Sign in with
Your question

New upgrade and a few possible outcomes!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2011 6:28:36 AM

I was expecting to spend 1,000 on my upgrade but to save the sap story, I have split my entire cart in half.

Current Build:
965BE C3
890FXA-UD5 rev1
Hyper 212+
HX650
Gskill 2x2gb 1600cas7
Giga 5770SO
Caviar Black 1tb
Asus DVD
CM 690 2 advanced
Win 7 64 Ultimate
---------------------------

I want to get the most performance I can with my funds of roughly $500-$590 tops

First Half:
Sandy 2600K
Asus P8P67 Deluxe=578$ (Other motherboards could sufice, for other upgrades)

Second Half:
Gskill 2x2gb 1600cas7
Giga 5770SO
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb
SpinPoint F3 1tb
Scythe Kaze Master
3xFans to fill case=473$ (Just exact things I wanted to get with my Sandy/Mobo)

-------------------------------

A more logical second half would be a 16gb set of RipJaw X's and a 128gb SSD=590$ish depending

Anyways, I am looking for a more powerhouse desktop and have to debate on my current state. It was easier just getting the whole sha-bang, but I feel that the 2600k Sandy is so powerful that nothing else would be equal it.

I am positive I don't want to wait until Bulldozer, especially if AM3 doesn't work, I would freak. I know that I probably won't be doing another upgrade this big until maybe Christmas.

So if you have an opinion or another idea, please let me know.

More about : upgrade outcomes

January 31, 2011 10:37:48 AM

Hey there,

I would say that your current build is more than adequate for your current needs. If you do want to make an upgrade, I would suggest the following:
ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB - $389
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ Vertex 2, 120GB SSD - $199
Total = $588 + shipping

Your current desktop processor is more than adequate; you are being bottle-necked by your graphics card (unless you are running them in CrossFire). I would suggest getting this ATI 6970 and a larger SSD. Both will make your system so much more powerful.

-Klosteral
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2011 12:22:44 PM

I kinda agree with Klosteral, since the biggest bottle neck you have is probably the HDD and GPU, so getting an 6970 and a 120GB SSD, you would really eliminate most of your bottle-neck. And THEN get the Sandy Bridge setup later on.
m
l
January 31, 2011 5:16:54 PM

Well I was just put on a back order instead of getting my stupid Archos 101 that was clearly instock when I ordered. So I have completely given up on getting one of those gay tablets. I swear to god this is like the third time I have been burned by putting stock up and not having it.

So I am not going to try again. 361$+590ish= 850-951$ is what I will just spend in parts. I should get that vertex 2 while its on shell shocker!
m
l
January 31, 2011 5:47:33 PM

Anyways, I do like like my mobo, the 965 is nice and all, but if in several differnt universes I bought all the proposed sets, would having a hardcore performing SSD and hardcore Video Grapics with my current setup, beat that of the 2600K/asus mobo in a battle?

I almost think so because the ssd would woop, and so would the GPU.

However with the lastest developments I could almost afford all of it!
m
l
January 31, 2011 7:12:05 PM

I am regretful of the Caviar sata3 drive, but I am getting my mom a video card but I don't think her 300 watt psu can handle the 5770.
I could spend the graphics card money for her on a new PSU for here, I can't find the psu that was recommended to for around 50ish dollars.
This way when I get a new one, I can just toss the 5770 into her HP desktop!

My HX650 should handle at least one 6970 but has connections for two. I am reconsidering the Sandy even know she is
fanominal when it comes to benchmarks.

But can you recommend me something with the new budget price of 900$??? Please!

m
l
February 1, 2011 2:58:01 AM

I would still say that you should get the SSD and the 6970. I really do not think you need to buy another motherboard and CPU; your 965 is definetely powerful enough already. If you wanted more out of it, you could either overclock the 965 or buy a new AMD 6 core processor.

ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB - $390
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102916
OCZ Vertex 2, 120GB SSD - $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820227551
+
AMD AM3 Phenom II x6 1100T 3.3GHz - $260
Total = $850 + shipping

I really do not think you need much more than that.

-Klosteral
m
l
February 1, 2011 3:18:09 AM

Ok fellas, I got up on that 1$=1gb deal on the Vertex 2. After MIR its going to be .85$=1gb, but yeah it was a sweet deal.

My uncle is going to give me his 5770, which is the same as mine.
I called him up letting me know I might need help when installing my heatsink again(cause I was considering sandy). Last time I wasn't able to hold down firmly on the 212+ while it got screwed in by myself.

I also bought a 2nd set of Gskill rip jaw 1600 cas7, so now I will have 4x2gb's 1600cas7.

