Sign in with
Your question
Solved

i5 2500k running hot

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2011 12:48:39 PM

Cpu: i5 2500k new sandy bridge
Mobo: asus p8p67 pro, stock cpu fan. No overclocking until I get it this fixed. (My case has 3 fans and I'm leaving the case open for now to ensure airflow.)
First startup after build, bios said cpu temp was 200C. That seemed wrong since I just started it.
I checked the heatsink, then ran coretemp and speedfan which said I was idling around 45C.
A few days later it is now idling around 55C. I ran prime95 and it hit 96C. I ran it for 10 minutes then shut it off with no errors reported. The cpu then cooled down to idle at 55C again. The bios still is reporting the cpu is at 200C.
Suggestions?

More about : 2500k running hot

a c 102 à CPUs
April 28, 2011 12:52:13 PM

Most likely the cooler is installed badly but why the bios says 200C is a mystery you could RMA the board as there must be a fault with it to say 200C.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 12:53:20 PM

I advice you to realign the hsf.At 96c of prime is still way to high for SB cpu.And i think the reading in bios in quite correct.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 12:55:23 PM

linpack however to me it is possible for you to get up to 90c.Because it is just pure stressful to the cpu.In other words running prime you should get at least 55c running linpack you are bound to get 65c to 70c.
m
l
April 28, 2011 1:46:38 PM

quickfox167 said:
Cpu: i5 2500k new sandy bridge
Mobo: asus p8p67 pro, stock cpu fan. No overclocking until I get it this fixed. (My case has 3 fans and I'm leaving the case open for now to ensure airflow.)
First startup after build, bios said cpu temp was 200C. That seemed wrobg since I just started it.
I checked the heatsink, then ran coretemp and speedfan which said I was idling around 45C.
A few days later it is now idling around 55C. I ran prime95 and it hit 96C. I ran it for 10 minutes then shut it off with no errors reported. The cpu then cooled down to idle at 55C again. The bios still is reporting the cpu is at 200C.
Suggestions?

Hi, the 200C in the bios is most likely a bug, had this in the past, its usually solved by a bios update. Try updating the bios to latest version.

I dont know if you have done this already but make sure in the bios the cpu fan control is disabled, so the cpu fan can max out thus giving better cooling. Also make sure the heatsink is correctly attached, you can always buy some decent silver thermal paste such as artic silver 5. This will all help with temps

Them temps are about right when stressed with prime 95, my I7 was exactly the same. sitting at around 94C max. The best thing you can do is buy an uprated cooler.

The prefilled no hassle water cooling kits are good such as the Corsair H50 etc. This brought my temps down significantly, and its especially useful if you want to overclock
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 4:53:16 PM

dhicks19 said:
Hi, the 200C in the bios is most likely a bug, had this in the past, its usually solved by a bios update. Try updating the bios to latest version.

I dont know if you have done this already but make sure in the bios the cpu fan control is disabled, so the cpu fan can max out thus giving better cooling. Also make sure the heatsink is correctly attached, you can always buy some decent silver thermal paste such as artic silver 5. This will all help with temps

Them temps are about right when stressed with prime 95, my I7 was exactly the same. sitting at around 94C max. The best thing you can do is buy an uprated cooler.

The prefilled no hassle water cooling kits are good such as the Corsair H50 etc. This brought my temps down significantly, and its especially useful if you want to overclock

I have got an i7 2600k and it doesnt even reach 50c in prime.
m
l
April 28, 2011 5:07:08 PM

dhicks19 said:

How big is the corsair h50? I have a sentey gs 6000r mid size case
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:22:24 PM

First thing's first. Reseat the heatsink. I'd be willing to bet it's not installed right, probably thanks to the pushpins. You (or whoever installed it) didn't do it right. Those temps are super high for stock clocks.

Secondly, as mentioned, look for a BIOS update as it seems like the sensors could be off.

Third, buy an aftermarket heatsink. These "watercooling" sinks are overpriced for the performance, a $30 Hyper 212+ with new fans ($60 total) is going to be better and cheaper than a stock H50 or H70.

I'd also suggest buying a good TIM, I like Arctic Cooling MX-3... I know with a 212+ you should get a thicker type of TIM. MX3 is a mid thickness so it's ok, others are thicker though... there's reviews on it out there
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 5:23:22 PM

wolfram23 said:
First thing's first. Reseat the heatsink. I'd be willing to bet it's not installed right, probably thanks to the pushpins. You (or whoever installed it) didn't do it right. Those temps are super high for stock clocks.

Secondly, as mentioned, look for a BIOS update as it seems like the sensors could be off.

Third, buy an aftermarket heatsink. These "watercooling" sinks are overpriced for the performance, a $30 Hyper 212+ with new fans ($60 total) is going to be better and cheaper than a stock H50 or H70.

I'd also suggest buying a good TIM, I like Arctic Cooling MX-3... I know with a 212+ you should get a thicker type of TIM. MX3 is a mid thickness so it's ok, others are thicker though... there's reviews on it out there

+100
m
l
April 29, 2011 3:31:08 AM

Ok I checked the pushpins and they were not all pushed in. Did that. Now the bios says my temp is ~160C.... significantly less than before but still wrong. I'll install the bios update next.
New readings in Coretemp: Idling at 38C, prime runs up to 75C.
Is this still too hot for stock clocks ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2011 4:26:09 AM

Well much better but, yeah, still hotter than it should be. Even the stock cooler shouldn't be more than 65C, maybe even less.
m
l
April 29, 2011 4:56:42 PM

Ok I bought the Hyper 212+ with an extra fan, new TIM.
New temps:
Idle: ~30C
Prime95 stress test: ~48C
Not sure why it is idling still kinda hot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2011 5:02:41 PM

quickfox167 said:
Ok I bought the Hyper 212+ with an extra fan, new TIM.
New temps:
Idle: ~30C
Prime95 stress test: ~48C
Not sure why it is idling still kinda hot.

At stock clocks?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2011 5:05:34 PM

Its good.
I think your good to go.Make sure the case is also kept cool with good air ventilation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2011 5:14:29 PM

Idle is usually close to 40C, that's normal. 48C under load is great.
m
l
May 5, 2011 11:56:31 PM

Best answer selected by quickfox167.
m
l
!