Sign in with
Your question

Will it really make it difference?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2010 11:07:03 PM

The hd6850 requires a PCI-E 2.1 slot and I only have a PCI-2.0 slot. I heard to make up for the difference I should OC it. Do I really need to OC to make up for it, or does the 2.0 slot not make a single bit of difference? If I need to OC, how much?

More about : make difference

December 1, 2010 11:30:54 PM

your second question would be your answer
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:33:20 PM

Well I just realized that my PCI-E x16 is only a 1.0. Will it still run a 2.1 version?
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 11:41:07 PM

notty22 said:
Please stop spamming with the same questions. You just asked this half-way down the page http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304081-33-tomshardwar...

You did the same exact thing with other questions

I asked a question, and then a separate question. Someone answered one of my questions. I figured since no one had answered my other I would ask this guy. I am not trying to spam. :( 
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:47:29 PM

HostileDonut said:
I asked a question, and then a separate question. Someone answered one of my questions. I figured since no one had answered my other I would ask this guy. I am not trying to spam. :( 

why don't you read whats under your avatar
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:50:19 PM

Did you even read what I said? I asked two SEPARATE questions. One of them was answered. I figured, maybe all ask you too. Well now I know your just a jerk who will not answer my second question. I thought it would just save some time. :pfff: 
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:01:08 AM

Google it stupid
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:02:23 AM

I did, moron. If I was so stupid, why did you even bother answering my first question? Gosh, so many jerks these days.
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:05:29 AM

HostileDonut said:
I did, moron. If I was so stupid, why did you even bother answering my first question? Gosh, so many jerks these days.

well...now i know who you are :sol: 
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:08:13 AM

ortoklaz said:
well...now i know who you are :sol: 

How do you know who I am? I did not say I was stupid, I said "if i was".
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:49:31 AM

There are PCIe 2.0 models of the HD6850. I would stick with one of those on a motherboard with a 1.0 slot as they sometimes have issues with 2.1 cards unless there is a recent BIOS update. This would be a good choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
As for OCing the slot isn't going to limit that card much but it's not a bad idea anyway. The HD6850 can OC a good bit. No real reason not to.
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:53:27 AM

Well, I really want the sapphire version. Would the PCI-E 1.0 do anything? If so I might need to upgrade my mobo.
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:25:24 AM

The 1.0 slot isn't really going to limit the card's performance it just has some compatibility issues with 2.1 cards. Here is an article on PCIE scaling using the HD5870 which is a significantly faster card;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Expr...
Your 1.0 slot is the equivalent of the 2.0 slot at x8 on the charts. As you can see it only limited the HD5870 by 1-2%. It should have even less of an effect on an HD6850.
The Sapphire Toxic is listed as 2.0 if you are really set on them for some reason but it is $20 more. The MSI card really would be a good choice though even if it wasn't the cheapest. The cooler on that card is very effective and also quiet. You can read a review of it here;
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-radeon-6850-review/
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:33:45 AM

Well, I really wanted the SAPPHIRE version of the card. I want the full potential out of it though. I heard that the fps could go down while using a PCI-E x16 1.0 slot. If it does, how much? Some people say its not fast enough to use the full bandwidth, and some people say it is. Will it or will it not use it all. My question is, while using only a 16x 1.0 will I lose performance?
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:42:14 AM

I just specifically answered those questions. What don't you understand about my last post exactly?
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:44:49 AM

Sorry, I see them now. I am not too techy, you can probably see that.
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:50:06 AM

It's alright. The 1.0 slot will only give you an extremely minor performance hit even with a significantly more powerful card so don't worry about it. If you are stuck on Sapphire get the Toxic I suppose. Costs more but it is 2.0 so you should have no issues and the cooling is also quite nice and quiet;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:51:55 AM

Well, my case is not big enough for the TOXIC edition. :(  If I did use the non-toxic would I probably have the issue or would it most likely be compatible?
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:10:32 AM

The Toxic is 9.5 inches long. This is almost exactly the same length as a microATX motherboard(9.6") so I don't see how it wouldn't fit unless your case has an exceptionally odd and cramped design.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:16:14 AM

My case is around 9.5" long
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:26:40 AM

Really? That's extremely small. Is the motherboard ITX? Also is it a "slim" design? If so you are going to need a low profile video card which is going to limit your choices further.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:28:32 AM

What is ITX? It is not a slim design. I would like to know what the chances of a sapphire hd6850 not being compatible with my PCI-E slot.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:34:35 AM

HostileDonut said:
What is ITX? It is not a slim design. I would like to know what the chances of a sapphire hd6850 not being compatible with my PCI-E slot.

if the smaller 6850 wont fit then i cant see any video card worth buying fitting, for that matter I cannot see why it would not fit, what kind of case or what kind of premade computer do you have if it is a mid atx you should be fine if its a micro atx its a toss up, but there is no telling until you give us that info. Also the pcie 1.0 should not effect the card at all, also what are the rest of your system specs?
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:40:41 AM

I can fit the smaller one. build: OCZ 600w PSU, AMD Athlon II x3 440 @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 800Mhz RAM.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:41:15 AM

ITX is a motherboard form factor for extremely small systems which yours is if you really have a case that is less than a foot long. Your motherboard would have to be ITX I believe to fit in a case a mere 9.5" long total.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:47:29 AM

