Sign in with
Your question

No MP3s in XP?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 19, 2001 8:30:56 AM

Hi guys, a couple of quick questions concerning my winxp installation. It is a clean install too BTW.

1. I try to play MP3s, and i receive the message "cannot play back the file. The format is not supported." However, in WinXP's help manual claims that media player supports the MP3 format.

2. My modem will not work unless i start up my computer with it turned on. If i start up with my modem off, control panel will tell me my modem is not present.

3. IE6 has decided to start up with out the status bar visible at the bottom. I want it back. I hate having to click view, then status bar every time i load a session of IE6.

These things are really _shitting me off. Anyone have any idea on how to remedy this annoying situation ? :) 

Cheers All!

More about : mp3s

November 19, 2001 7:54:18 PM

Question 1: I didn't have this problem, my media player plays mp3s just fine. Have you checked the windows update site for a new version? I can't remember if I installed one or not.

2. I assume this is an external modem? I could probably think of a few reasons that this is occuring, but I'd mainly be blowing smoke up your ass...so I'll jsut say check for updated drivers, or make sure to turn the modem on first. : )

3. I'll have to check on this when I get home and can play with it.
November 19, 2001 11:27:55 PM

Hmm, its weird because the actual fraun hoeffer codec is installed and it says its working fine. Maybe i should just do a reinstall over the top.

Blow smoke up my ass and tell me some of the possible causes. I wouldn't testing out your theories.
Related resources
November 21, 2001 1:29:06 AM

I contacted my modem company and heres what they said....
Quote:
Hi S,
Thanks for your mail, in regards to your query please note due to the nature of the Operating System having security features, unless you have the Modem switched on upon Start up the Modem will not be present so you will need to re-start the computer with the Modem switched on

Fine with me, i'll just leave my modem on constantly.
November 21, 2001 3:36:32 PM

Yes, that's true, if the modem is not powered on at boot up, it won't work.

As for your other issues.

1) Status Bar. Microsoft has removed the ability to leave the status bar enabled. You must re-enable the status bar by clicking "View" and then "Status Bar" in each new window. At this time there is no workaround or correction as Microsoft does not want you to see the status bar. There's some politics here and we will be printing a report about it next week.

2) MP3's are supported in Media Player, but you should be careful to install the correct codecs and you should definately check out this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp...

The creation pack actually fixes a number of .MP3 issues; however, you should be able to play most .MP3 files with media player right out of the box. Make sure you have performed all of your Windows Updates (In IE, click Tools, Windows Update) as the first updates on the list are for Media Player.

Stephen Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'
November 21, 2001 9:00:17 PM

1. Just noticed that the status bar is disabled if i do a Control+N on an existing window. If i load another instance of explorer from the quicklaunch toolbar, the status bar is enabled.

2. Yeah, i'll definitely check that out. Its pretty annoying not being able to play any of my mp3s.

Thanks
November 21, 2001 9:31:06 PM

Quote:

Status Bar. Microsoft has removed the ability to leave the status bar enabled. You must re-enable the status bar by clicking "View" and then "Status Bar" in each new window. At this time there is no workaround or correction as Microsoft does not want you to see the status bar. There's some politics here and we will be printing a report about it next week.

There is a solution! Open a Windows Explorer window. Enable the status bar Go to Tools-Folder Options-View. Click Apply to All Folders and Ok and Ok to close the dialog and you're done.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 22, 2001 10:23:15 PM

Sweet, i'll give that a shot.
November 22, 2001 10:25:23 PM

I performed that windows update but still can't get mp3s to work. Might have to bite the bullet and order the creation pack.
November 24, 2001 6:07:22 PM

try down loading sonique or something similar for mp3, media player is anti pirate
cnet.com
don'nt forget to get some of the plugins
waggers
November 24, 2001 8:10:09 PM

That's vey strange how Windows Media Player won't play MP3s! It works fine for me.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 25, 2001 10:43:28 PM

Ok this post can now close! I've found the answer. I was using mp3s from my old system. I was transferring them via USB MiniDrive. I think there's something wrong with my USB port because i get the read/write blue screen when i try and copy something from my old cpu. The files still appear on the drive though...but they must get corrupted. When i copy them to my new computer.....XP can't play them. But i put some others from a cd on my new cpu and presto, it works!
!