Then I threw in 2x140mm fans and a 120mm fan, to fill in the 80mm's that I zipped tied on.lol

Then lastly I bought a spinpoint F3 1tb for more storage room. I am pissed I ever spent the 90$ on the stupid sata3 thinking I am going to get double speed with the Caviar black. pff

Anyways I really needed extended storage.

I didn't spend as much but get this; I bought an iPad with all the extras and 1 year insurance. I returned it because I realized I spent 950$ combined.

I have ordered all these parts and an Archos 101 and still have leftovers. and yes I actually found a legit place that had one in stock. THe archos 101 is one hard sun of a gun to find.

m
l
February 1, 2011 3:25:03 AM

I am such and idoit. I got the 120gb for 199$. 1.6$=1gb dur! or after mir 1.4$=1gb
m
l
February 1, 2011 3:27:21 AM

Ok then, nice job.

I think that you could not have gotten a better deal on the SSD. 1GB=$1 is a great price. If I lived in the US I would have bought some too. It is evident that you are planning on running the two 5770s in CrossFire and though I would still say one good single card is better than two slower cards, you got them 'free' so I would not complain. The extra RAM may or may not be needed, so you shall see. It was a wise move to put in the extra fans; you will need them.

I would never buy an iPad anyway...

I applaud your good finds,
-Klosteral
m
l
February 1, 2011 3:47:33 AM

This is my new build once I get the parts in:

AMD 965C3
890FXA-UD5
HX650
2x5770SO
Hyper 212+ 120mm push/pull facing upwards
8gb Gskill 1600 cas7
1tb Caviar Black
1tb Spinpoint F3
120gb Vertex 2
CM 690 2 advanced-1x140 front, 2x140mm top, 120mm back, 140mm left side, 70mm in vga bracket, 80mm HD cage!
Asus DVD
Windows 7 Ultimate
2xH223H 23"
m
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2011 4:30:53 AM

Ok I was really unclear of the details discussed but have we gone over the fact that Bulldozer and SB are releasing in the same quarter now? All of SB's have been recalled and Newegg doesn't even sell a single SB mobo or CPU because of the SATA 2 issue. Another thing being, I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the SB socket will be replaced to fix this issue. So yeah....

Another thing, you don't need to worry about Bulldozer not fitting on AM3. It won't. AMD already announced the compatability. AM3+ boards will fit AM3 and AM3+ cpus, but AM3 boards will not fit AM3+ chips, only AM3. So suffice to say, I think you should save all that 1000$ not for a new upgrades, but for a new system. You could easily build another SB or BD build for 1000$ we've seen the pricing already and it's easy to judge that that'd be the consensus.
m
l
February 1, 2011 4:57:32 AM

aznshinobi said:
Ok I was really unclear of the details discussed but have we gone over the fact that Bulldozer and SB are releasing in the same quarter now? All of SB's have been recalled and Newegg doesn't even sell a single SB mobo or CPU because of the SATA 2 issue. Another thing being, I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the SB socket will be replaced to fix this issue. So yeah....

Another thing, you don't need to worry about Bulldozer not fitting on AM3. It won't. AMD already announced the compatability. AM3+ boards will fit AM3 and AM3+ cpus, but AM3 boards will not fit AM3+ chips, only AM3. So suffice to say, I think you should save all that 1000$ not for a new upgrades, but for a new system. You could easily build another SB or BD build for 1000$ we've seen the pricing already and it's easy to judge that that'd be the consensus.

You have great info, but you do what I do everyday, just read the headline and write the best response, even though it might be late.

I was wondering why sandy was completely gone.lol I didn't get thuban orignally(Aug 31,2010) when I bought all my parts because I was hoping to wait a year and use my nice mobo with a Dozer.

My parts are all sufficient to be part of my next build which will probably be around Aug 31, because I get school money and b day money, so I will probably use the same case, psu, gpus, hd's, sdd, dvd, and memory, and Spend hardcore on a dozer w/heatsink and mobo.

I am glad now that I didn't get SB, all I really need is a CPU and Mobo when the Doze comes, then depending on what else is available I will upgrade.

Thanks for all the info, I didn't know about sb or if AM3 would fit the BUll. I ususally use most my opinions, but I have a good system and will sufice for the rest of Spring school and tons of gaming through the Summer!
m
l
February 1, 2011 5:19:23 AM

So i did give you some useful info :D 
m
l
February 1, 2011 5:34:46 AM

yea fo sho. I know now I need to expect to pony up for a motherboard along with a new AMD Bulldozer. pfsh

It probably won't be until the end of the year, I just hope the top cpu is 300$ and a top mobo is 200$ kind of like with the thuban.

