Sign in with
Your question

System freezing

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2011 1:51:06 PM

I've got a perticulary incidious problem currently plaguing my computer. Ive had the system built about a year now with no problems. I7 and an EVGA X58 with a geforce GTX 285. 6Gig of ram, running windows 7 64.
The problem is a complete system lockup, nothing shy of a hard reboot works. I started noticing it when i got dead rising 2 and tried to play multiplayer with someone. A swing or 2 in and it would lock. I thought for a while it was just crappy game code with GFWL or something but then i started seeing it happen with borderlands and Dawn of War 2. DOW2 is the easiset way to lock it, typicly a few seconds after getting to the menu screen it locks. Borderlands locks randomly, sometimes during loadup sometimes a few mins into the game. Dead rising 2 works perfectly fine untill i try to play mplayer. Ive seen it happen once with company of heros when i tried to quit the game. and it also happens with bioshock 2. Dragons age works flawlessly for hours on end and left 4 dead 2 seems to work perfectly fine as well as done a handfull of other games. It is important to note that all of the problem games worked perfectly back in oct/nov time frame.
Sofar i have run the W7 mem test as well as memtest86 a few times with no findings. I've stressed the CPU to 100% for an hour or so with no problems, ive run some stress tests on the video card with no issues. I've cleaned out fans and whatnot to cover a heat flow issue or something. I completed a complete system reinstall over the weekend with no signifigant change (DOW2 played for a half hour then it started freezeing again, it is now back to what it was donig before). During the install i got the latest chipset/lan/soundcard drivers from evga website and the latest nvida drivers from their site. I installed gfwl from their website installer(isntead of steam doing it) i installed directx from the web installer as well. I have never seen it freeze using a desktop app (win media player, winamp, IE, ect)
Anyone got any ideas cause im about to throw the thing out the window at this point...

More about : system freezing

January 30, 2011 2:27:23 PM

This was not associated with a nvidia driver update at the time?
m
l
January 30, 2011 2:54:43 PM

Not as far as i can tell unless it updated itself without telling me. This started up seemingly out of nowhere before I did anything other then standard windows security updates and normal use.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 12:20:49 AM

Ok so i tried the a couple of older versions both let me play DOW2 for about 10 mins before it locked up. I also tryed the stock windows driveres for it which also gave me 10 or 15 mins. All of them still caused a lockup tho so they may have done nothing and the exta play time may have just been a fluke.
m
l
February 11, 2011 12:44:09 PM

Ok so it looks like the soundcard either got some bad drivers or went bad. Disabled that and installed an Xfi which seems to have made the problem go away.
m
l
!