Will this work with eyefinity?

kyle00

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I am buying 3 asus monitors, model number is VH242H. They are all resolutions of 1920x1080, and 24". I want to run eyefinity on them. I am using the XFX Radeon 6870 Graphics card. I was wondering if I needed an active displayport to DVI adapter or passive displayport to dvi adapter for this. I heard I could use a pssive being they are only 1920x1080, and that is the max for a passive, but I want to make sure.

Also, I was wondering if I could just use the two DVI ports on my card, and use a display port to HDMI adapter for the third monitor. I did check my monitors, they have HDMI ports.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
You have the mini displayport connections on your 6870, make sure you don't get a regular displayport adapter.
Some passive adapters do work. More adapters seem to show up daily. Do a product search from your favorite supplier(s), i.e. mini displayport adapters. AMD's eyefinity dongle support list is way out of date, so is not a good reference.
Check adapter specifications and/or reviews for compatibility.
I found a regular (not mini) active style adapter (to DVI single link) from Powercolor. The product box is marked ATI eyefinity ready, and the product itself has "active" embossed on it. It allows 1080p.
And yes to HDMI on the adapter.

robinjunior69

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

I have 3 AUS 242h monitors, took some time to get them to all work as one monitor. FInally I did but now the bezel feature does not appear with the cataylist softwre. ATI says it is because Windows 7 uses their own drivers and not recognizing the Asus monitors, they said to contact ASUS with latest drivers for the EDID. They do show as generic monitors. of course ASUS uses windows drivers so I am told.

ASUS has failed to answer my questions on how to fix this problem. after several attempts. I would buy another monitor, be sure they have a driver installation disk if you are planning a triple monitor set up. Migh twork with Xp but with 7 they will not.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well i have x2 ASUS 19'' LED LCD monitors hooked up (VE198 on DVI) and x1 Envision 19'' (on VGA) I'm using a passive DP to DVI-D for one of the asus screens and a DVI to VGA for the Envision and the last ASUS LED on the DVI port and it recognizes all my monitors with the model number.

Check out my post about the passive DP cable - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304243-33-eyefinity-help-displayport

Robinhood69

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Ihave 3 ASUS s42H monitors and have been battling a long time , they all configurs and work but Win 7 shows generic monitor, The catalyst sodtware shows ASUS monitors but according to ATI Techs Win 7 must recognize them to get the bezel part to work. Did you find drivers for the ASUS monitor you have if so where?

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I don't remember having to get drivers for my monitors but if you can give me the model numbers to your screens i may be able to help

snoogiloo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

Passive DP-DVI adapters dont work. Only reason the DP-VGA adapters work as "passive" is coz they are never really passive since theres a DAC inside them.

But since ur running 1920x1080 u can use a single link DVI-DP adapter and get the price down ALOT. Sapphire has a very good adapter thats working flawlessly (http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=608530 note that this is a swedish website, its just posted for reference purposes). Im using this adapter myself and have never had a problem :)

DP-HDMI adapters will work but you will still need an active adapter. I havnt checked if I can find any of those adapters but i would guess they will cost you more than a SL DVI adapter.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well im sorry to say that ASUS do use Win7 drivers for the screen so no luck, but like i said i didn't need Drivers for my ASUS screens with win7 and crossfire worked with np..

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well maybe for some DP to DVI cause im using that HP DP to DVI with my eyefinity right now with no problems.......

snoogiloo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

And i can bet 100 bucks on that ur using one VGA :)

If ur using 1x DVI/HDMI and 1x DVI/HDMI with a VGA converter (Which as i stated before is always an ACTIVE adapter) then u can use a passive DP-DVI adapter.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Yup 1xDVI from card slot then a DVI to VGA from card slot then DP to DVI.......so no need for a active adapter.

snoogiloo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

Sigh. u didnt read what i wrote did u? :p a DVI-VGA is an active adapter so YES u do need an active adapter.

The reason people get an Active DP-DVI adapter instead of DVI-VGA is coz VGA is old and people got higher standards these days. But sure, if u want to be cheap and go for VGA then u only need a passive DP-DVI/HDMI adapter, but since the active DP-SL DVI adapters is down to about 30 bucks i dont see the point in going for VGA.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
In recent weeks I've seen a lot of active DP-DVI (and mini DP-DVI) adapters for under $30. Most are ATI approved/certified. Many Eyefinity cards have 2 DVI,1 HDMI and 1 DP
allowing 3 DVI connections.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

You got it wrong i didn't buy a DP to VGA its a DP to DVI passive and im using a DVI to VGA on the DVI slot on the card......Look i took 2 pics

20060719123234.jpg

20060719123309.jpg

snoogiloo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

Nah man i got it all right ^^

Ur using an Active adapter in the form of an DVI-VGA therefore u dont need an active DP-DVI adapter. The active adapter dont necessarily need to be in the DP slot. It will work as long as theres an active adapter connected to any of the monitors.

But why be cheap and buy a passive DP-DVI adapter for 17-18 bucks and need to use a VGA connection in one of the DVI slots when u can get a DP-SLDVI for 26 bucks? thats 10 bucks more and u get rid of the crappy old VGA, totaly worth it imo ^^

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well it turned out that shipping was $1.56 and i won the adapter for $0.99 on EBay cause nobody else bid on it but me so i thought why not try it and works fine.