I am considering a blu-ray, but I need twice the money to get the blu ray burner.
m
l
February 1, 2011 9:45:32 PM

Well sometimes you don't need the top of everything. An example SB.

The "Best" (i say that with quotes) motherboard for SB was the Maximus ROG. But then again, that was 300$. But the Asrock Extreme4 was half the price for the same performance. It had 3 16x 2.0 slots running at 8x/8x/4x. And could run SLI/CF and overclock the 2500K/2600K to 5.1ghz on air cooling. Sometimes you don't need the best.

As for chips, the 2500K is 100$ less than the 2600K but can keep on par and be overclocked easily as well. So yeah....

Anyways in the case of AMD I think pricing will follow Phenom II's pricing. The main reason being they plan to release many different chips of the BD series. An 8-core, 6-core, 4-core. Which all are supposed to match up with certain Intel chips. I think that the plan was for Scorpius to match up with the i5 750's level/2500K and for the Zambezi (8-core I believe) to match with the i7's.
m
l
February 1, 2011 9:56:28 PM

Well I wouldn't mind an eight core multi-threaded processor!

Imagine having 8 cores to do all your work, let alone their threads. I guess I will wait, to see whats up with AMD's BD.

They charged around 300 for the top thuban at first, so I hope they do the same. I am pissed cause my mobo is just fine and cpu won't be when BD comes, so it would be dumb for me to buy a BD motherboard just to stick a AMD 965 in.

Obviously some our going to do this, but I rather save up and get both at the same time!
m
l
February 1, 2011 10:13:06 PM

Wow you have more patience than most users on this forum (no offense to them) but why would you not wait and get a platform that will be dead in 2 months HAHA. XD
m
l
February 1, 2011 10:36:23 PM

your saying bulldozer will be dead in two months, or two months after it comes out?

Since I will have to get a motherboard and cpu, I will have to choose between IB, SB and BD. Quite possibly IB will probably be better so it will matter once I have money again!
m
l
February 1, 2011 10:42:01 PM

No I mean AM3, As in the current platform and 1156/1366 as in P55 and X58 will be dead in 2 months. Since SB releases in April, BD in Q2 and IB in Q2 as well I believe.
m
l
February 1, 2011 11:08:28 PM

I had the idea that Ivy was Q4 and Q3 soonest. and Dozer was also Q3-Q4??

Well I guess I made a correct choice as for cranking my computer up. I will have to save all my dollars so that I can purchase these things.

My readings showed Sandy w/ Bulldozer this year and Ivy and Bulldozer+ end of year-2012?

Well sandy bridge benchmarks were at levels only conceived by 1000$ chips, so I want one. I still have money and expect more throughout the year, so I will probably wait until AMD throws there hat in the ring.

Either way I want one of the next gen chips!
m
l
February 2, 2011 1:52:58 AM

To get this AMD chip and board, do you think I should save about 500$?? I am a student, but when I want something bad enough, I will hoard my money even if it makes my life less comfortable. I have roughly 100 to blow now, but I will keep since this news. Then I will get about 200 from my cousin, So that would leave me with 200$ to earn by the time it releases.

m
l
February 2, 2011 3:17:07 AM

Since I have gotten some good advice. I am ordering my Mom a video card for her HP P6310Y, purchased in 2010.

It has one pci-e 2.0 lane, and a 300 watt power supply.

I put my ole 9400GT in it which was purchased exactly one year ago, after my 9800GT died.

The 9400GT was enough performance for her setup, it has two monitors one HP 20" 2009m and one old 19" no name.

All my nvidia video cards have all died because of faliure, and the 9400GT fan is dead. So I am wanting fanless.

Here is what I have picked:

Best: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Medium: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I want anything 50$ or below pre-MIR.

I also plan to buy me the Kaze Master fan controller because I don't want any of my fans hooked via psu.
m
l
February 2, 2011 3:29:23 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Any of those should do, especially since they have eyefinity.

I think the 4650 would give you more graphical power, but that's just me. Especially since your mother isn't exactly using it to play games, DX11 won't really matter.
m
l
February 2, 2011 3:49:28 AM

Well the games played are facebook games and flash games when people like my nephews use it.

Pretty much she does basics internet, photos, music and remote desktop from her work server. Movies are about as hardcore as it gets. So I want something that will play movies the best!

According to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

4650 and 4670 are over 8 tiers higher than the 9400GT is. While the 5450 is at the same tier!

This is the one I wanted http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 2, 2011 5:35:45 AM

I was going to suggest that, but you said that you wanted something below 50$. So I resorted to the 4650. It'll handle all your wants, plus it has DVI, VGA, and HDMI ports for monitors so your mother will be able to run one of her monitors (the no name one) on DVI/VGA and her nicer one on HDMI.
m
l
!