Radeon 5450 video issues

dukenilnil

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Installed a new Sapphire 5450 card in my HTPC. The video looks great on DVI output. When I use the HDMI output, however, the image is very unsharp/blurry and the colors are very muted (I do get sound, however). I updated all of the drivers when I first installed.

I have tried adjusting the overscan and changing the resolution to a few different settings, but nothing clears the picture up

Why would the DVI work perfect and the HDMI video look awful?

I'd use the DVI, but I need HDMI because I am using a multiple HDMI setup with a switcher.

TV: Samsung LNS-4051D (720p)

Thanks

Check the connectors on each end of the cable and the connectors on the card as well TV. Any dirt/dust or corrosion will easily degrade the single from the card and it may be possible that the card could be at fault if it is damaged or defective.

dukenilnil

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Cables are good as are the connectors. I have seen others reported having a similar issue but no answers yet.
I think it's an issue with the way the TV and computer are talking. Over the DVI to VGA adapter, the TV recognizes it as a computer signal and adjusts the image accordingly. Over the HDMI, I think it is reading the signal improperly, causing the image issues.

dukenilnil

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Alas no luck with the easy solution I had discovered. This may be a lost cause but I really need it to work. My HTPC is in the basement connected to an HDTV in the floor above through an HDMI cable coming up through the floor. Don't have room for a DVI or VGA cable to go through the floor so need the HDMI to work smoothly. hmm.