Help Please - Freeze w/ sound loop - Tried "everything"

kuwatatak

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I am really stumped at this point with a "random" crashing problem I have been having with my Build.

My computer will freeze with a scratchy sound loop while playing graphic/proccessor intensive games.

I thought it was cooling at first, so I replaced my tower with the Antec one listed below, made sure it had 6 fans. 3 intake, 2 exhaust. And i applied Artic Silver Thermopaster to my processor and the video card. This caused the crashes to happen less frequently, but it still happens. (onces every 2-4 hours of gaming, compared to once ever 30 minutes)

I also replaced my Hardrive (mostly becuase i wanted a new one), and my power supply from a 500w, to a 730w.

I built 2 of these systems when I made it, and gave one to my brother. He has never experienced this crash with his system.

I have reinstalled windows 7, but this didnt help either.

I put my old video card in the computer, and the crash still happens. Though it happens less.

My next step is going to be replaceing the RAM / changes the voltage sent to it. after that I am going to buy a new motherboard.

I noticed a week ago that my motherboard doesnt post when I turn it on, I suspect that I have had a faulty motherboard all along? Even without the classic beep when it turns on, everything loads up normal and runs normal as far as i can tell.

any ideas??? Im stumped and really dont want to shell out another 200$ for a new motherboard just for the problem to continue.

My build:

Antec Three Hundred Illsion Black Steel ATX Mid tower (w/ 6 fans)

Asus M4A87TD evo AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (juniper XT) 1gb 128-bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Video Card

AMD Phenom II x4 3.4GHz AM3 125w Quad-Core Processor

Ripjaws series 4GB (2x2GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600 Memory

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM 2.0gb/s 3.5: internal hardrive

Thanks in advance.

moumix

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I'm afraid i can't offer any suggestions of what to try in this instance (though it sounds like addressing the RAM is a good next step for you, what about running with a single stick of RAM?)

Just thought i would add something since i have a very similar problem - I had the very regular crashing in that manner, scratchy soundloop but otherwise frozen... then my motherboard failed to post entirely & i was forced to replace it. Now i'm up and running on a new motherboard but the crash remains! albeit once a day as opposed to every few hours.

I can only think that something else was causing the crashing and killed the mobo, i have no idea what, though! So from my experience i would suggest not just restarting and going back to gaming, while you get it sorted.