Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Too Much Thermal Paste

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2011 9:45:17 AM

Hi, I am a beginner and I'm having this problem hope i can get some help >_>
i applied too much thermal paste on the cpu and when i install the cpu cooling fan few paste leak on the side edge of the socket(not sure if it got under the cpu-pins)cause i'm afraid if i removed the cpu fan and check it will leak on the pins or motheboard.

i notice after i tight up the cpu fan. i manage to get off some from the side hole, but there still some. the PC can boot up and stay at 23-40c. is it fine if i leave it as that, will it cause any long-term issue?

Should i remove the fan and clean everything up?
and if theres some paste in the socket am i able to use Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier on the motherboard/socket/cpu pin to clean up with?

This is where the paste leak at

More about : thermal paste

a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 10:18:37 AM

Just remove the heatsink and clean all paste off cpu without removing cpu, then clean the heatsink, then re-apply paste on to cpu but only a little about the size of a grain of rice, then use an old credit card to evenly spread out the paste across the surface area of the cpu.
m
l
April 28, 2011 10:28:23 AM

Hmm what happen if there still some paste in the edge like leak down into the socket where i cant clean off? should i then remove the cpu clean the whole socket?

i did some research about this(but im not sure if im able to use this on the cpu-pin/motherboard socket,pins)
i wanna try prepare all the item i might need before i start doing it.
sorry for asking too much >>

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 28, 2011 11:15:22 AM

from the picture it doens't looks so bad ...Uther39 is right just remove the heatsink and clean the exces paste and then re-apply the Arctic Silver paste ..a grain should be enought as you only need a thin layer of paste
m
l

Best solution

April 28, 2011 11:22:32 AM

Too much information will get you confused. I have done lots of laptop maintainess and in terms of paste coming out from sides is not a major issue. Just apple less amour next time. Keep in mind that some pastes actually conducts electricity, if you have paste that conducts electricity them remove it. If your paste does njot conduct electricity it is fine just leave it. And I will also recommend what uther39 said about spreading out the paste evenly. It helps and that is how I do it. Hope this helps
April 28, 2011 11:38:02 PM

dxdlazy said:
i search the cpu cooling fan came with this . Is this Ok?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and if i ever happen to have a issue afterward do the CPU/Motherboard warranty cover for thermal issues?

This is a good paste do not worry if it comes out from sides. It will be ok as it will not harm anything.
m
l
April 29, 2011 1:13:45 AM

thanks Kam_90
m
l
May 9, 2011 2:09:33 AM

Best answer selected by dxdlazy.
m
l
!