Sign in with
Your question

[New Build] 2.5k Hope Build

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2011 6:43:20 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next few weeks/days

Budget Range: About $2500 max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming [Everything from ME to DA to WoW to Crysis, music, whatever randomness I decide to do

Parts Not Required: I need it all

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg preferred, but saw some cheaper stuff on Amazon, too

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: No real preference

Overclocking: YES

SLI or Crossfire: Hopefully

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'll be using 2 monitors to multitask. I also threw in a sound card because I'm very meticulous about the way things sound.

Build 1:

CPU + GPU: i7 950 + EVGA 580
Motherboard: P6x58d-e
RAM: G. Skill Pi
SSD: Crucial C300 64GB
HDD + OS: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB + Windows 7 OEM
Case + PSU: Antec 1200 + 1000CP
CPU Cooler: NH-D14
Monitor: ASUS 23"x2
Sound Card: X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
CD/DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc
Other Randomness: 2x Sata II Cables, SATA III Cable, 2 x DVI Cables, 2.5" mounting bracket

Build 2:

Includes everything mentioned above however:
CPU + Mobo: i5 2500k + ASUS P8P67 PRO
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB

That's all that's changed. Another question is... will I have all the connections I need?

Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : build hope build

January 30, 2011 6:56:12 PM

Go with the seccond build, sandy bridge is new technology and is much faster, it also overclocks much higher. What do you mean with connections? as in cabling or available slots in the motherboard? All cables you will need should come with the motherboard. Check the graphics card details, sometimes they come with monitor cabling included (mine didn't but it was a xfx radeon 6950, not sure if it's brand/model specific).
m
l
January 30, 2011 7:51:57 PM

orkie said:
Go with the seccond build, sandy bridge is new technology and is much faster, it also overclocks much higher. What do you mean with connections? as in cabling or available slots in the motherboard? All cables you will need should come with the motherboard. Check the graphics card details, sometimes they come with monitor cabling included (mine didn't but it was a xfx radeon 6950, not sure if it's brand/model specific).

Yea, cables. I just didn't really know as this is my first build.

As for the build, the second is good, but is there anything I should change?
m
l
January 30, 2011 8:11:21 PM

Seems perfect but i'm not too famillar with SSD's, sound cards and coolers, someone that knows more than me will need to help with opinions on those :p . Everything else will be great.
My mobo which was the Asus p8p67 (less advanced version) came with 2x sata 3gb and 2x SATA 6gb so i don't think you need the extra cables. But for the Monitor cables, check with both the monitor and Graphics card, as i had to find out the hard way that my video card does not come with any cabling at all.
Good luck building :) 
m
l
!