Sign in with
Your question

5770 Issues?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2010 12:40:00 PM

This is my 2nd 5770. My first was a stock ATI, this was an XFX (installed in late Jan.). I have a Coolmax 600W PSU.

The first card died after I bumped my case, I was pissed, but figured that this was somehow my fault. It wouldn't post and would give me diagnostic beeps.

This second card has been running just fine, I have never gotten artifacts but have not been logging temps as I should I guess. I started my comp up one day last week and all went well until just after the windows logo formed, after that the screen went blank (but the monitor still had signal) and the start up sounds continued. This happened twice more, so I powered down the PSU, took out the card, and put it back in. Now at start up it won't post and just gives me diagnostic beeps. There is a thin white film in certain areas under the card.

I should note that my PSU has been making a high-pitched whine for the past 2 months. Also, I have no on-board graphics.

What could be the problem? If it is as simple as "blown video card," then why have 2 failed for seemingly no reason? I am a college student who just cant afford to be blowing cash on cards and PSUs all the time.

Thanks in advance for any help, sorry for the lengthy post.

More about : 5770 issues

December 1, 2010 12:44:43 PM

you psu is damaged.I had similar problems wit ha dell studio xps 8100 when after 6 months of buying the pc gave me beeps on startup.The dell technician came and replaced the psu and everything worked fine
m
l
December 1, 2010 8:22:12 PM

gtxfan said:
you psu is damaged.I had similar problems wit ha dell studio xps 8100 when after 6 months of buying the pc gave me beeps on startup.The dell technician came and replaced the psu and everything worked fine

Just replaced my PSU with a $90 Thermaltake 600W. It does not do any diagnostic beeps anymore, the system and fans sound fine, and I can hear the computer start up sounds. There are three diagnostic lights now illuminated on the front panel to which the manual says "Another failure has occurred." The monitor does not say "no signal," but is completely black.

I take it that this means my graphics card was fried along with my [under warranty] Coolmax PSU, any [laughable] chance Coolmax would cover both because it seems their product's failure led to the failure of a more expensive one?
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:41:46 AM

yah your PSU probably fried your card your lucky it didnt fry the rest of your comp.
m
l
!