Fighters and Barbitics

Inquiring minds want to know: Are fighters harmed in any way at all by
barbs these days? Can I blow them up? Or have they got massive armor only
useful in avoiding barb explosions? (Not that that would make sense if they
did) Documentation out and about is conflicting.
3 answers Last reply
More about fighters barbitics

    Below is what the help Docs on Tim's site says... it's conflicting. It
    makes sense to me that fighters might avoid a barbitic mine when flying
    through the field as they are small and maneuverable, if that is the case.
    What doesn't make sense at all at is if they are not damaged by exploding
    barbitics. What the situation with pods these days? I know they can hit
    barbitics when flying through space (what's the formula for that?) but what
    happens if they are within a barbitic explosion? Guarenteed Kaboom or no?
    I'd think that anything within the radius of a Barbitic explosion would take
    damage. Hence my feeling that fighters should be damaged if not destroyed
    outright. Using the formula for barbitic explosion damage:

    hull damage from barb detonate:
    (2000 / (hull.mass + 1)) + 2

    and plugging in a fighter as having a 1kt mass (as it does in other
    calculations) I'd expect it to be blown to smithereens. I'd also expect all
    pods to be blown to smithereens as well. This makes sense. Is it the case?

    Help Docs State:
    Barbitic Minefields

    Barbitics are anti-ship mines, they do heavy damage to ships as well as pods
    and fighter wings. They also can be used to sweep away all other mines in
    the area, including cloaked mines that you can not see on your sensors by
    detonating them. These minefields will not stop a hyper jumping ship, which
    can jump right into or out of a Barbitic minefield.

    An exploding barbitic minefield destroys all other minefields that have a
    center point that is within the radius of the exploding barbitic field.
    Barbitic minefields explode before movement begins so that you can blow a
    barbitic field and clear an area of space of mines so that you can move
    through the freshly cleared area of space. This is useful when trying to
    escape an enemy that has mined you in or in attacking and enemy that is
    hiding behind a wall of mines. An exploding Barbitic minefield does damage
    to all ships in the minefield area. Fighters are not hurt by exploding
    Barbitic minefields, but are completely destroyed by an exploding Laser
    minefield.

    As Docs say:

    Fighter wings and pods are not damaged by barb detonations.
    Fighter wings and pods (when not docked to a ship) are damaged by hitting
    barb mines. They will losse a random number of Fighters (don't know
    formula). Pods are destroyed when hitting a mine.
    A Laser Minefield detonation will kill any numbers of free flying Wings
    inside the minefield.

    By the way: Docs are not conflicting (in this point). They tell you exactly
    the rules. The logic behind the rules is sometimes a bit confusing but
    you´ll have that in every complex game and especially in P4.

    Greetings
    Sebastian

    "Eric" <AzureMonster@AzureMonsters.Lair> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Below is what the help Docs on Tim's site says... it's conflicting. It
    > makes sense to me that fighters might avoid a barbitic mine when flying
    > through the field as they are small and maneuverable, if that is the case.
    > What doesn't make sense at all at is if they are not damaged by exploding
    > barbitics. What the situation with pods these days? I know they can hit
    > barbitics when flying through space (what's the formula for that?) but
    > what
    > happens if they are within a barbitic explosion? Guarenteed Kaboom or no?
    > I'd think that anything within the radius of a Barbitic explosion would
    > take
    > damage. Hence my feeling that fighters should be damaged if not destroyed
    > outright. Using the formula for barbitic explosion damage:
    >
    > hull damage from barb detonate:
    > (2000 / (hull.mass + 1)) + 2
    >
    > and plugging in a fighter as having a 1kt mass (as it does in other
    > calculations) I'd expect it to be blown to smithereens. I'd also expect
    > all
    > pods to be blown to smithereens as well. This makes sense. Is it the case?
    >
    > Help Docs State:
    > Barbitic Minefields
    >
    > Barbitics are anti-ship mines, they do heavy damage to ships as well as
    > pods
    > and fighter wings. They also can be used to sweep away all other mines in
    > the area, including cloaked mines that you can not see on your sensors by
    > detonating them. These minefields will not stop a hyper jumping ship,
    > which
    > can jump right into or out of a Barbitic minefield.
    >

    > An exploding barbitic minefield destroys all other minefields that have a
    > center point that is within the radius of the exploding barbitic field.
    > Barbitic minefields explode before movement begins so that you can blow a
    > barbitic field and clear an area of space of mines so that you can move
    > through the freshly cleared area of space. This is useful when trying to
    > escape an enemy that has mined you in or in attacking and enemy that is
    > hiding behind a wall of mines. An exploding Barbitic minefield does damage
    > to all ships in the minefield area. Fighters are not hurt by exploding
    > Barbitic minefields, but are completely destroyed by an exploding Laser
    > minefield.

    If that is true, it makes no sense. The opposite should be true. If fighters
    are immune to barbs in any way it should be as they fly through them, not
    when they are in the middle of a field explosion. It makes sense that a
    fighter can maneuver around big mines when they fly through but it makes no
    sense at all that they can escape damage from an explosion that can destroy
    ships many times the size of the fighters.

    "Sebastian" <Sebastian@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > As Docs say:
    >
    > Fighter wings and pods are not damaged by barb detonations.
    > Fighter wings and pods (when not docked to a ship) are damaged by hitting
    > barb mines. They will losse a random number of Fighters (don't know
    > formula). Pods are destroyed when hitting a mine.
    > A Laser Minefield detonation will kill any numbers of free flying Wings
    > inside the minefield.
    >
    > By the way: Docs are not conflicting (in this point). They tell you
    exactly
    > the rules. The logic behind the rules is sometimes a bit confusing but
    > you´ll have that in every complex game and especially in P4.
    >
    > Greetings
    > Sebastian

Games Video Games