Sign in with
Your question

I Built A Lemon

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 12:53:34 AM

I actually built this system over 2 years ago, but the problem has seem to have gotten worse lately. Every time I play a game, the higher the graphics the worse it is. Sometimes with games like Quake Online or Far Cry 2 I can run about 15 min then the video card overheats to about 133 C (Idle Temp 77 C, and Normal computing 85 C) then it powers off the computer, in a way thats like unplugging it from the wall. To get it to boot again, I have to unplug it, wait 5 sec, plug it back in and turn it on. After hitting the power button it cycles on and off for anywhere from 3 times to 20 times. Again this cycle is like plugging it in and unplugging it repeatedly. FYI : The cycling thing always happens when I turn on the PC. If I shut it off all night then turn it on, it will do the same thing. Also if I am just typing in word, or browsing the web, it never shuts off, only when I put any kinda load at all on the video card. My first thought was the power supply so I changed that to the Antec EarthWatts Model EA-650, I just ordered a new video card hoping the temps are lower.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know, I am about to build a new one and sell this one as a boat anchor. LOL

Antec EarthWatts Model EA-650
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.5 GHz
2x Seagate Barcoda 500 GB Hds (SATA)
BFG Geforce 8800 GT PCI-E x16
M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
4 GB Corsair Dominator Memory

More about : built lemon

January 31, 2011 1:03:48 AM

Are the video cards full of dust or are the fans not working correctly????
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:07:01 AM

Most common cause of GPU heat issues is the fan on the card has stopped working or it needs all the built-up dust blown out. You can inspect the card while the computer is turned on to verify if the fan still spins, and you can use a can of compressed air to clean the heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 1:11:09 AM

Fans all spin fine and I have pulled the vid card and took it outside and used a hole can of air on it to get all the dust off it. It has done this since I built it, its just gotten worse, and I didn't bother to check the temps till like now. BTW I am running Windows 7 and Areo makes things worse but turning it off don't help a lot anyway.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:14:21 AM

If it still runs hot even with a good fan and no dust it could be that the thermal grease or tape has worn out.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:17:43 AM

Also, make sure your case has good airflow. If cables are blocking airflow or if you don't have enough exhaust fans then heat could be building up in the case.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:18:57 AM

I have the side off because it heats up quicker with it on. Also if it did this problem out of the box 2 years ago... then does that mean that they just messed up on my vid card?
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:21:21 AM

If it is a single slot 8800gt you need to take the heat sync off and actually clean it with a Rag
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:27:24 AM

8800GT overheating problems are well known, just do a google search. Sounds like the stock single slot cooler isn't enough. If you have one of the single slot cooler models the cooler itself could be the issue.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:30:26 AM

I am starting to think that the card is damaged though, I have a TV hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable... but sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, and lately my video card is staying at the normal 85C but still powering my system off. And I dont think I know how to remove the heatsink... it has some casing over it or something... LOL
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:34:10 AM

With peak load temps of 133C encountered your card probably has been damaged. Max temp for 8800GTs was IIRC about 110C.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:39:39 AM

I ordered a new one... but what are your thoughts on the cycling on and off thing? Cause it did that on first boot.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:40:09 AM

spentshells said:
If it is a single slot 8800gt you need to take the heat sync off and actually clean it with a Rag

A rag? Try compressed air. Who cleans heatsinks with rags?
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:46:49 AM

A new 8800GT or something else? I don't know what could be causing the cycling. The cycling that occurs when you try to turn your PC back on after your PC shuts down from overheating could be caused by the video card needing to cool down. I just down know about that for sure.
m
l
January 31, 2011 1:47:17 AM

I never have heard about the rag think either... I mean that would total static shock your card... There is a acid-tone to clean circuits but you have to be careful with it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 1:51:49 AM

BFG had a bad run of over clocked 8800's. The only way of fixing it was to run the nvidia over clock tool and under clock the card.. ( ram and processor to near stock ). Too much time has passed and I think the damage has been done..

I clean heat sinks with rags....... and cotton swabs...... and blow air up the exhaust ports on video cards........ not uncommon. Depends on the job.
m
l
January 31, 2011 2:11:42 AM

Q-Tips, paper towels, alcohol, compressed air, Zep circuit cleaner, but rags, i've never had a need to get after a HSF with rags. When you say rags, i'm picturing a cotton shop rag :-)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 2:15:39 AM

Never used a rag on a fan..........
m
l
January 31, 2011 3:46:50 AM

mavroxur said:
A rag? Try compressed air. Who cleans heatsinks with rags?

Clearly you do not and have not owned one so maybe just hold onto your comments as the single slot 8800 GT
is next to impossible to blow out due to the groves on the heat sink as they do not all run in one direction .

Also applying new thermal paste is an excellent Idea if the card has hit 130C

Just so everyone is aware you can remove a heat sink from the video card.
m
l
January 31, 2011 12:24:20 PM

spentshells said:
Clearly you do not and have not owned one so maybe just hold onto your comments as the single slot 8800 GT
is next to impossible to blow out due to the groves on the heat sink as they do not all run in one direction .

Also applying new thermal paste is an excellent Idea if the card has hit 130C

Just so everyone is aware you can remove a heat sink from the video card.

It's amazing how compressed air works for getting into small / irregular places

>_>

and yes, i've seen the card before.
m
l
January 31, 2011 7:46:17 PM

mavroxur said:
It's amazing how compressed air works for getting into small / irregular places

>_>

and yes, i've seen the card before.

Clearly you have not
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 7:53:09 PM

Do you have the latest nvidia drivers?

Wasn't there a bad nvidia driver release that caused video cards to overheat?
m
l
February 7, 2011 12:21:24 AM

Yes, I always have the latest drivers. And I just installed my new video card, it now runs at 29C and 42C in games. Although... it still does that power cycling thing I mentioned before... but this time games run to a point... then I get a blue screen of death... repeatedly... After 2 hours of longing on and blue screening I re installed windows 7.
m
l
!