GTX 460 Performance issues

G

I am wondering...I just upgraded from an 8800GT OC to a PNY GTX 460 1GB DDR5 after my 8800 crapped out on me....I installed the 460, deleted drivers, installed the newest ones 260.99 and went to play CS:S Fallout NV and even Fallout 3, but the games are almost unplayable. I can't figure out what the issue is. I have tinkered with the drivers and have already exchanged the card once, which didn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what the problem may be?

My system specs are...
Intel quad core Q9300 @ 2.5 gigs a core
4GB DDR2 Ram (too expensive for DDR3)
1TB Caviar black
PNY GTX 460 1GB
600W Thermaltake PSU

Everything ran fine with my 8800, now its crap with my 460.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
you should be able to max out CS and blakc ops with a 460 and while your cpu is probably causeing a bit of a bottleneck its nto my a wide margin.

still sounds like a driver conflict. follow these instructions and see if you still have the issue

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

also after the drivesweep defrag the hard drive qas a tuneup before installing the new drivers

rshinsec

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
The 460 gtx is a fermi card which means you have CPU and GPU cooperation. I have heard that some CPUs don't play nice with the fermi cards and if you check your GPU utilization during games you'll see it's insanely low.

So try the driver thing, but also don't rule out that you might be one of the unlucky ones with a CPU/GPU conflict.

Don't feel bad, I am too. Running a E8400 and 460 GTX and I was getting way better frames with my 260 GTX