 TB ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ $59.53 w/tax @newegg
5. Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower ------------------------------------------------------------------$54.07 before rebate / $39.07 after rebate @newegg
5. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- $33.05 before rebate / 23.05 after rebate @ Fry's


The GPU will most likely be the Sapphire 5850 for $150 that Amazon has:

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...


Basically, the only thing that I'm kinda clueless about is the power supply. At first, I was just interested in getting a decent PSU that could handle one card, but if I'm getting this Sapphire 5850, there could be a chance that in the near future I'd be interested in Crossfiring it, so it seems that I should try to get a PSU that can handle that, so I don't also need to buy another PSU if I decide to get another 5850.

I would love a quality PSU from a company like Antec, Corsair or SeaSonic. Nothing fancy, just solid PSU. The other thing I didn't really consider though is cooling.... If I do Crossfire, can I just add more 120mm fans to my Antec 300? I'm a newb to this whole thing, haven't been a PC gamer in 10 years. Used to be a 3Dfx guy back in the days though...



Here calculate your load

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Use good brand power supply such as corsair, seasonic, xfx, and or antec. You can check at internet for pricing or on sale items including internet only stores (i.e. newegg).


m
0
l
!