On board graphics after discrete card installation

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have been reading a lot of reviews and am aware of how different mother boards perform with their respective family cpu's. e.g.:
- X-58 + i series
- 890/880G + AMD

Do gamers even need on board graphics as I am aware that other than hybrid crossfire you cant use the on board graphics any way(e.g.: my Asus M2A-VM).

Wont a 880G board which is cheaper than an 890G make more sense? And are their any 880G boards with 2 PCI-E x16 slots?

Generally,
High end GPU + mid end CPU >> Expensive Board(on board GPU) + High End CPU.

Any views and advice??

Solution
debatable. I choose boards with onboard gpu for one reason and one reason alone.. trouble shooting. if i'm getting an error or my gpu fries i still have the ability to use my computer while i figure out the issue or get my new graphics card... think of it as a contingancy plan in case the descreet blows you still get to use your pc till the new one gets there albeit not for gaming but email and social networking

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
debatable. I choose boards with onboard gpu for one reason and one reason alone.. trouble shooting. if i'm getting an error or my gpu fries i still have the ability to use my computer while i figure out the issue or get my new graphics card... think of it as a contingancy plan in case the descreet blows you still get to use your pc till the new one gets there albeit not for gaming but email and social networking

Solution

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Exactly, its going to take a long time before we can play crysis at full HD only with on board graphics.:p. So is a really expensive mobo even needed?

And how about some suggestions on the 880G mobos??

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Agreed, but do you need a really powerful on board graphics? Wont even under powered graphics do for trouble shooting?

Lets not forget my old Lenovo P4 with 128 mb graphics lol.

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

School??
Me at work man.. chill and thanks any way.

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Ya I noticed. What about the older LEO platforms?? The 780 series etc. Two or more slots are a must as i need to crossfire.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yes i don't think it matters how powerful your onboard graphics card is. even if it does hybrid crossfire with a decent card the difference hybrid crossfire makes is nullified. heck once they start putting a weak gpu on cpu with the new amd and intel chips then onboard graphics cards won't have a purpose

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Hey its got a single x16 slot. Butit can be split into 2 x8 slots. Bit of a waste actually.

When you split a x16 slot into x8 it only takes off a very very small percentage of performance. Sometimes it is so small even in benchmarks it does not detect it. It is a good mobo. :) look at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Agreed again. An x4 is a strict no no though.

GRRRRRR... look, when you split a x16 into two dual x8s it takes very very litle to no performance away! You will see no difference! That is probably one of the best mobos you can get for the price and WILL do what you want it to do. I do not think you get it, it is NOT 2 x4, it is two x8. The x8 will NOT hurt performance! :pfff:

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

I know dude. Chill. I meant that a 2 into X4 is a strict no no. should have mentioned. You might remember thewhen the ASUS Pro had been launched a lot of guys complained that a 2 x X8 is a pain. Actual benchmarks showed little change.

But it does make you think how 2 580's on 2 x X8 will perform against 2 5850's on 2 x X16. Theoritically only half the bits are being moved every second. When you consider tera flop based perfomance that modern GPU's give it seems a no concern at the moment . But more graphically intensive games with more computations could change the scenario soon enough.

I dont think anything is enough any more for more than a year. Its all speculation again.

The 5870 for example would have been one of the top 10 super computers on the planet 15 years ago. AGP's were the norm 8 years back.So.....

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

Dude any help would be brilliant. Feeling old on this site though. Every one here in school while me working and stuff.

Thanks man.