Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon HD 5830 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2010 9:37:44 PM

Hi All,

so I just ordered/installed a XFX Radeon HD 5830 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) . I have a few questions about it though. Is it normal for the fan to be so loud? When I am just on my desktop it gets pretty loud, but in game it sounds like a jet. It's been a while since I've bought a "gaming" card and compared to my previous card (geforce 220) it's just so noticeable. But so far the performance seems to be good, I get decent fps in games.. I did notice that while I was play LFD2 that sometimes on a texture, there would be some white dots? Is that bad? Overall I just want to get your guys' feedback on this card. The reason I got it was because it's $144 after rebate and I felt it was a good price for this card. I guess right now, I'm just not used to this extra fan noise. Is there a way to minimize it/replace the fan? Anyway thank you so much!
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 9:59:13 PM

I do not think that those cards are meant to be extremely loud. I would RMA it. If another one comes in that is also bad, then I think you will have to live with it. :( 
m
l
a c 604 U Graphics card
December 1, 2010 10:14:52 PM

Why does your product code say "RMA approvel"? (And why is approval spelled wrong?)
m
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 2:36:08 AM

Check on CCC about what speed is your fan speed...
You can reduce it manually.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 3:03:59 AM

Not sure I'd reduce the fan speed if he's having possible "white dot"/artifact problems. I'd grab a screen shot and see about RMAing the card.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 2, 2010 3:14:20 AM

It really shouldn't be that loud. You may want to consider returning it entirely rather than just RMA. A GTX 460 768mb can be had for the same money and is a superior card.
m
l
!