Sign in with
Your question

I5-750 -> worth it to upgrade to 2500k?

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2011 7:49:54 PM

Ive got a few bucks to throw at upgrading my current rig. The 2500k makes me drool, however realistically Im thinking I wont see any real-world performance increase. I had planned on building a 2500k rig but found an incredible deal on craigslist, so I ended up with this one and figured I'd just use the money saved and gained from selling off extra parts to fund the upgrade.

Well, I can do that, but now I'm really second-guessing myself. I've posted this on another PC enthusiast forum as well, but I'm looking for all possible feedback. Thoughts?
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 7:52:28 PM

Well if that deal was really "incredible" then i would go for a 2500k.but other than that no.Are you sure you cant wait for bulldozer to come out then think about an upgrade?
April 28, 2011 7:57:07 PM

It really was a great deal. I paid $1100, got a killer system (i5-750, Maximus III Gene board, 5850, 16 gigs of gskill ripjaws and corsair vengeance, 2 1 tb WD drives, thermaltake A30 with custom lighting and an antech kuhler system) PLUS 4 SSDs, an Antech DF-85, a gigabyte UD4P board, a psyko 5.1 headset, killer nic network card, and a few other toys. I've made about $600 back selling off stuff I dont need from it.

Sure, I CAN wait for bulldozer, but we here all know how it is wanting a faster system all the time lol.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 7:58:53 PM

What the???
You are a lucky bastard!
4 SSD???
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 8:03:40 PM

No way!!!! you can get another 5850 for 140 bucks and that will be a much better upgrade, 750 -2500k is a big jump but go for the gaming upgrade.
April 28, 2011 8:04:31 PM

don't bother unless you're rolling in it
April 28, 2011 8:16:55 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
What the???
You are a lucky bastard!
4 SSD???

Haha like I said it was a killer deal. I sold them all off, I dont need an SSD. I gave some pretty good deals on the stuff, still made out close to 600 bucks on the stuff, and still have a few toys leftover to sell (or keep, at this point I'm prretty happy with how I made out lol). The guy I bought the stuff from does reviews for a PC site so he gets fantastic deals on stuff and put a bunch up on CL so he could fund a new ASUS laptop (which he since purchased, hes a cool guy and we remained in contact).

I thought about getting another 5850 but since I only run 1600x900 my 5850 is hardly being pushed as it is. Plus I can always pick one up for cheap down the road. I have 600 right now I can throw at upgrades, I considered a 6950 too but came right back to not even utilizing the card I currently have all the way.

a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 8:29:14 PM

My guess is that you would see enough improvement to barely notice it. You don't say if you overclocked the 750 or not but if you are interested in the 2500k then you are probably overclocking.

It is hard to say how much faster the 2500k is but someone posted their SuperPi results with a 2500k the other day and I compared it with results I got previously from an i5-750 and the 2500k looked like it might be 20% faster at equivalent clock speeds, plus if you overclock you can perhaps get about 10% more clock speed out of the 2500k, so the resulting speed improvement is in the ballkpark of 33%.

You will need to buy a new motherboard in addition to the new CPU, and maybe a new CPU cooler. I don't know if you can reuse your current ram or not. You will have to judge if the cost is worth the benefit. But it seems to me if you are going to upgrade you should get the 2600k instead.
April 28, 2011 8:34:59 PM

chihlidog said:
Haha like I said it was a killer deal. I sold them all off, I dont need an SSD. I gave some pretty good deals on the stuff, still made out close to 600 bucks on the stuff, and still have a few toys leftover to sell (or keep, at this point I'm prretty happy with how I made out lol). The guy I bought the stuff from does reviews for a PC site so he gets fantastic deals on stuff and put a bunch up on CL so he could fund a new ASUS laptop (which he since purchased, hes a cool guy and we remained in contact).

I thought about getting another 5850 but since I only run 1600x900 my 5850 is hardly being pushed as it is. Plus I can always pick one up for cheap down the road. I have 600 right now I can throw at upgrades, I considered a 6950 too but came right back to not even utilizing the card I currently have all the way.

If you can only do 1600x1900 and you have that kind of setup, plus you have $600 i would buy new monitors get 3 21.5 or 3 23" monitors and if you have the money left then get another 5850 to eyefinity that rig.

5850 - 140
21.5 inch ~ 130-150 ea
23 inch ~ 170-230 ea

all of that equals about $530 - 590 for the 21.5 inch 3 monitor setup plus the 5850. (better if you can find good deals)

the 23 inch setup is a bit out of the range but if you find some good deals on monitors it would work out.
April 28, 2011 8:37:50 PM

Cadder, I have the 750 currently at 3.5, I could go higher but I feel like it's plenty fast as it is. I certainly intend to OC the 2500k, one never knows for sure what a CPU will be capable of but I planned on going for 4ghz.

I have looked at the benchmarks and I love the numbers. But I also know that benchmarks dont tell the whole story and sometimes it really isnt worth it to upgrade an already quick rig.

I planned on a motherboard, of course. Its one of the reasons I am considering basically ripping this rig down and re-building it, to get an 1155 board. 1156 is dead. I'm the type of guy that does a build, keeps it basically the same for 4 years or so before I can do another one, so I am also thinking that in 4 years I really might be feeling slow with this i5-750 and hopefully with the 2500k upgrade it will still be holding its own down the road.

I have an antech Kuhler 620 which keeps my temperatures quite low (depending on the temp in my room, I idle at 28-32, and 100% load doesnt exceed 53). I plan on re-using that if I go ahead with the upgrade.

The reason I havent really considered the 2600k is that I dont need HT and I havent seen much to convince me that I would at anytime in the next few years.

I really appreciate all the feedback, guys!
April 28, 2011 8:56:02 PM

I believe the difference between the to CPU's gaming wise would be much less attractive than getting a better monitor set up and adding a second card. At 1600x900 I could max out crysis full settings and rarely go below 60 FPS and thats with this slow ass phenom lol. So a better monitor would allow better resolution giving you a much better image on screen and the second card would give you pleanty of power to run all kinds of FPS. Were as going the new CPU route your single card would still be stuck at similar FPS. So if your mostly using this for gaming GPU is more important than CPU and more so because you do have a nice CPU. Now if you were rockin a Pentium 4 thats a different story lol. Cadder said you might see a 33% performance increase, but you would realy only see that if your current CPU was close to being maxed and Id be willing to bet that if anything in your system is close to being maxed it would be your GPU. It seems its not but then your gaming at less than full settings. What sort of FPS to you see in games you play and at what settings are you playing at? At 1600 are all the setting maxed out?
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 9:03:48 PM

I think I'd hold out for sandybridge which should be out around Q1, 2012 - Heck thats only 8 -> 12 months from now.

Yes you could get up to 33% improvement in CPU, but that is only part of the overall equation. @ stock I5-750 -> I5-2500K, approx 20% then -> Ivybridge another 205. But with Ivybridge will also come some more MB upgrades.

Flip side, there is always something better around the coner. In this case the coner is very near.
a c 120 à CPUs
April 28, 2011 9:08:25 PM

^+1 i agree i have a few 1156 builds and could care less about upgrading at the moment.
Now a year from now is a different story.
April 28, 2011 9:15:02 PM

RetiredChief said:
I think I'd hold out for sandybridge which should be out around Q1, 2012 - Heck thats only 8 -> 12 months from now.

Yes you could get up to 33% improvement in CPU, but that is only part of the overall equation. @ stock I5-750 -> I5-2500K, approx 20% then -> Ivybridge another 205. But with Ivybridge will also come some more MB upgrades.

Flip side, there is always something better around the coner. In this case the coner is very near.

This is true but if the current CPU is more than capable of rendering the frames than even with Ivybridge he would still see better results upgrading GPU/monitor. There is no reason to throw out a good i5 wile gaming at 1600x900. The frames just arnt going to get anywhere near what that CPU can do. I can say that that i5 is much more powerfull than my CPU and in 95% of games out I see my screen pegged at 60FPS. If his monitor is not 120hz he wont see more than 60FPS anyway so then the next thing is lets get the quality of those frames up. Other than crysis and metro 2033 I can max out all settings at 1080p full on and still only very rarley go below 60 FPS if I was gaming at 1600x900 it would never go below 60FPS ever. So unless the OP is going to be doing something like playing games in windowed mode wile running other programs in the background he will see much much more improvement going with another card for crossfire or upgrading to 69XX/5XX series cards and a higher resolution monitor.
April 28, 2011 9:20:31 PM

im telling you with the money he recieved from the sold parts he could get an eyefinity setup with 21.5 inch monitors and the extra 5850 for about $530-590
April 28, 2011 9:27:54 PM

What they said ^^

The 750 is a very good CPU. I'm maintaining that *now* is a very bad time to buy or upgrade a PC system. Wait a year, or as I recon, 6 months wait should see some decent hardware coming out.
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 9:34:40 PM

@ cburke82
I concur on monitor and even a gpu upgrade at this time, I was only addressing the CPU/MB upgrade issue.

The CPU/MB has very little effect on gaming, as to other software, might notice an effect performance wise, that is gets to blink twice instead of once. Video rendering would be an exception, or recalulating a large stread sheet.
April 28, 2011 9:48:14 PM

RetiredChief said:
@ cburke82
I concur on monitor and even a gpu upgrade at this time, I was only addressing the CPU/MB upgrade issue.

The CPU/MB has very little effect on gaming, as to other software, might notice an effect performance wise, that is gets to blink twice instead of once. Video rendering would be an exception, or recalulating a large stread sheet.

Im just mad because I dont have a medal by my name in the forum lol. Agree on the rendering point.

OP: What is the main use of this PC and what games do you play? Is your current monitor maxed at 1600x900? Because without a new monitor your already past what you need for that resolution were if you were to turn up the res and settings you would get the most out of a new GPU and not a CPU.
April 28, 2011 10:09:18 PM

Yes, my current monitor is maxed at 1600x900. I dont mind it like this to be honest. I like it. I dont use it as HTPC or anything. Its mainly gaming like FSX, GTA IV, Supreme Commander, whatever else strikes my fancy. I know I will be playing SW:TOR and I'm definitely going to be wanting Skyrim. I'm not a fan of FPS games usually but I'll usually try anything else. (Crysis was OK).

Part of the issue is that Im just coming off a system with a 4850 and Athlon 64x2 6000+. That Athlon was always overheating on me and always seemed like it was bottlenecking me so I'm a little CPU crazy now. I want something that is going to last me a good while and hopefully in 4 years the 2500k will still be able to run that generation's games at reasonable settings. Way Im sort of seeing it is that a video card is a much easier upgrade (slapping a card in vs. replacing a cpu and possibly a motherboard).
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 11:06:06 PM

There's seriously no point in it for gaming... if you want a better gaming experience, upgrading the CPU is not the way to go with your setup. Get a bigger 1080p screen or three and a second 5850. THEN you'll see an improvement.

I'm also not sure why you would sell off all 3 SSDs... they're freaking awesome as boot/app drives (plus whatever amount of games you can fit).
April 28, 2011 11:28:27 PM

chihlidog said:
Yes, my current monitor is maxed at 1600x900. I dont mind it like this to be honest. I like it. I dont use it as HTPC or anything. Its mainly gaming like FSX, GTA IV, Supreme Commander, whatever else strikes my fancy. I know I will be playing SW:TOR and I'm definitely going to be wanting Skyrim. I'm not a fan of FPS games usually but I'll usually try anything else. (Crysis was OK).

Part of the issue is that Im just coming off a system with a 4850 and Athlon 64x2 6000+. That Athlon was always overheating on me and always seemed like it was bottlenecking me so I'm a little CPU crazy now. I want something that is going to last me a good while and hopefully in 4 years the 2500k will still be able to run that generation's games at reasonable settings. Way Im sort of seeing it is that a video card is a much easier upgrade (slapping a card in vs. replacing a cpu and possibly a motherboard).

4years is a long time for any CPU to be current. At that resolution your way overpowered as is. What FPS are you getting on the games you listed? As I stated I have a Phenom and on all of those games at a higher resolution that what you play at I can hit 60FPS and it stays there 98% of the time. So being that your CPU is way more OP than mine you very well off in the CPU department. If anything as newer games come out your GPU will become the bottleneck much much faster. So what I would say is if your not in a hurry to replace your GPU/Monitor for better resolution just save your cash and in a year or two upgrade everything. I would guess to say that in 4 years the difference between the one you have and the 2500k will not be that crazy, you should try higher res I can tell you that before gaming on a PC I was happy with 720p. I game at 1080p now and turning it down you can really see the difference. So getting a higher resolution monitor and GPU WILL improve your overall experience way way more than a new CPU when the one you have is still a very good CPU.
!