Well the Toxic is 9.5 inches so it should just fit.The PCIE power connectors are even on the side of the card so they shouldn't be an issue. It is probably exactly as long as your motherboard for reference.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:50:03 AM

HostileDonut said:
My case is a micro atx. I have 9.5" of clearance, sorry I might not have made that clear my case is longer than 9.5". Does this look like a good mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Will that mobo fit in the case? case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower PC Case

Are you really going to spend $57, go through the hassle of basically rebuilding your computer, reinstall windows, ect. just because you really need a Sapphire card rather than a (slightly superior and cheaper) MSI card?
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:50:41 AM

Well, see my case is almost 9.5" I think. (clearance) If I got the toxic version, there would be no compatibility issues and it would not be held back by my PCI-E? If I got the MSI card, would I be able to OC high without any drawbacks because of the PCI-E?
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:53:44 AM

If you actually have 9.5 inches it should fit and there will be no problem with the 1.0 port. Check out the pics on newegg. The back of the card is perfectly flat.
The MSI cards tend to be some of the best overclockers around. They also come with MSI Afterburner which is the best overclocking software.
Please stop asking about the port. We can only answer the same question so many times. The answer is still the same.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:56:29 AM

Okay, I will open my case, measure and then get back to you, BTW, Thank you for putting up with me. No one else exept Techmo would. I am very happy with all of your help.
m
l
December 2, 2010 3:02:49 AM

IF you are worried about the size then you might want the Power Color AX6850 1GBD5-DH -- it is only 8.9 inches and Toms just finished a review of several 6850's and it performed pretty well --- Link to article
m
l
December 2, 2010 3:37:15 AM

I haven't measured the card yet, I am using the computer downstairs. When you say 9.5" are you rounding? If it is even a little above 9.5" I do not think I can do it.
m
l
December 2, 2010 3:57:58 AM

Well I can fit it I think, but barely. It all depends on this one thing. Do the measure from the display ports? If so then.... YES! I can fit it. :D 

P.S. I will try to figure out how to put up pics when it gets here, if I order it.
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:32:33 PM

I was looking at the box and it said PCI-E 2.1 on the boz, but out of the box it says PCI-E 2.0. Why?
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:15:49 PM

Weird. I don't know what to tell you. I guess all you can do at this point is try it and hope that it is ok. If there is a semi-recent BIOS update for your motherboard I recommend trying that as well if there are issues.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:19:19 PM

How do I BIOS update? Do 2.1 just not work in 1.0 slots or does it just effect the performance a lot? If this card does not work do you think a MSI GTX 460 HAWK edition would without any performance loss?
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:25:20 PM

It isn't a performance issue but rather compatibility. Most likely either the card will work in the system or it won't or I've read occasionally about issues where starting up the computer will take several tries and/or a long time.
Some 1.0 boards have a BIOS update which clears up any problems. If there is an update for your board since the HD5000 series came out(a little over a year) then there is a good chance it fixes any problems. How to update the BIOS varies depending on the specific motherboard you have.
The GTX 460s are all 2.0 so they shouldn't have any issues but the HD6850 might not either. Give it a try and see what happens if you have already ordered it.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:27:35 PM

Will it turn my slot into a PCI-E 2.0 slot or are there physical differences? My motherboard is a Biostar MCP6P version 6.3. Do I just click the upgrade BIOS button?
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:37:51 PM

Not to be mean, but thats not exactly what I was looking for. I need to know how to update my BIOS for the SAPPHIRE Radeon hd6850. If the hd6850 does not work, would the MSI hawk work without a performance decrease do to my PCI-E slot. When I do a PCI-E BIOS update will it turn my slot into a PCI-E 2.0 x16?
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:39:04 PM

Here is the BIOS page for your board;
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=370
There is an update from this year although the notes don't say anything about 2.1 cards so it may not help any problems. It is still worth a try though if you run into issues.
And no it will not make your slot 2.0. Software cannot upgrade the physical hardware of your computer.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:40:21 PM

HostileDonut said:
Not to be mean, but thats not exactly what I was looking for. I need to know how to update my BIOS for the SAPPHIRE Radeon hd6850. If the hd6850 does not work, would the MSI hawk work without a performance decrease do to my PCI-E slot. When I do a PCI-E BIOS update will it turn my slot into a PCI-E 2.0 x16?

There is little to no performance difference when using a 1.0 slot. Seriously, stop asking this question.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:40:38 PM

Okay I did not know if there were physical differences.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:41:36 PM

jyjjy said:
There is little to no performance difference when using a 1.0 slot. Seriously, stop asking this question.

Well you said it depends on speed of the card, I didn't know how fast it was. Sorry :( 
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:41:49 PM

pinaklonkar said:
Hey HostileDonut,

Can you please read the last post on this URL? It will help you understand this whole a little bit better. It does not matter what card do you have. They will all work in 1.0 slot.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&th...

I'm not sure why you think that post is relevant or why you think it says 2.1 cards have no issues with 1.0 motherboards because it doesn't.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:43:53 PM

HostileDonut said:
Well you said it depends on speed of the card, I didn't know how fast it was. Sorry :( 

It's alright but you've asked that question around half a dozen times now. I gave an article with numbers for the HD5870. You can see for yourself that the difference is 1-2% on that card which is significantly more powerful than either the HD6850 or GTX 460.
m
l
December 3, 2010 7:00:55 PM

The link you gave me to update the BIOS says that it is a update if you cant boot to the OS.
m
l
!