Status
Not open for further replies.

naminaterzzz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hey guys!!! I have a question about what the function of RAM really is. I typed this up and I got some really complicated answers and I want to know in simple terms what it does. Any help?

Solution
This is the simplest way I can put it: RAM is temporary memory. It serves as temporary storage for files in your operation system, applications, internet browser, etc. Unlike your hard drive, the data stored on it goes away after shutting down your computer. Hope this helps :)

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
This is the simplest way I can put it: RAM is temporary memory. It serves as temporary storage for files in your operation system, applications, internet browser, etc. Unlike your hard drive, the data stored on it goes away after shutting down your computer. Hope this helps :)

Solution
Think of ram as a holding tank for data that is fed into the cpu , it is there because the cpu prefetches the data and keeps it there for fast access instead of going to the HDD and waiting for the spinning platters to give the data. It is not permenent storage just temporary.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
You can have more things open at once and still have you computer run smoothly. Some examples of this would be having like 15 internet tabs open at the same time, a program with a bunch of plugins running, or just a lot of applications running at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS